(OT) Why do you use Facebook?

Page 2 of 3  
On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 4:48:14 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

...snip...

I do not use Facebook, based on a long-ago request from my "kids". They are all adults now, ranging in age from 23 - 28 and have been on Facebook since high school. Back then we sat down and discussed the pros and cons of the internet and specifically Facebook. I trusted my kids back then and I trust them even more now. They requested that SWMBO and I not join Facebook so that they could have their privacy. We went along with that request.
All 4 have my kids have become productive adults and, more importantly, good people. The boys have very good jobs, one daughter just earned a dual-Masters degree and found a great job even before she graduated. The other daughter will earn her Masters in 2017 and is already working in the Senior Living environment, building programs to enhance the lives of *us*, as part of the aging population.
We talk all the time via phone, email and text. We are all on great terms and they have always respected our opinions and advice. We let them have their Facebook space and it has worked out just fine.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/6/2016 9:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

1) You don't need to be in contact with your family to use facebook. You can be part of a social circle of neighbors, work associates, hobbies, etc. 2) I used to have my Father as a FB contact. He was really impolite about some thing, can't remember what. And I unfriended him. Of course, this is the man who used to read letters I had written, whenever he found them. Such as left on the kitchen table before I went to the post office. He'd mark them up with proof readers marks, and comments. Sounds like you're a lot more respectful than my Father.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 9:37:01 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It sounds like your father was trying to teach you to be a better writer. If I saw paragraph (2) above lying on the kitchen table, I'd probably mark it up also.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/6/2016 10:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Change of subject noted.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/6/2016 9:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Please consider another father talk with your kids. Anything posted to FB is public info. Regardless of privacy settings. Sounds like your kids need some instruction on how to NOT post personal information on the computer.
- . Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . .
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 9:54:50 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why do you think I need to talk to my kids? What in my original post indicates that my kids don't understand how Facebook works? Why do you think that they are posting "personal information on the computer"?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/6/2016 10:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

1) Some thing they are posting, they don't want you to see 2) Nothing. What, in my reply, makes you think I said any thing about your kids knowing how FB works? 3) Because they asked *you* not to be on FB
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 10:52:58 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not true. Wanting their privacy is very different than not wanting us to see what they post. That might be hard for some to understand, but I get it. In addition, we have lots of family members, including my (and SWMBO's) brothers and sisters who are FB friends with my kids. If my kids were trying to hide things from us, Facebook would not be the place to do it. They simply asked for some separation and we honored that request. It's called trust and respect.

I quote: "Please consider another father talk with your kids. Anything posted to FB is public info. Regardless of privacy settings."
Why would you suggest that I have "another" talk with my kids and then follow that with an explanation of how Facebook works unless you thought that they needed it explained to them?
If the talk is not supposed to be about Facebook privacy settings/issues, just what are you suggesting that I talk to them about?

That was addressed in #1 above.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/6/2016 11:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I will say it sounds a little strange considering the rest of your family joins in. Aunts and Uncles OK, but keep mom and dad out of this.
We have the opposite. My kids have been after us to join. My wife did so she can see photos of the grandkids and such, but does nothing else. I prefer not to join.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/6/2016 11:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have a sibling who was diagnosed with leukemia ten years ago. She kept it a secret from everyone in the family except for one sister, but she shared it on Facebook with her friends and acquaintances. She slipped up last year and made a cryptic reference to her 'condition' in a FB post shared with family. After a casual question was asked of the sister in the know ("So - what's up with Sis?"), she broke down and let the cat out of the bag. Sister with leukemia has now disowned us for intruding on her privacy.
Yes, she's nuts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 2:30:29 PM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I hope that you (and the rest of the disowned family) will be there for her if the need arises. Don't hold her nuttiness against her. Illness and stress can make us do some weird stuff, but very few of us want to suffer alone.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/6/2016 11:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hey, if you don't want to take my advice, that's fine. Why spend post after post blathering on and on about it? Methinks thou doth protest too much. If you were truly comfortable and secure, you could easily have said no thank you, and been done with it. Why are you making so much effort, and changing the subject?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 4:13:12 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is that the best defense you have for your erroneous post?
You know, you could just admit your error. Yes, it is legal and ethical to apologize on usenet.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/6/2016 9:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm not defending any thing. I'm suggesting to you that there are other ways to handle a moment when you don't like a suggestion.
And, no, I will not apologize for making a sincere suggestion. You may wish to apologize for goal post shifting, changing the subject, and taking offense when none was meant.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 12:53:01 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Your suggestion was based on your assumption that my kids "need some instruction on how to NOT post personal information on the computer. " (your words)
That assumption was incorrect. That assumption was also a change of subject.
You are assuming that I took offense. That is another incorrect assumption. I was not offended by your suggestion, but I do have the right to ask you why you made it. When you give your reasons, I have the right to point out the error in your thought process. That's called a conversation.
You say that I don't want to take your advice. That is also incorrect. It's not that I don't *want* to take your advice, it's that I don't *need* to take your advice. Your suggestion was based on an incorrect assumption related to my kids' knowledge of internet privacy issues. You brought it up, I responded. Again, that's called a conversation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/7/2016 2:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, for a guy who's not offended and not concerned what I think, you sure ramble on a lot. Have you considered just taking my suggestion, and apologizing for wasting so much of your and my time?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 8:54:54 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Who said I wasn't concerned with what you think? The mere fact that I have tried to point out the error in your assumption shows that I care. That certainly doesn't mean I'm offended. Once again, it's called "conversation".

Why would I consider taking a suggestion that doesn't fit the situation?
You made an incorrect assumption and you made a suggestion based on that incorrect assumption. All I've tried to do is explain why your assumption was incorrect. Once again, it's called "conversation".

Thank you for your concern about my time. I don't feel it's been wasted, but thanks anyway. As far as *your* time, I can't waste that, only you can. If you consider this conversation to be a waste of your time, feel free to stop reading my responses and then responding. Only you have the power to decide how to spend your time.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/7/2016 9:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yet another goal post shift. You're flailing around in the dark trying to get some thing to stick to me. In this case, it's about me, now, and wasted time. What a pathetic, failed effort. I make a simple and correct suggestion, and you waste endless time trying to establish some false and goofy assertion about it being my problem.
I bet you do this with other people in your life. When your doctor tries to write you a prescription, do you spend the next three days trying to get your doctor to admit that he's mistaken?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 10:06:56 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Change of subject noted
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/7/2016 10:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep, we went from Derby having a conversation with his kids to Chris and his suggestion.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.