(OT) Why do you use Facebook?

It sounds like your father was trying to teach you to be a better writer. If I saw paragraph (2) above lying on the kitchen table, I'd probably mark it up also.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

1) Some thing they are posting, they don't want you to see 2) Nothing. What, in my reply, makes you think I said any thing about your kids knowing how FB works? 3) Because they asked *you* not to be on FB
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not true. Wanting their privacy is very different than not wanting us to see what they post. That might be hard for some to understand, but I get it. In addition, we have lots of family members, including my (and SWMBO's) brothers and sisters who are FB friends with my kids. If my kids were trying to hide things from us, Facebook would not be the place to do it. They simply asked for some separation and we honored that request. It's called trust and respect.

I quote: "Please consider another father talk with your kids. Anything posted to FB is public info. Regardless of privacy settings."

Why would you suggest that I have "another" talk with my kids and then follow that with an explanation of how Facebook works unless you thought that they needed it explained to them?

If the talk is not supposed to be about Facebook privacy settings/issues, just what are you suggesting that I talk to them about?

That was addressed in #1 above.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There was a big stink about that a few weeks back and it was denied. In spite of any company policy, some guy behind the desk can still edit to his personal agenda.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I will say it sounds a little strange considering the rest of your family joins in. Aunts and Uncles OK, but keep mom and dad out of this.

We have the opposite. My kids have been after us to join. My wife did so she can see photos of the grandkids and such, but does nothing else. I prefer not to join.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Gosh, people who watch Fox News are complaining about slanted coverage?

Next thing you know, they'll be demanding the return of the Fairness Doctrine.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I have a sibling who was diagnosed with leukemia ten years ago. She kept it a secret from everyone in the family except for one sister, but she shared it on Facebook with her friends and acquaintances. She slipped up last year and made a cryptic reference to her 'condition' in a FB post shared with family. After a casual question was asked of the sister in the know ("So - what's up with Sis?"), she broke down and let the cat out of the bag. Sister with leukemia has now disowned us for intruding on her privacy.

Yes, she's nuts.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I hope that you (and the rest of the disowned family) will be there for her if the need arises. Don't hold her nuttiness against her. Illness and stress can make us do some weird stuff, but very few of us want to suffer alone.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Change of subject noted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hey, if you don't want to take my advice, that's fine. Why spend post after post blathering on and on about it? Methinks thou doth protest too much. If you were truly comfortable and secure, you could easily have said no thank you, and been done with it. Why are you making so much effort, and changing the subject?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Does anyone really expect a public statement from FB "Hey, we have a huge bias, and we make every effort to silence our critics." ???

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Change of subject noted.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Is that the best defense you have for your erroneous post?

You know, you could just admit your error. Yes, it is legal and ethical to apologize on usenet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not defending any thing. I'm suggesting to you that there are other ways to handle a moment when you don't like a suggestion.

And, no, I will not apologize for making a sincere suggestion. You may wish to apologize for goal post shifting, changing the subject, and taking offense when none was meant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Your suggestion was based on your assumption that my kids "need some instruction on how to NOT post personal information on the computer. " (your words)

That assumption was incorrect. That assumption was also a change of subject.

You are assuming that I took offense. That is another incorrect assumption. I was not offended by your suggestion, but I do have the right to ask you why you made it. When you give your reasons, I have the right to point out the error in your thought process. That's called a conversation.

You say that I don't want to take your advice. That is also incorrect. It's not that I don't *want* to take your advice, it's that I don't *need* to take your advice. Your suggestion was based on an incorrect assumption related to my kids' knowledge of internet privacy issues. You brought it up, I responded. Again, that's called a conversation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, for a guy who's not offended and not concerned what I think, you sure ramble on a lot. Have you considered just taking my suggestion, and apologizing for wasting so much of your and my time?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Who said I wasn't concerned with what you think? The mere fact that I have tried to point out the error in your assumption shows that I care. That certainly doesn't mean I'm offended. Once again, it's called "conversation".

Why would I consider taking a suggestion that doesn't fit the situation?

You made an incorrect assumption and you made a suggestion based on that incorrect assumption. All I've tried to do is explain why your assumption was incorrect. Once again, it's called "conversation".

Thank you for your concern about my time. I don't feel it's been wasted, but thanks anyway. As far as *your* time, I can't waste that, only you can. If you consider this conversation to be a waste of your time, feel free to stop reading my responses and then responding. Only you have the power to decide how to spend your time.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yet another goal post shift. You're flailing around in the dark trying to get some thing to stick to me. In this case, it's about me, now, and wasted time. What a pathetic, failed effort. I make a simple and correct suggestion, and you waste endless time trying to establish some false and goofy assertion about it being my problem.

I bet you do this with other people in your life. When your doctor tries to write you a prescription, do you spend the next three days trying to get your doctor to admit that he's mistaken?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Change of subject noted

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep, we went from Derby having a conversation with his kids to Chris and his suggestion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon