OT Why do so few people appreciate the importance of Tesla's work

Page 4 of 4
On 9/12/2012 12:12 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

Likely uses a DC powered VFD converter with a version of an AC motor.
Diesel locomotives used DC traction motors but new ones, as far as I know, convert DC to variable frequency AC.

Actually I have not heard rumors. I know Edison probably invented the industrial research lab and had many employees. Some employees were in support functions, like machinist. Would be interesting how may patents had significant contributions from Edison. He was hard working, but probably didn't have much background in science.
Any good biographies that cover good and bad?

OK, now the name makes more sense. Tesla Motor's machines do indeed use a 3-phase induction motor.

Haven't read any bios. I think it was a TV documentary years ago that talked about Edison's "invention sweat shop."
Most people are retarded.
On 9/13/2012 10:28 PM, Earl wrote:

Duhaaaa, how du U noe dat? O_o
TDD

LOL...
I always wondered how to quote Sylvester Stallone in print.
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

I found another discussion about the BBC article on Tesla at Reddit. It wasn't very interesting but one of the messages had a link to this:
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Tesla%2CEdison%2CGeneral+Electric&year_start 00&year_end 00&corpus=0&smoothing=3
One of my favorite stories about Tesla was when one of his experiments burned up a generator at the power company causing him to lose his "free power" privileges.
"Metspitzer" wrote in message
wrote:

I found another discussion about the BBC article on Tesla at Reddit. It wasn't very interesting but one of the messages had a link to this:
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Tesla%2CEdison%2CGeneral+Electric&year_start 00&year_end 00&corpus=0&smoothing=3
One of my favorite stories about Tesla was when one of his experiments burned up a generator at the power company causing him to lose his "free power" privileges.
If I recall that it was in Colorado Springs , Colorado. WW
On Monday, September 10, 2012 4:28:34 PM UTC, Metspitzer wrote:

Jimmie
On Monday, September 10, 2012 4:28:34 PM UTC, Metspitzer wrote:

You got it, most of his peers thought he was just nuts and they had good reason to think this as you pointed out. He took the principals of AC current to an impractical and unrealist level. Tesla's goal was transmitting power without wires. Westinghouse was able to see that there were practical application of his ideas inside the extremes.
Jimmie
The general public may not be as familiar with Tesla and his work as they are with Edison, but Tesla is far from unknown in the electrical engineering community. I was reading about him in the 1960s as part of my EE work, in fact.
Edison was a master of PR and he also had a major lamp company (GE) to carry on the Edison name and traditions long after he was gone -- the "Edison Mazda" trademark, for example. Too bad that Westinghouse didn't do the same with Tesla. But history does level things out and Tesla's fame is growing.
Tomsic