OT: Why Carving Wooden Boats Is So Easy...

I heard a word carver explain why carving wooden boats is so easy:
"You start with a piece of wood and then remove anything that doesn't look like a boat."
I'm going to try it...I'll let you know how it works out.

What he actually said was much prettier...
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."

The really really hard part is knowing the difference between boat and not boat.

The hard bit is putting it back when you get it wrong.
On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 20:16:30 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

My dad built a lot of wooden old boats like the HMS Bounty (large and small ones) and I inherited about a dozen of them. I remember he said he had one (built by ???) and just tried to copy it. I remember he started with a 4x4 and just kept shaving and sanding it. Later he strung them with nylon. Some hulls he put a finish on others no finish. You need the tools, good fingers and patience. I think it took him around 3 weeks or so but I think he was retired then. I can take pics of them but I don't think it will help you.

I don't need pictures of the finished products, I need pictures of the wood he removed so I can remove the same parts.

Or get a 3D printer.
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 03:05:42 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Can't help. Think 3 D printer <grin>