OT Who reads this forum?

Page 3 of 3
DIY homeowner. Just trying to to do it better for less and do it smarter.
amby
Johnson wrote:

Johnson wrote:

Was a metalsmith in the Navy (sheetmetal, welding, forging) Model builder (wood, plastic, resin). Worked part-time as a carpenter for a general contractor for a couple of years. Have done my own carpentry, cabinet making, basic plumbing, and basic wiring.
Johnson wrote:

Started reading this newsgroups a few years ago when I purchased a lot at the lake. A little help here and a lot of help from friends.
http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/Cabinfront6.jpg
Outside done, inside almost ready for drywall.
Lorence
~ ~ ~ On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:38:32 -0500, Jim Wynne

amongst my skills ? ;-/ Ever thought of changing chairs? (non-electric of course) :->
*Any* contact with *any* 'hot' wire/apparatus that results in *any* degree of 'electric shock' (electrocution) is required to be reported to 'authorities' in this country. The same goes for STD's :->
There is a rather well known case of a young girl (.au) who ,taking a drink from a tap in the backyard, received an electric shock and subsequently passed into a coma. She sort of revived into a state of semi-awareness and lived for some seven or eight years.
I guess that if you wanted to play with the words you could nominate that incident as a "non-fatal electrocution".
To keep on topic,, the core factor that began Nikkys trip to Hell was the ambition of her Father to steal electricity. In doing so he broke the MEN connection in the switchboard (unknowingly), a subsequent repair to an appliance that was re-connected without TESTING caused the steel water reticulation pipes to become 'hot'.
In the training process we learn the intricacies of TESTING long before we learn How2 'fix' anything.
My response Jim assumes you have little knowledge of the application of emoticons. I was tempted to treat your response as TIC, however the platform presented itself so I used it., thankyou :-)
BTZ
WOW. That's a strong case for the bonding of all interior metal piping as required by the National Electrical Code. If those pipes had been grounded properly, that girl may still be alive today (Assuming her father didn't create any other hazards around the house).
Thanks for the reality check.

Full time web usability engineer, part time DIY addict, female, married to another DIY addict, east coast USA. Mostly lurker, sometime poster, have learned a ton from this group over the years.
We're gradually in the process of converting our house from the cheap and tacky pink-and-purple wallpapered mess it was when we first bought it into "casual elegance". Three rooms down, way too many to go.
Last weekend: Refinished the deck :)
-- Jennifer
Early 40's Senior Security Engineer working with federal counterterrorism efforts. On my third house, just being built - it'll be ready in October. I'm good at working with my hands but know that I don't know everything so I come here to browse and ask an occasional question.

twenty five years selling industrial tools, pipe, valves and fittings and gas station construction...plus thirty years of do-it-yourself projects around the house...
Bill

Currently a forklift operator, and rigger in the convention industry in Las Vegas. Got a pin and watch yesterday for 37 years in the Teamsters with 20+ service years.
In my life, interspersed with being a Teamster .........
commercial diver underwater welder x-ray certified welder steel erection contractor awning and ornamental manufacturer crane operator on offshore drilling platforms bar owner jack of all trades, master of none, King of the Honeydos
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Currently a registered nurse working on a med-surg unit in a county hospital.
I have been:
Hospital orderly Factory worker (made oil filters for Wix) US goverment census taker Dive shop operator/ scuba instructor Repo man Construction worker Commercial pilot
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
a pathologists' assistant.... also new home owner and single, so DIY advise is welcome

Neuroscientist (hey, you asked), new homeowner with lots to learn, and eternally grateful for all the experienced & professional folk who hang here.
JSH
Julie wrote:

Well, you don't need to be a brain surgeon to fix up a house...
but you're close enough.

No rocket scientists yet?
Retired after 40+ years in telecomm industry all levels from technician to regional/departmental sales manager. Then ran family business for 12 years. Self and two carpenters built our two family homes since 1960. Self taught carpenter, capable electrically and plumbing wise, including septic tanks and shallow well pumps. Now age 70 do all current home repairs/renovations; today on a ladder scraping eaves of house prior to repainting, then it rained. Tonight I'm fixing the dishwasher; lying on the kitchen floor, it looks like a faulty 'overfill float' microswitch in series with the water flow solenoid. Competent and slow enough in most trades but smart enough to know when to get help. Good at utilizing used materials. Finally closed family business last year; time to redecorate and update home. Hobby is electronic repairs which translates nicely to keeping appliances working as long as possible e.g. our Sears dryer is 43 years old. Drying clothes right now. Fixing anything yourself is a challenge and fun and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new stuff!. By the way anyone expert with low slope built up pitch and gravel roofs? Our roof is now 34 years old not giving any trouble but should be checked; I'm getting advice ranging from "Rip it all off and start again" to "If it's not broken don't fix it"! Terry.