OT: "white roofs everywhere"

Page 2 of 4
HeyBub wrote:

But we aren't using A/C to cool the uninhabited (without roofs) areas of the earth are we?

Assuming the roofs cover what we are trying to A/C (despite your Mother's probable conclusion that you were trying to cool the outdoors, young man) it is still only about .000004% of the surface.
--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."
Kurt Ullman wrote:

The earths aggregate albedo is irrelevant to this discussion- it is the heat load on the house requiring expen$ive cooling in summer. Of course, you WANT free solar heating up north in the winter, but A/C is usually more expensive. Even up north here, though, most people go with light gray, to keep attic from superheating and radiating back down into house past midnight in August.
-- aem sends....
aemeijers wrote:

No, the earth's aggregate albedo IS the discussion - at least that's what the OPs reference was about. The Nobel Prize winner was advocating painting roofs white to raise the earth's albedo. He wasn't the least bit interested in my mother-in-laws air conditioning bill.
In article

Just to pick a small nit, in this case it is probably a case of city building codes instead of deed restrictions, but I digress. I am thinking that since it is concrete roofs this is some engineer's bright idea to cut down on hurricane damage to roofs. I wonder what would have happened had be just painted the concrete a different color instead of putting on asphalt shingles.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
Kurt Ullman wrote:

It is deed restrictions. I have a copy. All roofs have to be white. No asphalt allowed. The city was started by the developer and when enough people bought, a city was born. The developer ruled for many years.

Okay. YOu said "Some cities" which confused me, not all that hard to do.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
on 5/29/2009 9:31 PM (ET) aemeijers wrote the following:

Not to mention that central AC handlers are sometimes installed in the attic, and some of the cooled air is lost through the ducting before it gets to the rooms below.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

I dare my ducts to lose any "cool air" They are insulated on the inside and buried in 14" of cellulose on the outside.

And you believe that is standard? Lots of places they just use the round insulated duct.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Sure, but the discussion was about roofs in hot climates. Any other "information" thrown into the mix is just irrelevant noise.

What Paint co is pushing this crap. The tar companies say we should tar our roofs black to help reduce global warming, in winter black roofs are warmer from sun.
=========================================== I think you're right on some counts but here in TX most of our energy bills in the summer are way-way higher in the summer than the winter. (I say most because there are neighborhoods with "only electricity"). A white roof would probably give some relief. Many of the houses here have white shingles. I have a huge live-oak over my house that would stain the crap out of a white roof.
mt

FWIW I have a light cream colored steel roof on my garage, and a brown aluminum roof on the house. The A/C can be on in the house and the garage will still be cooler. I think there may be something to this.
nate

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/5389278/Obamas-green-guru-calls-for-white-roofs.html
What is the big deal? It is just our wonderful big government watching out for us; something like small flush toilets, CFL lights, and roller skates from the used to be Chrystler Corp, and GM.
White roofs is just the beginning. Wait until they tell you what time you have to go to bed and brush your teeth.
Bob-tx
On 5/29/2009 12:47 PM, Oren wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/5389278/Obamas-green-guru-calls-for-white-roofs.html
I can't wait to have seasonal roof changes here in Wisconsin. White in the summer to save energy, and black in the winter to save energy.
Don't forget.. its for the children and their future!
On Fri, 29 May 2009 15:50:25 -0500, Ryan P

Yep, like painting bridges in New York City. By the time you get to the other end of the bridge, you have to start over. It can go on for generations and family members have jobs.

How bout shingles that change color? The heat changes them to white like a heat activated baby spoon turns white.
To hell with the kids! I want lower bills. ;-)
mt
Master Tang wrote:

Cool idea (no pun). Like those liquid crystal thermometers that change color.
TDD
Ryan P wrote:

If you could get a roof that could change color, that'd be a great idea.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If you had solar panels your roof wouldn't need to change color and you'd have all the energy you needed.

The technology to have an efficient roof has been around for a long, long, long time. It's called a cold roof. The roof is basically built in layers. The top layer (shingles, metal, EPDM, doesn't really matter what it is, doesn't really matter what color it is for the _house's_ energy consumption/efficiency). It keeps the rain out and the snow off. It may or may not have sheathing depending on the actual roofing material. It is supported by wood strapping (doesn't have to be wood, but like I said, it's been around for a while) that provides an air gap under the top layer. There are ridge and soffit vents. Below the strapping is the structural roof (rafters with sheathing and a membrane on top, or SIPs), which is insulated if the attic is to be habitable.
It is a far superior roof system in hot and cold climates and _that_ should be code. Everything else is just diddling around because construction is so slow to change. and well, "I've been doing it this way for 30 years!"
You can say whatever you want about global warming, personal choice, political affiliation, etc, but if you like to think of yourself as not being your parent's stupidest kid, please try to be efficient and don't piss money/energy or anything else away. It's disrespectful to your ancestors - and everybody has some - that died/roasted/froze/ starved or were bankrupted for want of some resources.