OT: "white roofs everywhere"

Page 1 of 4
"President Obama's energy adviser has suggested all the world's roofs should be painted white as part of efforts to slow global warming.
President Obama's energy adviser has suggested all the world's roofs should be painted white as part of efforts to slow global warming."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/5389278/Obamas-green-guru-calls-for-white-roofs.html
http://tinyurl.com/pue3bh

I wish there was global warming. I'm sick of it being too cold to enjoy the outdoors for 80% of the year. It'd also save me money on my energy bill.

???Where do you live?
You can rest assured that I will put that right at the top of my to-do list.

G.S.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/5389278/Obamas-green-guru-calls-for-white-roofs.html
I asked a roofer if using white shingles would help and he said a ridge vent works much better for pitched roofs. "He said" you average 10 cooler with white shingles and 50 degrees cooler with a ridge vent. I know you can do both but if I had to choose, I'd get the ridge vent first.
But nothing wrong with the idea except I doubt there are too many paints that could stand up to that type of abuse except for that $70/gal "Snow Roof". In NM, where most roofs are flat, it's a very reasonable way to lower your elec. bill. Not as durable as tar and gravel.
mt

It's not simply an issue of what is happening in your attic and with your energy bill, although that is a part of it.
wrote in message

It's not simply an issue of what is happening in your attic and with your energy bill, although that is a part of it.
====================================================== Oh..yeah... Very true. But it can, and usually does, effect the energy bill anyway. I have 9" of insulation in most my attic now. Before I had >3". *Then* the attic temp plays a large roll in how many times the a/c goes off.
mt

I have both a ridge vent and soffitt vents, front and back, the whole width of the townhouse.
The roof was dark brown.
When I got it replaced, I got light brown and I do believe it's made a noticeable difference in the temp of the second floor. I think my next door neighbor, who uses his AC a lot, is really making out well.
OTOH, I use a roof fan in the summer to take out the hot air. I'm probably using that less. But in the spring and fall I would turn the fan off and use the heat from the attic to warm my house. That doesn't seem to work anymore, I guess because the attic won't get as hot as it used to. It's only been two years, but I think I had to turn the heat on earlier than before, because the attic heat wouldn't warm my house like it used to.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/5389278/Obamas-green-guru-calls-for-white-roofs.html
Then why does'nt *he* start by doing the Micheal Jackson thing, if you know what I mean.
And no, not that thing. You know, lighten up.
Oren wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/5389278/Obamas-green-guru-calls-for-white-roofs.html
They should ban hair dye. Then all those old, white heads would reflect light back into space retarding global warming ;)

We should all shave our heads and paint them white.
mt

Don't suggest a half-assed job with white paint.
http://icrontic.com/draco/images/articles/tech_tips_faux_chrome_fans/paintcans.jpg
...and, as shown, do it right and use primer.

What Paint co is pushing this crap. The tar companies say we should tar our roofs black to help reduce global warming, in winter black roofs are warmer from sun.
On Fri, 29 May 2009 12:54:48 -0700 (PDT), ransley

None. The guy is a Nobel Prize-winning physicist, according to the article?
I would like to see white walled tires come back into fashion!

Bah. Nothing looks worse than grungy yellow-wall tires. Blackwalls, you just wave a spray can of tire dressing at them, and they look like new.
nate
Oren wrote:

Nobel or not, he's not the sharpest spoon stuck in the disposal. Assuming 6 billion people and each person is responsible for 300 sq ft of roof, that's about 65,000 sq miles of roof. The earth's surface is about 150 million square miles. Roofs, then, account for .000004% of the earth's surface.
Painting all the roofs white will have about as much effect on the earth's albedo as the one sq meter mylar reflector our astronauts left on the moon.
Painting roofs will, however, give the environmentalists something to do that's not really hurtful and while they're busy painting these roofs, they're not jacking with normal folk.

I didn't read the article but.....Wouldn't it make a difference because; it is the .000004% we are trying to keep cool? And I'm not talking about global warming as I am about keeping energy bills down. I think the jury is still out on global warming. When they tell me everybody agrees it's happening I just have to question it. Back in the early 90's a Phd Geologist told me that "global warming" is a bunch of crap. "If we heat the earth up it makes clouds that cool it down." Per the PHD.
Not flame... :)
mt
Master Tang wrote:

Don't believe that PHD. As we heat it up, more moisture goes into the air, which traps even more heat. Water vapor is a greenhouse gas.
Ever notice that places where it is humid, it stays hot late into the night. In the desert, it cools quickly at night as the heat radiates into space.

Is that why Mars is heating up too?
od
Master Tang wrote:
<global warming>

    No, that is from the greenhouse gasses emitted by various Mars Rovers, etc.
    By the time Earth is close to uninhabitable, Mars will be just about ready!
--
PB
"I suspect you\'re an arrogant little pissant who grew up in the