OT - When does a rental car become a stolen vehicle?

Page 4 of 5
DerbyDad03 wrote:

You're getting screwed by the rental company. $24/day extra? That's crazy.
Except... How old are your sons? If one/both are under 25 that changes everything. Take the under 25'ers out of the agreement, shouldn't cost any extra.

Each additional driver is $3 per day regardless of age Drivers 20 - 24, add an additional $15 per day ($18 total) Drivers under 20 - (you might want to sit down) add an additional $41 ($44) total
Spouse (25+) $3 Son 1 - (24) $3 + $15 - $15 AAA discount code Son 2 - (22) $3 + $15
$9 + $15 = $24
Note: They gave me the AAA discount on the young driver even though it was not a AAA rental. My corporate rate was not only substantially cheaper than AAA but came with unlimited mileage as compared to 850 miles from AAA. 850 miles barely gets us to where we're going. We'd have to walk back.
If I can pester them enough to drop the other $15 young driver fee, I'll go with $9 a day and have the piece of mind of having 4 drivers. Otherwise, I'm going with $6 and 3 drivers. I'll let the boys fight it out.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think that's best for your wallet and peace of mind. <g>

You don't actually rent cars, do you? It's general practice for rental companies to charge extra for additional drivers. The majors, Hertx, Avis, Enterprise all do it.

That's nuts. Forget about adding AAOs.

No, it doesn't, and that doesn't make a lick of sense. If the contract is voided you'd be off the hook for the rental fee.
If a contract may simply be declared void by one party I've wasted a lot of money on lawyers.

Since there is no crime... -----
- gpsman

The straight answer is, you're screwed. Every time I've ever rented a car or truck, the contract has had some language to the effect that lessee agrees not to allow anyone other than persons listed on the rental contract to operate the vehicle. You breach that contract if you permit that -- and I'll bet that your auto insurance provides coverage on a rental car only if you're in compliance with the rental contract.

His own insurance company told him he would still be covered. It seems kind of extreme and odd to me that the same insurance company that will pay off on a claim when you drive your car 90 MPH when you're drunk, will suddenly deny a claim they otherwise would have paid just because you did not list a driver on a contract with a rental company.
Any breech does not void a contract, release the parties or mean that the other party can rain hell down on you. It just means that the party that believes they were wronged has to PROVE what harm the breech did to them and what they are out. For starters, it has to be a MATERIAL breech. And again, it's hard for me to see how simply not listing the other driver on a contract with a rental company rises to that level. What material difference would it have made to your own insurance company whether the driver was on the rental contract or not?

Because having the driver properly listed on the rental agreement would be obeying the terms of the contract... Once you breach them you are in a grey area where even if one of the insurance companies does pay out for something they can come after you for repayment because your choice to breach the contract caused the loss...
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 18:04:35 -0700 (PDT), Evan

My insurance says it covers me for any car I'm driving. It does not say I have to be listed as a driver on a rental contract. Good to know, if I steal your car tonight, at least I'm covered.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Read it again. If the car is being used in the commission of a crime, they don't have to pay.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:00:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Find a different car rental and ask the same question. I never heard of this in the past tho I haven't rented a car lately. I think you are allowed to authorize a person to drive the car even if they aren't listed as a main driver. Think of it this way.... suppose you were injured badly and could not drive, then someone might have to drive your rental car with you in it, to the hospital.

There's no real point in that. My corporate discount is with the rental agency I'm dealing with and is by far the best deal available to me.
Any cost associated with additional drivers wouldn't make me change companies because the overall discount is substantial.

I don't know what you mean by "a main driver".
If you mean the person who signed the rental contract, then that will be me.
If I want other people to operate the vehicle, I have to bring those people to the rental agency, where they will have to show a valid driver's license and credit card. They will then be known as Additional Authorized Operators by this company.

That doesn't make it "legal" from a rental agency or insurance company perspective. If I was badly injured and the only person who could drive me to the hospital was a 13 year old, whether is was my car or a rental, it still wouldn't be legal for them to drive.
If they are not listed on the contract, they are not authorized to drive the car even if I, as the person who signed the contract, say that they are.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:46:51 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Come on... I meant a person who had a driver's license. I think you have some pre-notions or phobias here but if you don't want to talk to another car agency, then either go to a lawyer or no need to talk about it because you have your mind made up.

And I think you obviously have not rented many cars. Every rental company I have used requires that additional drivers be listed and they charge a daily fee. The majors, eg Hertz, Avis, Enterprise all do it. So, instead of Derby, maybe you should go talk to some rental companies.
And I understand Derby's point about his corporate discount not making it worthwhile to go find another company. I don't think he could find a rental company on this green earth that says they don't care if additional drivers are listed or not. And even if they did, the chance that they are going to have a deal that is better than just taking the corp rate with the rental company he has and paying the few extra bucks to add the drivers is slim.
For years I rented cars with a Fortune 100 company that used Hertz. The rate which was also available when I rented a car for myself, was so good that it wasn't worth the time and trouble to screw around finding the special deal of the day to maybe save a few bucks. Plus with Hertz, I was a gold customer. The car was waiting with keys in it. I did not even have to go into the office. Just find my name on an electronic board and get the stall number the car was sitting in just a few feet away. After getting off a 6 hour plane ride, that is a very big benefit to me..... As is the rental company being right at the airport most of the time, not a bus ride 2 miles away.
They also had other innovations that other companies did not, at least back then. Like being able to pay for a tank of gas when picking up the car and then bringing it back near empty. They charged a fair price for the gas if you bought it that way, about the same as the local street price. So, if I expected to use nearly a tank or more, I always took out that option. Again, a nice convenience not having to worry about filling up a rental car when returning to the airport.

The point is that you can't just let anyone drive the rental just by handing them the keys and expect the rental agency not to care. They want to know who will be operating the vehicle that they own. If it was your car wouldn't you want to know who was driving it?
Obviously if the renter was incapacitated they would probably give you some leeway, even with an unlicensed driver, but it would be their choice. It still wouldn't make it legal from a contract perspective.

No, what I have is the best rate and mileage available to me so there is no need for me to call anyone else. If i want that rate along with the unlimited miles, i have to play by their rules. Besides, as others have said, I doubt I can find a rental agency that wouldn't require me to list additional drivers.
In addition, when I was talking to my Ins Co, there was no mention of which rental agency I was using. That tells me the the situation is the same across all rental agencies.
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:38:43 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Or they didn't know so they wouldn't say??? Seems to me you're asking for legal advice and should seek a lawyer if it really worries you that much or just do as the car rental said authorize in writing the other drivers and that ends your worries.
Also just a heads up but if you ask your insurance agent a question and they don't know, ask them to ask their underwriters.
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 07:54:52 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

No, this is from a guy who has a lot experience with insurance agents in other matters !!!!!

Obviously you haven't read this thread very carefully. I have already said that I am planning to authorize and pay for additional drivers.
Everything else in this thread has been nothing more than a lively discussion. Why would I possibly need to talk a lawyer? To save a few bucks on car rental? Gimme a break.

Obviously you haven't read this thread very carefully. In every post I have used the terms Ins Co or insurance company. I have not been talking to an agent. As a matter of fact I was talking to at least a 2nd level representative of my Ins Co customer service department. 1st level was not sure of the answer and said "Hang on while I get in touch with someone knowledgable in that area." I am very confident that the person I spoke to was knowledgable with regards to my coverage as it applies to rental vehicles. For all I know I _was_ talking to an underwriter.
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 00:42:55 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Sure.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Bingo! And if you don't, be prepared for any excuse the insurance company has not to pay if an incident occurs.