OT: Whatever happened to Yak long distance?

Yak long distance is/was a Canadian phone company that provided long distance service in the US for about $1/month and a nickel/min.
When I dialed 10-10-925-xxxx last month, the call went thru and I got billed numerous invalid charges (from Williams Telecom) on my landline bill.
Anybody know whence went Yak?
Failing that, know of another cheap-but-dependable call-around 10-10-xxx provider?
Thx, P
"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
Yak long distance is/was a Canadian phone company that provided long distance service in the US for about $1/month and a nickel/min.
When I dialed 10-10-925-xxxx last month, the call went thru and I got billed numerous invalid charges (from Williams Telecom) on my landline bill.
Anybody know whence went Yak?
Failing that, know of another cheap-but-dependable call-around 10-10-xxx provider?
Thx, P
----------------------------
Yak is still around. they are part of Wind Mobile. Surprised it doesn't work for you.

Google Phone is free subscription and $0.02/minute. Rather than dialing 10-10-xxx first, you sign up for a Google phone number, then for international calls, dial that number, then in the menu select international call and dial the international number. You can do this from any other phone, including your cell phone.

The Evil Empire sure has some nice fringe benefits.
On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 09:01:09 -0500, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:

Well, that covers "international" OK.
What if ya wanna call Hilda on the other side of town? In the next town? In the next state?

Got time to describe your equipment and how it works? I'm all ears. :-)
Thx, P
Puddin' Man wrote:

Hi, I often use Skype phone on WiFi just like cordless phone. It is in hone wireless router. My daughter is away since January on a course. Skype works very well.
Puddin' Man wrote:

Hi, Since my daughter is in London, U.K. I 've been talking to her on WiFi Skype phone through my home wireless router. Works very well. She is taking a course until end of this month since January.

Router has special Skype chip or similar?
Skype costs some $, doesn't it?
Thx, P