OT: What up with 9V Alkaline Batteries?

Page 3 of 3

Because it was unconstitutional? Because someone got upset when their rights were violated?

Of course most of the Healthcare stuff is probably going to turn out to be true. Especially the part about bankrupting us. I know the CBO says it shouldn't. Unlike the CBO, I don't have to ignore 40 years of precedent and pretend Congress will actually not increase the money that goes to docs every year. (g).
--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

With a major exception being a substantial portion of the Clinton Administration, which even included debate as to how to "spend the surplus".
As for modern annual spending increase by government - in USA, a significant part of that is in an area specific to USA, namely employer contributions to premiums for "private industry" health insurance in this world's only nation that is a prosperous (even if downturningly so) industrial-or-former-so democracy!

USA went from "world's greatest creditor nation" to "world's greatest debtor nation" in a mere 4 years under administration of only one USA President, namely Reagan.
I do blame in part the Democrat party failings that the Rebublicans campaigned against and did not reverse when they had a chance or two to do so.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Heck I would have settled for reversing. What happened instead was that the GOP came out of the wilderness into power, got a taste of how much fun it is to spend money and joined the club. Interesting stat. The five years before the GOP took over in '94, spending increased year-to-year at a very stable level. The 5 years after the GOP took over, that stable level went down a couple of percent per year. By the end of the next 5 years, the year-over-year increases had returned to what they were. All of this while the GOP was still in control of both houses of Congress.
--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

That wasn't just "how much fun". They spent spent spent and then borrowed more with every intention of bankrupting the government and then running against it once they were out of power. Their spending was for wars (2 with no taxes to pay for them), corporate welfare, and huge taxcuts for the alreadly super wealthy.
We now have a greater gap between the poor and the wealthy than ever before, a "restrained" Supreme Court that decides that corporations can spend all they want on elections, and a deficit that almost prevents us from doing anything decent.

But the uber-class made lots of money, and that's what really counts.

Sorry, you're not supposed to notice that gap or the fact that your purchasing power, even with your fat "make me feel good" income figures appear higher than in the past. You're supposed to be like the dolt who claims Obama is a commie and believe the rhetoric the neo-cons spew about you doing so much better when they are in power. Please try to stick with the program.

Or having the EPA do it by fiat...

Amnesty for illegals; great,reward them for breaking our laws. Of course,that will encourage MORE of them to illegally immigrate,just like the LAST time.

and don't forget the VAT he plans on enacting....gotta PAY for all the freebies.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes, Bush's plan was a giveaway to illegals, setting up a revolving door that would let 8 million a year be here on a "revolving door" basis to staff the work places of his neo-con friends. Unfortunately, they would never be found once their legal stay ended, so the revolving door was really just an open door. It's a good thing that sensible voices deleted that travesty neo-con bill.
Unfortunately there are very few sensible voices in DC and between those that want a massive illegal work force and those that believe all immigration, legal or not, is a good thing... we've probably not seen the end of the open door policy.
Heavy duty aren't rated for smoke detectors. They go dead soon, and don't have enough energy to do much good.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A 9 volt is actually six AAAA size cells rolled up in one package. Maybe the cost of ingredients has gone up and it affected the price of the 9 volts more because they are more complicated to make?
Just a guess though.
I pulled apart some 9 volters. A couple of them had rectangular flat cells. The quad A are too short to work in AAA devices.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:38:31 -0400, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Not nearly all 9 volts use 6 tubular batteries. Some also use a stack of waht would be more closely described as "button" batteries - like a dagwood sandwich.
bobmct wrote:

maybe in 1977 they were a dollar apiece.
In typed:

Shipping costs are way up with the price of fuel and weight of the batteries, plus it's an opportunity to add some hidden profits, etc.. All the related insurances for shipping, storage, overhead, lights, heat, etc., are all up. Remember, those things are escalated all thru the system from the ore accesses to the final retail destination; several steps involved there, each with a price increast that's passed along. And then there's the taxes.
It stinks. And remember, our pres said there IS no inflation!