OT: What up with 9V Alkaline Batteries?

Page 1 of 3

You know those squarish snap top batteries that we've all become used to for decades and decades and many electronic devices use? Well its time to change the batts in my smoke alarms and I went out to buy some.
I used to purchase them 10 to a card at a wholesale club like BJ's for about $10 making them about $1 a piece.
This month the cheapest I could find were cards of 4 for $11 making them $2.75 each. Thats a 275% price increase. In other stores like the chain stores I've seen brand name prices of $4.99 each to cards of 2 for $8.49.
What are others paying and if I'm not going crazy, why such a drastic increase?
Just ranting -
Yes, they are seriously expensive. Why the price jump? Don't know. I found cards of them at Lowes, the eveready alkalines are, well, can't remember. But it was cheaper.
Also at Lowe's Hardware, are the 36 packs of AA Energizer, at good price.
I used to see Panasonic brand at Dollar Tree, for buck each. Not sure if they have alkalines any more, though.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

aRE YOU sure that wasn't Panasomic?
I'm not sure myself.

bobmct wrote:

There's a worldwide shortage of alkaline that has sent the price sky high.
Probably all being bought by the Chinese, so they can sell it back to us?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Referring to China (It was we understand a humorous reference; since so much stuff is made there these days and we buy it from Wal Mart and other North American companies). It is said that Wal Mart spends more, annually, buying stuff from China alone than the total annual budget of some smaller countries! That's BIG business eh?
But batteries and the materials to make come from and are used in many parts of the world. IIRC we had some batteries from Pakistan or India?
BTW: Remember the Union Carbide (A North American company!) plant that caused the deaths and poisoning of humans at Bhopal in India years ago! Apparently their ground water is still polluted!
Bought something t'other day; it had been made in Mexico and it contained batteries but not possible to tell where they had been made; possibly Japan?
Also bought some food item; trying to remember what it was ............ anyway the box said something about 'Packaged in the USA' or 'Product of the USA' but it was not possible to tell where the actual contents had been grown!
Also talking about China. Very surprised at the little, if any, reporting on North American TV/Radio about several hundred miners rescued from a flooded mine, some after 8 days, in China.
Watched news reports via the internet from BBC, Russian, French, China TV and Al Jazeera (All in English). This was at the same time as the frequently reported mining disaster in W.VA
In China; apparently mining operations broke into older workings and water flooded into the mine. The lack of safety standards in Chinese mines has been criticised in the past.
Notably, they had 1000 rescuers working above ground and in the mine to effect the rescues. And despite the length of time the loss of life was low.
bobmct wrote:

I still get them for a buck, but at the supermarket when they're on sale. All batteries seem to have taken a jump - I looked for a D cell this weekend and they were in packs of 2 for over $4. I don't know what the deal is, but they certainly haven't gotten any better.
--- ---
On 4/12/2010 8:17 PM, K wrote:

Likely a lot has to do with quantities produced. D cells used to be extremely common because they were used in flashlights. Hardly anyone uses D cell flashlights anymore. Commonly used sizes such as AA and AAA haven't changed much.

That may well be a part of the "explaination," but it used to be quite easy to find AA cells priced at $.25 (4/$1.00). Now you have to look around. The $dollar store is the only place where you are find them.
The places where we routinely picked up discount AAs aren't as consumer friendly anymore.
It could well just be inflation.
After all, the federal government claims that it costs more than $1.00 to make 100 cent pieces (even when they use zink with copper plating.)
Your AA cell is a bit smaller than 25 cent pieces. I can well understand that selling it at retail for $.25 might be a problem.
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:18:59 -0400, "John Gilmer"

You might want to consider buying Lithium 9v smoke detector batteries instead. They run about $10 a pop, but are good for up to 10 years.

Yep. 10 years when not in use.

Are you sure those 1$ one were not Carbon Zinc, I found them at Walgreens and they last 1 yr in smoke detectors, but Alkalines might last 3 years.
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 04:17:53 -0700 (PDT), ransley

But aren't we supposed to change them at the Daylight Savings Time switch? And how do people in Indiana know when it's time to change them? Isn't it Indiana that is the one state that doesn't have DST?

Arizona doesn't have DST
Charlie wrote:

I believe it was only one certain parts of Indiana and I think that got tossed out about five years ago so now the whole state observes DST.

And, BTW Hawaii doesn't observe DST either.
And just to be completely anal, the correct term, at least according to the gummint, is Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight Savings Time, which if you think about it seems to be better english too.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I call it "Damn Stupid Time", considering that it isn't good for anything but complicating things. Also, I never accepted that weird use of the word "anal".
Sam E wrote:

I'd prefer if we stayed on DST all year.
LOL about "anal". It took me many years to accept it. How it evolved into that meaning is beyond me. OK, I just googled the origins of it and now I'm even more confused! Thankfully modern psychology doesn't take Freud seriously.
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date 970718
[snip]

I remember one suggestion that does away with DST completely in the Eastern and Mountain time zones, and keeps it all year in the Central and Pacific time zones. The effect of this is halving the number of time zones.
Other than that, it doesn't really matter if we have DST 0% or 100% of the time. Either avoids the semi-yearly confusion.
If you need more time in the morning, GET UP EARLIER! It makes a lot more sense than messing with our clocks.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us