OT: What news reader for Linux?

I've just about had it up to here (pointing to forehead) with windows! I'm going to start using Linux as soon as I can find a replacement program or two. One program I need to replace is my news reader. Currently I use Agent, but they don't have a version for Linux.

What are your preferences?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I've been using Linux for many years and simply use Thunderbird.

It works just fine but there are plenty of alternatives.

Reply to
philo

I am using Forte Agent 5.0 with Xubuntu 14.04 and wine with no problems. Mail is handled by Agent with the help of stunnel to supply the ssl connections. MS live.com is not working for smtp (had previously) but ATT, Gmail and Yahoo work fine. I also have Pan from the repository and it works well.

Reply to
Mr.E

I'll definitely look into that. That sound a lot easier than getting used to different apps. Cheaper, too.

Thanks

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'm still using old timey Outlook Express 6. Probably other better ones out there but it does everything I need for email and usenet. I'm like the old fire horse with computers.

Reply to
Guv Bob

KNode

Reply to
rbowman

I prefer to run Agent under Wine. Easy to set up and almost no problems.

Tip: bold and italic work best if you choose the Tahoma font.

Reply to
Bart Dinnissen

I didn't know Outlook Express worked with Linux!

Reply to
badgolferman

xrn (using it since 1989)

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Bold & Italic? Usenet is plain-text, not markup.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I like OE. Now I've upgraded, and using Thunderbird, which I like a lot less.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

He is referring to what font the user sees in the news reader's various areas, some are independent of others -- not what font gets posted.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Groups with unread messages are rendered in bold font.

Reply to
Bart Dinnissen

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference. Only you know what is best for you.

Although I have used Linux for many years, I am new to using newsreader software so I can't recommend a particular newsreader.

I would say however that, generally speaking, I prefer using native apps rather than using Windows apps through Wine.

Also, for historical reasons, there are basically 2 camps on the Linux desktop - Gtk and Qt. You said you are using Xubuntu. Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop which is written using a toolkit called Gtk. Therefore, apps written in Gtk tend to integrate better in the system. Qt apps (like KNode) will work but fit in better if you use the KDE desktop.

You will find Linux users tend to favour either Gtk or Qt apps. Again, this comes down to personal preference really.

Here is an article which compares some different Linux newsreaders. It is a bit old now, but hopefully might give you some idea of what is available.

If you're interested there is an article on Techradar called "Reviewed and rated: the best Linux newsreaders". It is 5 years old now but probably still worth a read.

They reviewed the following clients:

1) Gnus - this is what I am using but I would not recommend it for a non technical user as it is a command line (non-graphical) app and requires editing of config files to set up. 2) slrn - again this is a command line app. 3) Thunderbird 4) XPN - Gtk app 5) KNode - This is a KDE (Qt) app. 6) Pan - They rated this one as the best. It is a Gtk app.
Reply to
Bill Boyce

gnus is a bit overly complex, much like emacs. I say this as a longtime emacs user. I use slrn, an insanely practical and well thought out command line newsreader. If you prefer gui's, choices 3 thru 6 are all good. Pan is probably the most popular with the gui crowd.

nb

Reply to
notbob