OT What is this? #

Page 5 of 5
On 03/14/2016 10:33 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

Yes there is a 'w' in quick. Right after the initial 'k'.

In this particular case, it IS nines'. R (for radix) makes is less inappropriately specific, since the same idea applies to all radixes (bases). I suppose you don't know that r's-1 complement is involved in how computers subtract numbers. I didn't know it yet, but I learned r's compliment in second grade.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/15/2016 2:40 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

The 'w' in "one" is more interesting (esp when you are designing rules to convert spellings to sounds).
Spend any amount of time (i.e., hundreds of hours) trying to understand why certain combinations of letters are pronounced one way or another and you end up pulling your hair out -- English is just chock full of exceptions!

I most certainly do! Having had to design ALU's, you quickly learn that you perform subtraction by putting a "programmable inverter" (XOR gate) in front of each bit and force the carry-in to '1' on your ADDER. Voila! A-B with the same hardware that performs A+B!

Look at "casting out nines" and "casting out 11's". Trachtenberg addition relies on the latter.
On 3/15/2016 5:00 PM, Don Y wrote:

Try out being hearing impaired and you can't actually hear the "w" in the word "one".
--
Maggie

On 03/13/2016 04:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish-Spokane-Kalispel_language#Phonology
Puzzle your way through those.
http://www.vicsmith.us/?attachment_idW28
The state decided it would be nice to have the roadsigns on the SK rez in SK. Don't ask me what they call the characters or how to say the words.
There's a mountain west of town that was named Squaw Peak, or Squaw Tit originally. The Indians decided 'squaw' was derogatory, so it was renamed 'Ch-paa-qn'. Good luck with that. It's still Squaw to me.
http://www.summitpost.org/ch-paa-qn-peak-squaw-peak/393990
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 11:21:33 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

I'd like to know how far away is the house that belongs to the mailbox in t hat picture.
That looks like some wide open country.

.

On 03/13/2016 09:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm guessing the other side of the road. It is fairly open although the valley is bounded by mountains.
On 03/13/2016 10:21 PM, rbowman wrote:
[snip]

I never understood the "dirty word" mentality. You can call something a "dungheap" or a "pile of manure" (of even 'Ralph' if you wanted to). It's still the same thing as the "stinking heap of SHIT" it was before.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/14/2016 6:26 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

It's a matter of breeding and society. For example the Queen of England (about year 1850) does not step out of her royal carraiage, and barn stamp a pile of horse shit.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 3/14/2016 3:26 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Controlling language is a way of controlling thought.
On 3/14/2016 11:10 PM, Don Y wrote:

Language is only one means amongst many used to communicate. It's impossible to control the thought's of anyone. What is possible is to attempt to control how people express their thoughts.
--
Maggie

On 3/15/2016 12:23 AM, Muggles wrote:

And how do you control how people express their thoughts?
On 13/03/2016 22:11, Mr Macaw wrote:

A smudge? ;-)
--
Bod

e:

It means the typewriter carriage is jammed.
-- Arachnoleptic fit (n.): The frantic dance performed just after you've accidentally walked through a spider web.