OT What is this? #

Page 4 of 5
On 03/13/2016 04:45 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I read that once, although never heard it anywhere. Also 'nanogram'. I have usually (IIRC always) called # a number sign.
BTW, 1/60 of a second is called a third. IIRC, there was also 'solidus' and 'virgule', names for a slash /.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

It's hash. Always has been, always will be.

WTF? Why?!?

As in erection?

No, a virgule is a comma. Like this: ,
--
A drunk was in front of a judge. The judge says, "You've been brought here for drinking."
The drunk says, "Okay, let's get started."
On 03/16/2016 05:05 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[snip]

Subdivision of the hour.
First is the minute (MI-NOOT). Second is the second. Third is the third.
Also, 1/18.2 of a second is a "tick" (not the parasitic animal kind).

I don't know about that, but I remember a "South Park" where a man was yelling about not having an erection. His kid hears this and goes to church where he hears about a res-erection. He thinks he can get one and give it to his dad.

A comma is the deep sleep you fall into when you get hit on the head :-)
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/16/2016 8:49 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

A "jiffy" tends to be about 10ms; a shake, 10ns.
An OhNoSecond is slightly shorter -- or longer, depending on your personal reaction time!
If you do much fixed point math, you'd know that a Furman is 1/65536-th of a revolution.
Beauty is measured in Helens while magic is measured in Thaums.
And, of course, everyone knows that a Smoot is 67".

And this one? ‽
-- HELP WANTED: Baiters. Local fishing boats need 4 baiters to bate hooks for tourists. Must have strong hands and work hard. Good pay-$15 per hour, and benefits. After 6 weeks, 2 best baiters will be promoted to masterbaiters. Apply in person to Jon at the Gulf Marina.
On 3/13/2016 3:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

interobang.
Stop trolling. Go play in the street (or, would you prefer "roadway"?)

e:

I didn't think anyone had ever heard of that. I've certainly never seen it used before.

It was just a question. Why do you consider it trolling?

Road for a route between towns. Street in a residential area. Don't you know anything?
-- Reason to smile: Every 7 minutes of every day, someone in an aerobics class pulls a hamstring.
Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...
On 3/13/2016 4:03 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Don't toppost.

d> wrote:

ote:

een it

you know

-- Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang

On 3/14/2016 7:22 AM, Robert Green wrote:

speaker) went through my thesis painstakingly correcting every (erroneous) "doubled consonant" that I had used.
Then, lectured me on the rules regarding same.
(did I mention *I* was the "native English speaker"??)
I simply <shrugged> and said, "When in doubt, I figure one MORE is better than one LESS...".
As a result of that chastisement, I am now equally likely to double when I shouldn't -- or fail to double when I *should*!
[Amusingly, some words I consistently get right -- e.g., dessert and desert]

desert]
Occasionally I spell occasionally as occassionally. (-: Sssss. I had to develop a mnemonic - the word "Casio" is embedded in the correct spelling. Fluorescent was much harder but breaks into Flu Ore Scent. Can't ask for a handier mnemonic (well, it could actually make sense).
--
Bobby G.

On 3/14/2016 8:48 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I let "oc[c]ASSionally" be the red flag for me.
I remember "not flour" when writing fluorescent.
I had a relation who lived at #356 (which I remembered as "not 365").
On 03/14/2016 04:07 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

I had some trouble with "believe" until I thought about it having LIE in it.
BTW, when I use NOT in mnemonic devices, it's usually the r's-1 (radix-1) complement, so NOT 365 is 634 (note that each digit adds up to 9).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 5:57:34 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:

it.

9).

This will make you correct about 98% of the time. “I before E, exce pt after in C or words that say “ā” [ei], as in neighb or and weigh.”
On 03/14/2016 06:16 PM, bob_villain wrote:
[snip]

I think there's another part to that. Something about Y or W?
BTW, How many English words do you know where W is a vowel?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 10:56:32 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

except after in C or words that say “ā” [ei], as in ne ighbor and weigh.”

Does crwth count, having passed from into English to describe that particular instrument?
Cindy Hamilton
On 03/15/2016 01:20 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I think that's one of the two words. I don't know about the other (although I seem to remember similar origin).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/14/2016 7:56 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

W is a semivowel. Vowels are "voiced" and produced with the vocal tract "unobstructed". Voiced consonants build pressure above the glottis by obstructing the vocal tract.
The "y" and "w" sounds are closer to vowels in their formation -- yet tend to form syllable boundaries (think: beYond)
Hi Mark,
On 3/14/2016 3:57 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Ah! I tend not to have problems with ie (i before e, except after c or when sounding like a as in neighbor and weigh). Of course, all of these rules to cover exceptions themselves have exceptions! :>
When working on my speech synthesizer, it was frustrating to see just how many exceptions there are to the "rules" we think we know -- but actually have internalized and consciously forgotten!
E.g., think of the /w/ sound in: women what which one quick
I found that "of" is one of the most commonly encountered exceptions (there's no /f/ sound in the word!)

It's called the "nine's complement". The ten's complement is obtained by adding one to the nine's complement. In much the same way that the one's complement ant two's complements are related.
In my case, I subvocalize: "no, it's NOT flour -- so it must be fluor"; "it's not 365 (days in a year) so it must be 356"