OT What is this? #

Page 1 of 5
What do Americans call this sign? #
--
Black holes are where god divided by zero.

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:22:44 PM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:

number or pound sign depending on use...
On 3/13/2016 2:29 PM, bob_villain wrote:

On 3/13/2016 11:31 AM, Frank wrote:

octothorpe
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:31:30 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Sorry...thought he wanted to know about the real world.
On 3/13/2016 2:35 PM, bob_villain wrote:

We might live in the real world but may be a minority today.

I just tried searching by # on facebook, and I guess it could be useful. But I don't see why there has to be a hash. Google can search the internet without search terms having to have a # on them. This seems a backwards step. I certainly can't be bothered selecting words that I feel are important every time I post to Facebook.
As for Twitter, that reminds me of using DOS. Where is the interface? It's just unconnected sentences from people with no threading or anything.
--
I'm not a "troll", I'm an Agitation Engineer.

On 3/13/2016 1:55 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

You did ask "What do *Americans* call this sign? #"
As far as I know,just like bob_villain said, we mostly call it either a pound sign or number sign in general use. Although, twitter uses the sign for their own purposes, I suppose that's become common place, too.
--
Maggie

Pound sign is just wrong. It would be like me calling it a dollar sign. A dollar is clearly $ as it's used for currency.
--
Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.

On 3/13/2016 2:48 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

An American #(pound) sign is for measuring weight of things, but a British pound sign is for measuring money. They both can represent "pound".
--
Maggie

lb
--
Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold the vegetables while you chop.

On 3/13/2016 3:45 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

lb is one way we abbreviate pound, but # is a symbol we also use for pound.
--
Maggie

On 13/03/2016 21:18, Muggles wrote:

--
Bod

On 03/14/2016 01:50 AM, Bod wrote:

What's the proper symbol for a pound weight? We don't do that L thing or the E thing for Euros. It's not on the keyboard and I can never remember the code to enter it manually.
On 03/14/2016 09:12 AM, rbowman wrote:

Before learning the proper weirdness, I called the unit of weight a lab.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/14/2016 7:12 AM, rbowman wrote:

lb. :>
The use of '#' for "number" (No.) and "pound" (lb., lbf.) is a hack. I have a friend who uses &c. as well!

U+20AC    0128    euro U+00A2    0162    cents U+00A3    0163    pound sterling U+00A4    0164    generic currency U+00A5    0165    japanese yen
I've got a little utility that pops up code tables so I can cut and paste "characters" directly from that into <whatever>.
You can also install a Unicode font (e.g., CyberBit) and look at the font displayed...

You are one arrogant asshole. You asked what we Americans called it and when we answered you told us we are wrong. You sound a lot like our hubris asshole-in-chief in D.C.

I read a website that called it pound and wanted to know if Americans were really that ignorant. It appears the answer is yes.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids.
It leaves your groin unprotected.
On 3/13/2016 2:31 PM, Frank wrote:

I read some where it's called octothorpe.
In my youth, it was tic tac toe board.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Something to do with a village?

Nought and crosses.
--
Peter is listening to "Pogues with Sinead O'Connor - I'm a man you don't meet every day"