OT: What if there was a large Russian or Chinese military base in the middle of Texas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SMHBEAeNa-c

=========== Imagine for a moment that somewhere in the middle of Texas there was a large foreign military base, say Chinese or Russian. Imagine that thousands of armed foreign troops were constantly patrolling American streets in military vehicles. Imagine they were here under the auspices of "keeping us safe" or "promoting democracy" or "protecting their strategic interests." Imagine that they operated outside of US law, and that the Constitution did not apply to them. Imagine that every now and then they made mistakes or acted on bad information and accidentally killed or terrorized innocent Americans, including women and children, most of the time with little to no repercussions or consequences. Imagine that they set up check points on our soil and routinely searched and ransacked entire neighborhoods of homes. Imagine if Americans were fearful of these foreign troops, and overwhelmingly thought America would be better off without their presence. Imagine if some Americans were so angry about them being in Texas that they actually joined together to fight them off, in defense of our soil and sovereignty, because leadership in government refused or were unable to do so. Imagine that those Americans were labeled terrorists or insurgents for their defensive actions, and routinely killed, or captured and tortured by the foreign troops on our land. Imagine that the occupiers' attitude was that if they just killed enough Americans, the resistance would stop, but instead, for every American killed, ten more would take up arms against them, resulting in perpetual bloodshed. Imagine if most of the citizens of the foreign land also wanted these troops to return home. Imagine if they elected a leader who promised to bring them home and put an end to this horror. Imagine if that leader changed his mind once he took office. The reality is that our military presence on foreign soil is as offensive to the people that live there as armed Chinese troops would be if they were stationed in Texas.
Shutting down military bases and ceasing to deal with other nations with threats and violence is not isolationism. It is the opposite. Opening ourselves up to friendship, honest trade and diplomacy is the foreign policy of peace and prosperity. It is the only foreign policy that will not bankrupt us in short order, as our current actions most definitely will. I share the disappointment of the American people in the foreign policy rhetoric coming from the administration. The sad thing is, our foreign policy WILL change eventually, as Rome's did, when all budgetary and monetary tricks to fund it are exhausted. ================= Congressman Ron Paul of Texas enjoys a national reputation as the premier advocate for liberty in politics today.
Imagine Ron Paul as president.
But, then there is anybody but Obama ;)
Home Guy wrote:

Did the whole imagery and message of that piece just go right over your heads?
On 12/23/2011 7:14 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Clue: You don't know Texans

I can play imagine. But let's get it right.
Imagine you were living in Texas under a brutal dictator who used WMDs against his own people and was responsible for the deaths of half a million people? What would you say to the world's greatest democracy that liberated you from that?
Imagine you were living in South Korea, Japan, Germany or dozens of other places and the presence of those troops were keeping you free? What would you think then?

ROFL:
When one Texan shoots another that can be justice or murder/attempted murder...
When one idiotic Texan with a gun attacks some sort of installation of a foreign sovereign sovereign nation on US (even Texan soil) it becomes an international incident -- those theoretical Chinese would have weapons no one in Texas but the US Military and some National Guard units can match... But if you a dumb enough to fire guns at such a facility when they are armed to the teeth with full size machine guns, vulcan cannons, grenade launchers, artillery, guided missiles and war planes then you definitely reap what you sow and I hope you aren't one of the lucky ones wandering dazed through the smoldering aftermath...
~~ Evan
On 12/23/2011 8:44 PM, Evan wrote:

This is reality:
http://armscontrolcenter.org/policy/securityspending/articles/us_vs_world.gif
This is a pointless topic.

Jim, your reality is nice and all, but not too many domestic units have access to the latest technology being deployed just-in-time- fulfillment to the battlefield... Certainly not National Guard units or State/ Local law enforcement who would be the first responders to an attack on an embassy or foreign outpost on US soil which becomes the soil of the foreign sovereignty... Deployed weapons systems aren't being stockpiled to every unit/command throughout the DoD... More and more of what is being spent is on electronic warfare and intelligence gathering toys...
Spending the most on weapons doesn't mean you have more than everyone else put together, just that your toys cost more money that most others...
~~ Evan
On 12/23/2011 11:31 PM, Evan wrote:

Not only did we buy more, we made more:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/03/global_arms_exports?page=4
Nobody is going to invade the US and live to tell the tale. Not bragging, just stating facts. I wish we didn't have to, but it does provide a lot of jobs here.
Home Guy wrote:

Well, if you're endorsing Ron Paul, that's one more reason to discount him.

+1
--
Best regards
Han
Robert Green wrote:

Nah. Texas has a $7 billion surplus in its "rainy day" fund. This is much more likely to happen in California where the Chinese will cut down the redwoods to make sweet-smelling charcoal. Of course the environmentalist population of the state will lie down in the roads to block the timber trucks, the roads will get all slippery from arugula-stuffed intestines, thereby slowing the project to the dismay of the Chinese.