OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

Page 2 of 2

I can verify that not all Honda engines have drain plugs. Not on the bottom, nor on the side. I have a small hand pump that pumps the oil out thru the fill hole. Tipping on its side could hydro-lock it (oil in the cylinder).
Hank
How much oil do you think would pass the piston rings? (not much) How easy is it to correct for oil in the cylinder? (Very easy)
I'd rather get a complete oil drain, and risk the oil in the cylinder.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I can assure you that mine doesn't. The instructions say to tip it over into a pan to drain the oil. I was very disappointed in Honda for such crap in an $750 mower.

There are *many* tip-overs.

I didn't tell him everything. I do that too often, spoon-feed someone. He'll figure it out when the gas starts to pour out. (That's why I said to do it on the grass, not the sidewalk, although I didnt' actually think about the gas. :) )
<...snipped...>

I believe he meant 90 degrees as in perpendicular, not temperature.

On Sep 22, 4:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Harry K

2 cycle is thinner , doesnt have viscosity additives, isnt designed for the machine, I would change it but it wont kill it right away.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 02:52:41 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Thanks.
Two cycle oil is often 30 weight. Many two cycle oils list the viscosity on the label. Should run fine, even if left in there. The advantage is that any oil that gets past the piston rings won't smoke as much when it burns.
To get oil out of the cylinder. Remove the spark plug, and pull the start cord (or turn the starter). The oil comes flying out the spark plug hole.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

What happens is then you get to change it again and put the right pil in, haha.
Should work just fine. Using two stroke oil in a crank case is a "work around" for when motors burn oil. Less smoky, while the machine is running.
However, being two cycle means that the four cycle only runs on two cycles, and the power may be a bit lower. Cause it's losing two of the cycles. The extra cycles get dropped on the lawn, and have to be put back after each lawn mowing. They are easy enough to find.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

One warning though. After you recover the two cycles from the lawn make sure you don't put them in a two cycle engine thus converting it to a four cycle engine. If that is done you'll have to put the two cycle oil into the newly converted four cycle's crank case and I can never seem to find the filler hole on a converted engine. Be careful.
Gordon Shumway wrote the following:

I just scoop up the two cycles when I mow with the grass catcher. I throw them in the compost heap with the clippings. I read that the two cycles in the heap will turn the heap over twice a year so I don't have to do it manually.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

I scoop them up with a shovel and drop them down the post holes I bought on e-bay.
Take the gas cap off and cut a piece of cereal box for a gasket to plug the gas cap ,dump oil. If you do spill some gas drop your joint on it,it will burn off.
Jr.