OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

Page 1 of 2

OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?
A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine. I can't get a good answer how much.
http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penaircool2c.html
It says nothing about viscosity.
Does he have to change the oil?
I thank you and my friend thanks you.
mm wrote:

Yes. Replace it with 30 weight.
Jon

It's not a good idea. It might work, but might do damage. I would not use the mower till it's changed. Its only ONE quart of oil and 10 minutes work. Just change it and be done with it. Save the stuff he drains for oiling tools and stuff, since it should be pretty clean.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:56:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

That is, it is a good idea. He should change the oil.

Okay, I'll tell him.
Unscrew or take out whatever covers the oil intake hole, tip the lawnmower over to that side, and let it all pour in a pan big enough to hold more than a quart. Or a pot if you don't have a pan like that. It will start pouring when it's about 90 degrees, and you can finish up with a pan. Do it on the grass in the backyard. Etc.
Thanks Jon and JW.

Make sure gas is drained. "It will start pouring when it's about 90 degrees...", Does he have to wait til it's that hot?! *L*
Does he have to wait til it's that hot?! *L*
Thanks. I needed that!

Actually, there is a drain plug under the deck on most mowers. It gets out more gunk, and eliminates getting oil in the cylinder when a mower is tipped on it's side (which can make it hard to start afterwards due to oil on the spark plug).
Remove the sparkplug wire and get it away from the sparkplug or duct tape it. Raise the mower on a couple blocks with the front or rear end slightly elevated. Get the proper wrench and remove that plug with a container under it. Level the mower till the oil drains. Replace plug, fill with oil, put spark plug wire back on plug.
That's it...
On Sep 22, 5:49am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

No drain on newer Toros, I looked.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 04:02:54 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Really? I suppose, just another way to save a buck and screw the end user.
On Sep 22, 8:10am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I was pissed when I tried to drain all my oil, no oil plug, the manual says tip on side but I like getting out all the bottom junk. Its the newer Toro power pace for about 350$
On Sep 22, 3:49am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

If you can run the motor to get it hot, drain the gas with a siphon, and dump it over on the filler side...it is much easier. Plastic drain plugs strip and metal ones seize. It is the only practical way to do it. (And most businesses do it this way)

Of course here the idea is to get rid of the bad oil, not to run the engine with it, but otoh, I guess 10 minutes won't hurt.
0t3h, sludge in the bottom isn't what he's trying to get rid of, just the stuff that was added a couple days ago. And the mower is only about 3 years old, so it doesn't have much sludge, I think.
Thanks to you and everyone.
I will also remind him about taking off the spark plug wire, and putting it far away from the plug. That's a safety issue, and some people don't realize that the spark can jump a half inch or more when one pulls the rope.
And when the blade is turned from the bottom, that's a lot like pulling the rope. Maybe it can start the engine, and for sure the compression can cause the blade to kick back. Removing the spark plug eliminates the compression, but I don't know if I woudl do that just to change the oil, which takes only a few minutes and one should be able to avoid pushing the bladee or pulling the rope during that time.

I was speaking of general maintenance...not about the OP's question, specifically.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 05:49:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Wow. It's been 45 years and I forgot that. (I never drained or changed the oil sine I move here.

Good points. Thanks.
P&M because it's been a couple days.

WTH!!? To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. Also "it will start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero temperatures.
Harry K

1. A lot of cheap push mowers do NOT have drain plugs these days.
2. 90 degrees, as in ANGLE, not temperature, you dipshit. GASOLINE will start coming out the vent hole in the gas cap when the mower is tipped up at a 90 degree angle.
On Sep 22, 9:38am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

It's tough-in-cheek, moron! (ya notice the face after the Q?)

Of course, I meant "tongue-in-cheek".
On Sep 22, 11:38am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Some rather expensive mowers don't have drain plugs, either. My Honda doesn't.

Yes, and so will any gasoline. :-(

Having 4 honda engines now, I can assure you that each and every one has a drain plug. Even the newest only a bit over a year old and the cheap Honda (GCV) at that. They are on the side, not the bottom.
I will do some research on the local dealers on cheap mowers as one without a drain plug is too "out there" to accept without checking.
Harry K