OT: what does this mean?

Page 1 of 2
Maybe I'm missing something here because when I heard this soundbite from the radio, I couldn't understand.... a retired cop said that "when he was on the force, he hated thieves more than murderers". I'm hoping maybe a retired cop here can explain this to me. I have no clue.
Doug wrote:

My buddy was pulled over on Christmas day (I was with) a long time ago. We were close to our destination and decided to pop the top on some beers. Well, my buddy blew a stop sign he didn't see at full speed - and the cop was waiting. He got us both out of the truck and began a series of questioning. Where are the drugs? Where are the guns?
We didn't have drugs or guns, and I told the main cop (he called for backup, two more came) I didn't do drugs. He promptly reminded me alcohol was a drug, and that makes me I liar. He said, "if there's anything I hate most is a dopehead". I told him he was barking up the wrong tree (sir), and his pals won't find anything. He detained us for about 30 minutes while running ID's and my friend let him search the truck (stupid I know). They were looking for any excuse to take us in. In the end my buddy got a ticket for the stop sign, and that was it. Why we both didn't get ticketed for open containers was a shock to us both. There was a twelve-pack between the seat, with two taken out - and only a few sips taken from each can. We had just gotten off the freeway and were only a mile from our destination. They just made us pour out the open ones.
I had a funny (not ha-ha funny) feeling if we were not white and they knew we were expected somewhere soon, those guys would have beaten us up and fabricated charges. I could tell they just wanted one of us to make a move they could use as an excuse to pull the batons out. The tension was thick, so neither one of us gave them that chance, "yes sir, no sir" and our hands were always visible. They were corrupt as hell. This is in a small jurisdiction (Patton Village) that is cited in Texas law books as one that generated most of their income from stopping travelers on the state highway 59 (about one mile is in their jurisdiction). They were ordered by the state Supreme Court to cease that practice as it is unconstitutional.
Sorry I didn't have an answer to your question. I was wondering what was up this guys ass too. I had almost forgotten about it until you brought up weird cop statements.
On 08/02/2012 05:11 AM, G. Morgan wrote:

[snip]
Most likely he had just pulled too many dead bodies out of cars driven by drunken idiots who were to stupid to obey simple traffic control devices, easily read by a five year old, and who still blamed the cops for their situation.
It's too bad they didn't rough you up a little, it might have taught something you obviously have never learned.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

If you never have been there, you would never see the stop sign. It was deliberately obscured IMO.
I'm not saying it's okay to drink and drive, we were young and dumb.
Oren wrote:

That was part of the problem I think. On Christmas day you're not exactly getting the "A team" on duty, all the rookies gotta work the holidays. We were all about the same age, and these hicks probably were looking for some 'action'.

If it was my ex-BIL, it would have been a different outcome.
Him and his partner would not have given you a ticket, but would have confiscated the beer. Oh, I can tell you some stories!
On 8/2/2012 8:11 AM, G. Morgan wrote:

Cops hate domestic violence calls and, probably, traffic stops with uncertain outcomes....don't know until they search the car whether one has a load of drugs and a gun or two...lots of dead cops have met their end during traffic stops. One I know was jumped by three guys from the truck he pulled over...thanks to the variety of self-defense utensils he carried (and quick reactions) he put all three in the hospital. OTOH, he looked after the homeless people on his beat, made sure they weren't freezing or starving and, on occasion, gave them a few bucks for a drink :o)

There is a town like that in Florida...central..can't recall the name. Just a crossroads with a speed trap. I can understand nailing tourists who fly through MY TOWN at 20 over the speed limit, and for the need to pay the mayor with $ that aren't local taxes :o)
One nice deputy in SC (or GA? seems like there was a submarine base not too far down the road) drove 20 miles on a Saturday morning when I locked the key in the trunk of my car and picked up another key. Somebody at the station had borrowed the gadget normally used to open locked cars...

This has to rank as one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted. And that says a lot. Like someone stealing a TV from your home has a longer and more profound effect than someone murdering your mother.
Go figure....

Chances are the murderer offed someone you DIDN'T know. So, the next time you're standing in a longish line at the movie theater (or Chick-fil-A's), ask yourself if you are better off...

<...snipped for brevity...>

<...more snipped...>
Not sure about Texas, but years ago, the law in many states was that it was against the law to _be_drunk_ and drive, not necessarily against the law to drink while driving.
On 08/02/2012 02:34 PM, Larry W wrote:

That all changed about the time they "convinced" every state to raise the drinking age to 21.
The problem with drug users is that they begin to get high even before they begin using their drugs, whether that drug is heroin, marijuana, or ethanol (this has been viewed on MRI scans of drug users). The very act of "cracking one open" triggers a response in the brain of the user, focusing the users mind on the drug and the usage ritual, to the detriment of focusing on the environment the addict is in.
When this coincides with the user operating a motor vehicle on a publicly used road, that user becomes a dangerous liability to everyone else using that road.
This is why "drinking and driving" is considered to be a serious infraction, every bit as much as driving and doing any other drug.
Jon

Just think of all of the Snail Darter children he could have killed!

good! If I had my way they'd face the death penalty.

Why? The raft is going with the flow.

Thieves also steal your life. The steal all the things you have acquired by spending your time working.

You actually expect someone here to explain the personal beliefs of someone you heard on the radio? I here all kinds of opinions on the radio every day that make no sense and can't be explained.
My all time favorite was from former NYC Mayor Ed Koch. He was on the radio defending Bill Clinton. He said that he would not want Clinton to be executor of his estate, but he's fine with him as president.

From my sideline experience I would say that most murders tend to be more or less one offs. Serial killers are rare even today. So, while the murderers are nasty people, then tend to impact and tear up the lives of a small number of people. Also, for the most part, they tend to be easier to catch. Burglars on the other hand, violate people and do their damage over a wider swath and often for much longer. They are also much harder to catch .
On 8/2/2012 11:37 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Usually more respectable than junkies who grab car radios to finance their next fix and are usually drunk/high and stupid when apprehended.

On 8/2/2012 7:13 AM, Doug wrote:

The never-ending frustration for doing paperwork about stolen TV's and car radios and NEVER getting to shoot anyone :o) Cops I know hated paperwork :o) When they catch murderers, they might become heroes for a moment at HQ, perhaps even make the newspaper. Catch a robber/burglar? Capt. just want numbers more than anything.

It's because in America, human life has very little value compared with possesions.
People will shoot someone to stop them stealing a TV.
A land of low moral values.