OT What does a Tomohawk missile cost?

would your interest accumulate the same as or more than what you take out each year to live on,for a million bucks initially?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 3/30/2011 12:11 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

When the interest rate the bank pays is less than the rate of inflation (the real numbers, not the official ones) does it really matter?
--
aem sends...

What is a "Tomohawk" missle? I googled it, and got nothing. I do see some posts about a "Tomahawk" missle. I would imagine that the OP would have the intelligence to know at least how to spell what he was asking about.
Or not.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Would you turn down $1,000,000?

The bonds in my 401K have been getting close to 5%. Other bonds in the plan have been doing 8% and better.

Interest works on all money. Granted, at 5% it's only $50K a year, but that's certainly livable.

That is true with a lot of things. I used to repair guitar amplifiers, PA systems...etc. I discovered I was losing business to my competitor because I wasn't charging enough.
Jimmie

So how many high tech wonders of the world origninated and are based in the "UK? Intel? Microsoft? Cisco? AMD? Boeing? IBM? Dell? HP? Do you even have one company that produces computer chips that is British? Notice I said produces, so that leaves out ARM, which is just a modest design firm. There is one huge UK semicondutor plant, owned and operated by Intel, a US company, in Ireland.
Unbelievable that you keep bringing this up, after all the times you've made an ass of yourself. Anything else I can help you out with?

You could be fixed tomorrow too. Hope you get your head cracked at your next leftist riot over there.

Hellfires are $82k per copy. Don't know about Tomahawk. That is a larger surface launched missile, right? Love watching the Hellfire strikes on youtube. Now you see 'em, now you don't.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Hellfire ~100lbs Tomahawk ~3000 lbs
Helfire range ~8km Tomahawk range ~2500km
Based on performance & capacity ..... those Tomahawks look like a bargain :)
But I wouldn't waste one even on heavy armor.
later (current?) procurement cycle supposed to reduce cost by ~50% thus getting it down to ~ 1/2 million each
Our first 12 production units for the AH-64 Apache 30mm Ammunition Magazine cost ~$150k each (1982) by the third production buy (120 units) we'd gotten the price down to $50k each.
Cost reduction is driven by learning curve, value engineering design changes and lot size increases.
cheers Bob

You misunderstood him. Price reduction is enabled by cost reduction.

Gee harry, if the Britts are so damn smart, why can't they even stay in the candy business?

I see the clueless Brit is back from his riots.

Correction: clueless narcoleptic Brit.

Harry-
Wrong again. :(
We bid these projects & supplied the machinery on a Firm Fixed Price Basis.
Bids were audited prior to award. Fee (profit) was negotiated base on bid prices.
If we came came up with cheaper ways to make the item...... the bid for the "next" buy had to include this cost reductions.
You don't know anything about the bid & procurement process.
Don't let the facts confuse you.
cheers Bob

Harry-
You're way too smart for me. You're the expert.
By reducing cost, over time we actually drove down our total revenues and the overall cost to the govt.
Over the life of the system..... the govt realized many times more $'s in system savings than we realized in profits.
It was a win for us but it was a WIN for the govt.
We made $2M in "extra" profit, the govt saved $20M in reduced costs......seems more than fair to me.
And we paid taxes on the $2M to boot.
Thank you great-great-great grandpa Price for leaving England and coming to America.
cheers Bob
On 3/28/2011 8:18 PM, mm wrote:

I checked the completed auctions on ebay and none had sold so it is really hard to tell the real price.

CNN keeps saying 1.4 mil/per.
Which is actually pretty cheap compared to sending in manned aircraft.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid "00&tid00&ct=2
says $569,000 each. it doesn't say if that includes warhead. I doubt it. a nuke WH(TLAM-N) would substantially raise the cost. I don't believe the conventional WH is going to cost $831K,more than the Tomahawk itself.

You don't risk a pilot.... but you usually get the piloted aircraft back and can reuse it. and you can attack multiple targets,and targets of opportunity.
TLAM is good for high-risk targets.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 3/28/2011 9:18 PM, mm wrote:

Much about this on the news a few days ago, although I can't find sources at the moment. What I remember: The '99 price of a cruise missile is ~600K, Raytheon is now the main contractor and has made modifications upping the cost. Some of the mods include being able to change course of the missile in flight. Late model tomahawks are more like 1.4 M. Prices also vary by launch platform and other variants, something here:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/bgm-109.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_missile
Hard to say just what the cost is of the ones being expended.
It's a lot of money compared to other smart weapons, but the outstanding value is that they can be deployed against any target without risking air frames and air crews. They can also be sent off in large numbers quickly. That is why you see them used so extensively early in air campaigns, the trend is toward using these very early on to take down air defences and heavily defended targets.
There probably will be very few more expended and there appears to be a large inventory of them so there is no pressing need to replenish as there are more in the pipeline (~200/year). There likely won't be additional requested. Note that the US is deploying AC130 gunships and you don't do that unless you own the airspace.
Something here on aircraft involved:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-12785746
Considering how fast the conflict blew up in Libya it's a nice bit of work getting all the forces and countries involved put together. Obviously there was a lot of planning involved early on, and it appears that they were on the move even as the politics were working their course.
On a side note, the sudden ebb and flow of military fortunes in Libya is nothing new. These are the same towns that flowed back and forth between axis and allies in WWII. Then as now, controlling the air over land that you can't hide in, is key.
Jeff

I'm sure. Tobruk is certainly famous.

Thanks .