OT What does a Tomohawk missile cost?

Page 2 of 4
On 3/30/2011 1:26 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Nope, just string-searched on 'SOLIC' and 'definition SOLIC' and 'acronym SOLIC'. Mebbe it was 10 or 20 pages in, behind all the semi-paid listings. (Google isn't near as useful as it used to be...)
--
aem sends...

An interesting example of something I wrote about a while back. When you send someone to Google and they don't know exactly what they're looking for, they have a hard time finding it. I already knew what the letters meant so when I scanned the first page of results, I picked up on multiple instances of the words "Low Intensity" quickly. Try searching again and now that you know what it means, you'll see a lot of hits on the first page, unless, of course, Google really did screw up somehow. In any event, it was my fault for using an acronym without explaining it at least once. My J-prof is turning at least a few degrees in his grave. I'll try harder next time. After ten years at the five-sided wind tunnel you tend to start speaking in DoD tongues.
-- Bobby G.
On 3/30/2011 11:20 PM, Robert Green wrote:
(snip)

I've been working in one of their more rural annexes (a converted 1920s fat farm) here in Baja Ontario for about 30 years now, so I take your point. I have to stop and think when I am talking to real-world people, and translate back to English.
--
aem sends...

wrote in message

in
The only time acronyms are actually worse than English is the Navy. Their acronyms go on and on and on.
ADCOMSUBORDCOMPHIBSPAC, which means "Administrative Command, Amphibious Forces, Pacific Fleet Subordinate Command."
Or COMNAVSEACOMBATSYSENGSTA, which stands for "Commander, Naval Sea Systems Combat Engineering Station"
-- Bobby G.
<lotsa stuff snipped everywhere>

Sort of an odd followup - I was searching for the words "Arrister" and "AWN" that I had written on a scrap of paper I found in the pocket of a rarely used coat. Google returned all sorts of "Barrister" and "Lawn" hits without, as it often does, asking if I wanted to use my (often) misspelled search term with the word I really meant. I don't remember Google doing this. Even " Arrister" brings up more barristers than you can shake a stick at. Only " Arrister" -barrister beats it into submission! Hmmmmm . . .
-- Bobby G.
K. Lance wrote:

harbor freight. don't forget the 20% off coupon when you go to check out.
On 3/28/2011 8:18 PM, mm wrote:

The Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 is a rear mid-engined super car. It is the most expensive modern car in the world at $2,600,000. Right off the assembly line of sorts. <snicker>
TDD
On 03/28/11 10:35 pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:

The pricing of the Bugatti probably is based on similar reasoning to that which I heard a famous plastic surgeon use many years ago: "Sure, I could do the surgery for a fraction of the price and still make money, but then people will think I'm no good and will go to my high-priced colleagues."
Perce

I watched a show about how they built those. It was fascinating. For one thing, they have carbon fiber brake drums. They showed some testing of steel drums, and they became red hot. Same for clutch and tranny components. A really awesome vehicle. I would not buy one even if I DID hit the LOTTO for $300 million, and got to keep it all. I find something immoral about paying $2.6 million for a car. Or even $1.6 they get for new Ferraris. I would buy a new Dodge 2500 with a Cummins, tho, about $40k. And maybe a $75k 56 Chebbie.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
On 3/28/2011 11:27 PM, Steve B wrote:

Super Nerd, Bill Gates once said: "After the first million, you can't eat any better." :-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote the following:

Why is it that the most obese people seem to be in the lower income brackets?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 3/29/2011 7:16 AM, willshak wrote:

"Eat better" not "eat more". ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

With good disgestive function.
willshak wrote:

They spent all the money for food.

What they spent on food wouldn't effect their tax bracket. Except to the extent they would have saved and judiciously invested the difference.

High fat, high carb food is cheaper.
On 3/29/2011 8:16 AM, willshak wrote:

I'm a simple man with simple needs. A single million would do me easily, for the maybe 30 years I have left.
--
aem sends...

Ever hear of this new thing called "compound interest"?
In article

I'm getting around 4% on my bonds ( staying under 4 years and AA or better). I have quite a few stocks that are paying me dividends better than 5% (some I have had a long time, have actually gone up to where I am making almost 10% on my original investment). THere is still no 20 year period where the S&P has failed to earn less than 7% compounded. I plan to live until 90 or so, so I still have way more than 20 years. The real problem with the Geezers is not outliving your money and to make sure you aren't losing much to inflation.

Inflation is good for government. It's the only tax on wealth. Democrats love it.