OT What does a Tomohawk missile cost?

Page 1 of 4
OT What does a Tomohawk missile really cost?
They keep saying a million dollars, or a little less, but does that include amortizing billions of dollars of development costs?
What is the marginal cost of another missile?
It's hard to believe anything costs a million dollars after there is an assembly line of sorts.
mm wrote:

Hi, Nillion dolloar for sure. An ordinary bomb is equivalent to GOOD TV set.
On 3/28/2011 8:18 PM, mm wrote:

More than the stuff it blows up usually.
Jim

I have seen it listed from $ 600,000 to $ 1.2 million. Not sure if the higher price would include an atomic warhead or if that is just the high expolosive version.

Try eBay or Craig's List, I've seen them on there for half the cost.

I am saving my boxtops for one. Either that or order one from China.

high
That's not as funny as you think. If China for any reason had to go to war, they have tremendous manufacturing capacity (as we had in WWII) to make weapons. Right now they're making anti-ship missiles and special "carrier killer" torpedoes in amounts that are essentially indefensible against. They're able to do it using former Soviet weapons designers and because they have mass manufacturing know-how (they got from us!) and cheap labor. Our military may not be ready to face a force that can seriously hurt it - we've been up to our necks fighting goat-herders and suicide bombers, not a credible national military force. Especially one that wants to prove it deserves a place at the table of world powers. Taiwan is where you can expect WWIII to start, and if we open up any more SOLIC's like Libya, they may feel the time may never be better to assert control over Taiwan by military force.
-- Bobby G.

I agree. China has the population and could crank out lots of war materials if they need to.
If it really comes to WW3 our carrirers will not be worth much. A nuke exploded within a couple of miles will take them out. What does China call their anti ship missle, a Silkworm ? Anyway if they launch 6 or 8 at a time,the carrier does not stand much chance even without a nuke. That is what hapened to Germany in ww2. They had a superior tank, but the US would send 5 of the Shermans after one. Usually lost 3 or 4 to get each German tank. I think part of the Vietnam problem was we did not really want China to get involved and that was close to 40 years ago.

first they have to FIND the carriers,(the sea is a very large place) then get through the AEGIS ships. Silkworms are OLD tech,easy to defeat. the Sunburn's are faster and harder to defeat,but still doable.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yeah, China probably never heard of satellites, so they are clueless where the carriers are. Thanks, but you made my day!

Satellites have known orbits,and can only scan a swath of ocean on each pass. Not all satellites can see through clouds,BTW. Meanwhile,the carrier is constantly moving,conducting flight operations(at 30+knots).
but keep up with the "sarcasm"..... B-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

then
< My, you are ignorant .Even for a Yank. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_space_program http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Chinese_anti-satellite_missile_test >
China knows where all the big carrier groups are. They often shadow them with their submarines and there have been several incidents with a Chinese subs shadowing US Navy vessels without our even knowing they were there!
< http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-492804/The-uninvited-guest-Chinese-sub-pops-middle-U-S-Navy-exercise-leaving-military-chiefs-red-faced.html >
aka: http://tinyurl.com/5dpxpo
"American military chiefs have been left dumbstruck by an undetected Chinese submarine popping up at the heart of a recent Pacific exercise and close to the vast U.S.S. Kitty Hawk - a 1,000ft supercarrier with 4,500 personnel on board. By the time it surfaced the 160ft Song Class diesel-electric attack submarine is understood to have sailed within viable range for launching torpedoes or missiles at the carrier . . . Analysts believe Beijing was sending a message to America and the West demonstrating its rapidly-growing military capability to threaten foreign powers which try to interfere in its "backyard". The People's Liberation Army Navy's submarine fleet includes at least two nuclear-missile launching vessels. Its 13 Song Class submarines are extremely quiet and difficult to detect when running on electric motors."
Of course, heads rolled in the USN over that embarrassment but the truth is things have gotten worse, not better, now that they have killer high-speed torpedoes that can stacked in underwater mine launchers and fired by remote control. The Chinese have realized that neutralizing a carrier group means they get a tremendous tactical and morale advantage because they don't depend on carriers or need to with their airbases within striking range of Taiwan. The Russkies knew that too. They developed the Shkval to counter US nuclear submarines with ballistic missiles, which they considered as the greatest threat to their security.
Underestimating an enemy is perhaps the most common and deadly mistake US military and political leaders make. A friend at the Pentagon assures me the Chinese know where our Pacific fleet is at any time of the night or day. Carrier groups are easy to find because they're abuzz with radio traffic. Simple triangulation with ground-based listening stations reveals their position unless they're operating under radio silence. If that Song Class boat had a compliment of Shkval's on board, the Kitty Hawk might be history in a shooting situation.
We're not as good as we think we are and they are not as bad as we think they are. They're getting better every day. The Chinese fielded a stealth aircraft YEARS before the top brass of the Dod's timetable said they should. Same for their satellite killing missiles. That should set the warning bells ringing like mad, but instead, the top brass says "Well, they have to tools, but they're not seasoned like we are." Blind, deaf and dumb!
My AF buddy goes to briefings with the Chinese and they've made no secret of how they would take and hold Taiwan when the time comes. It's their number one "thing" and much of their military buildup is done with that goal in mind. They've always felt the US wrongly interfered and have never forgotten. If they can put enough soldiers on the island before we can react, there's no way we can dislodge them without killing thousands of Taiwanese or more.
-- Bobby G.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:52:31 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

That's not the point of a carrier.

Yes, we could make eight or ten Shermans for every tank the Germans could make.

China and the USSR weren't exactly best buddies, at the time.
<stuff snipped>

"carrier
Our
they
materials
call
would
Precisely. The battles are won by the side that can take the biggest hits and still fight. That was us in 1945 and it's China in 2011. They might even come out ahead with a forced population reduction. The Silkworm is really old technology compared to these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-111_Shkval
"The speed of the VA-111 far exceeds that of any standard torpedo currently fielded by NATO. This speed is a result of supercavitation: the torpedo is, in effect, flying in a gas bubble created by outward deflection of water by its specially shaped nose cone and the expansion of gases from its engine. By keeping water from coming into contact with the surface of the body of the torpedo, drag is significantly reduced, allowing extremely high speeds. In effect, the Shkval is an underwater missile."
These supercavitation torpedoes, invented by the Russkies, dropped in a ring around a carrier group in sufficient numbers or predeployed in clusters as mines will be all that's needed to erase a US carrier group from the earth. They can be armed with nuclear warheads, they travel underwater at 250 knots (some reports say 300!), are cheap to make and very hard to counter. Everyone in the Pentagon knows this, but they've all got their heads stuck in the sand the way they did before the last WW when Billy Mitchell tried to explain how valuable airplanes would be. They court martialed him for his wisdom.
The carriers are the Navy's pride and joy and are often used by US Presidents to "project power" in distant locations. The USN will *never* give them up without a disaster forcing them to. My own estimate after reading dozens of articles is that in a confrontation with China, we will lose at least one carrier and perhaps a dozen support ships to the Shkval and its cousins. I can almost see the video in my head the way I see the WTC collapse.
China's already shown they can knock out our satelites and those play heavily in a carrier group's defense against attack by reporting the appearance and coordinates of missile plumes. China's entire military strategy seems based on knocking out our carriers and knocking them out fast. I'm sure they know where every US carrier is every second of every day. With enough Shkval torpedoes in the water, there's no chance of a huge ship like a carrier evading all of them. If they have nuke tips, ever a near miss will end in catastrophe.

get
That was probably a smart decision. My old boss who fought in the Korean War said he's never seen an enemy as determined, ruthless and fearless as the Chinese troops sent to reinforce the Koreans.
-- Bobby G.
On 3/29/2011 10:38 PM, Robert Green wrote:
(snip)
Unless the US gets stupid and intervenes in a China invasion of Taiwan, why would China ever attack us? You don't kill your best customer.
--
aem sends...

You hit the nail on the head. We've made it clear we'll stick our noses in that very nasty hornet's nest. Look how much Cuba bothers us and then imagine how much Taiwan bothers China. In some other post I said it squarely. WWIII will begin over Taiwan.
-- Bobby G.

Sounds like we should just give up now. You think just maybe the Chinese might have some difficulty in getting all those super torpedos within range of the carriers to begin with?

Having lived in Southern Nevada and Southern California, I have seen missile plumes a couple of dozen times at least. That last "unidentified con-trail" was a missile plume.
What can you expect from sociopathic liars? You can see them take the cookies from the cookie jar. They see you see them taking the cookies, but it's "I didn't take any cookies." And they look you straight in the eye and say it.
That was a missile plume.
On 3/29/2011 7:05 PM, Robert Green wrote: (snip)
ct WWIII to start, and if we open up any more SOLIC's like Libya,
Okay- I (and Google) give up- what does SOLIC mean?
--
aem sends...

Special Operations/Low Intensity Conflicts - DoD speak for "brush war."
a.. SOLIC - What does SOLIC stand for? Acronyms and abbreviations by ... Acronym, Definition. SOLIC, Special Operations & Low Intensity Conflict. SOLIC, Springs of Life International Christian Centre ...
acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/SOLIC - Cached - Similar
You must have added Libya in your search. It's probably not yet been branded a SOLIC. Just an odd curiosity that "Springs of Life" chose the same letters.
-- Bobby G.