OT - What do you do with your old rotors?

a nearby garage kept its scrap steel behind the building, rotors, a engine block, old exhaust pipes stuff like that.

one nite someone stole it all. shop owner now has cameras all around building with warning signs........

i have seen homes stripped of all the metal, not just the copper. gutters, downspouts and even siding, indoors the furnace, hot water tank, ductwork AC unit.

in my old neighborhood people are stealing the railings from city steps, which makes for real safety hazards.

one home even had all the wiring and breaker box stolen....

Reply to
bob haller

My little neighborhood is a mile down a dead end road and the scrappers drive by at least twice a week.

Reply to
gfretwell

what, they are psychic that you put up a sign?

Reply to
Pico Rico

I suppose that if you saved up enough old brake rotors you could paint half of them black and the other half red and make a back yard checkers set.

Another option that no one has mentioned yet is to just wait until it gets dark and no one's around, and just go throw them in the neighbor's yard.

Reply to
nestork

Some years ago, I lived in a small town next to Birmingham and I had a neighbor who's dogs would crawl under my fence to crap in my yard instead of fertilizing their own yard. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

so THAT's why the grass is greener on the other side of the fence!

Reply to
Pico Rico

I did consider sneaking over to his yard late at night and dropping one of my loads of Ready-mix, especially after eating something which produced extremely odoriferous turds. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

As I type this (5:36AM) someone in a pickup just pulled up to inspect the load of trash at my neighbor's curb. I see this often a few hours before scheduled trash pickup - both on normal days and on the large item pickup day. The large pile of baby furnishings and toys has been whittled to 1/3 of its original size.

I think it's a fascinating example of how informal niche systems arise. The trash surfers know there's most likely going to be trash out on trash days, so that's when they make their circuits.

Some people postulate that's how the enduring bond between man and dog formed: They knew there was always a meal or two at the human's garbage dumps and eventually became unafraid of humans. We got hunting assistance, warning against intruders and an emergency meal if food became very scarce (so that's where the name hot dog came from). They got free bones and gristle to gnaw on, pack companionship and I am not sure what else. Hard to say who got the better deal.

Reply to
Robert Green

There seems to be 2 "scrapper days" here. They come around on Sunday night to pick up what gets tossed out on the curb over the weekend and again Wednesday night before the Thursday trash pickup. There are still people who will stop and pick up stuff whenever they see it so sometimes things disappear even sooner. It is such common knowledge that the scrappers will come that people just sit anything metal out on the curb. I think it is American enterprise at it's best. We are recycling materials that would otherwise end up in a landfill and someone is making a buck doing it, all free for the homeowner.

Reply to
gfretwell

nestork posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

A heavier duty set of quoits or Frisbee for your neighbor. Use them as markers for the neighbors dog shit. Maybe drop them randomly and create a mini putt course on his lawn. Get a couple of pirate flags.

Reply to
Tekkie®

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Did you fill the trench with rotors? When I think of rotors I think of the things under distributer caps or inside electric motors.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Couldn't fit under the fence huh?

LMAO, John

Reply to
John

Yea, it was before I lost 100lbs. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I agree. It's too bad at least a few trash hounds have begun stripping old houses for their pipe and wiring, melting down bronze veteran grave markers, etc. Fortunately fate rewards at least a few copper pirates with electrocution each year. It "shocks" me (groan) to keep reading about n*****ts who kill themselves stealing LIVE FRIKKIN' WIRES!!!!! Make that "trying to steal." (-:

Reply to
Robert Green

Well, this week was different. I did the same thing as last week - put the rotors outside of the recycling bins. Only difference was that I out them out a little earlier.

A pickup came by less than an hour later and the driver took them. I guess I was a little late for his scrap run last week.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Is this the definition of being "proactive"? You know the recyclers got their schedule too.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I used two of mine as anchors for a canoe.

Reply to
shiznitski

Clock for the garage.

Reply to