OT, What Did You Expect When A Commiecrat Is In The White House?

Page 1 of 6
As of Saturday, it became illegal to unlock your cell phone. That means, even if you own it outright, you can't alter the device to make it to work on another carrier without risking a fine. ANY President is going to appoint his cronies to positions within The Executive Branch and those people will be like minded and vulnerable to the same political and corporate lobbying demands. With the current administration's disdain for The Constitution and the freedom and liberty of the citizenry, why is it not surprising that this nonsense has come about? O_o
http://preview.tinyurl.com/aox7wq8
US Copyright Office issued an order on Saturday which will make Cell Phone unlocking illegal. This order will be applied to all Cell phones purchased after this Saturday. This order is mainly aimed at large scale cell phone trafficking operations in which large quantities of cell phones are purchased, unlocked & then sold in foreign markets at lesser rates. It can also be implemented to individuals who unlock their phones. People who unlock their cell phones may be subjected to a fine of up to $2500. Large scale operations may be fined up to $500,000 & may be jailed for 5 years. Previously cell phone unlocking was not an offense but this new order overturns that ruling. O_o
TDD
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 22:40:02 -0600, The Daring Dufas

My wife told me about this the other day and I thought it was crazy for it to apply to an individual. I'm not a phone guy but I wonder how they find out if the phone is unlocked or not? I've seen ways to do it for my phone but just didn't seem worth it to me.

This is mostly aimed at literally crushing the used phone market. They want you to use your phone until the contract is out and trade it in on a newer phone with a new contract. Then they crush the old phone. If you could sell an unlocked phone (or one that could be unlocked) , you would not trade it in and they would lose the sale of yet another new phone..
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I believe that it was the library of congress, not the whitehouse or the president or the USPTO, that came down with that ruling.
Because circumventing the software inside your phone that locks it to a specific carrier falls under copyright legislation, and the library of congress can apparently make some broad rulings about when copyright rules apply - and when they don't.

New phones cost the service providers money - because they have to subsidize the cost (to the tune of hundreds of dollars, some times up to $650 for iPhone). I'm sure they'd rather not have to do that.

No, there are lots of used (refurbished) phones that get used in secondary markets.
Interesting that Apple sells their iPhones unlocked here in Canada.
When you've been paying $60 a month on a 2-year contract and were given a new iPhone when the contract started, of that $60, $20 went to pay for the phone. After 2 years, you own the phone, and should be able to use it on any network. But because it's locked to the original carrier, they expect you'll come back to them after the contract is over and keep using your 2-year-old phone on their network.

Librarian of Congress serves at the pleasure of the president.

If they did not want to do it, they wouldn't. Phone companies get these phones much cheaper than retail and they use them to sell contracts, something they want to do.

there will be less of them.

The Telcos here aggressively sell new phones with more features that eat more minutes.
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:21:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Go ahead and picket the White House then.

They do it for the same reason new car dealers offer financing. So the cost is spread over time. Many of their customers couldn't afford or bite on a big up front hit. It's all in the contract. You can't sell a financed car without paying off the loan first. Might seem a stretch, but some of these new smart phones cost 7-9 bills retail, and get a 4 bill subsidy from the cell carrier. AFAIK if you fulfill the agreed contract the carrier will unlock a locked phone. The finance company gives you the car title when you pay off that contract. You can pay the price on an unlocked phone, and you can pay for a car without financing too.

Not really. The big market for used phones is Europe/Asia. Unless they begin hardware locking GSM phones - which is doubtful - Europe/Asia won't pay attention to US law.

Sure, and car dealers still sell gas-guzzing cars with bells and whistles. You can buy them, or not buy them. Personally, I drive a real cheap Chevy, and our two T-Mobile cell phones cost us a total of about 75 bucks a year. Don't even know if they're locked. They were virtually free with the initial 100 buck Gold prepaid plan. And I see better unlocked phones at Sears, Walmart, etc., for $50-60. This ruling appears to address scamming on high-end subsidized phone prices. Don't know exactly how that works, but I've seen comments by high-end phone users (Iphones, etc) on how they profited selling their subsidized phone after unlocking it.
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:52:45 -0600, Vic Smith

That was not my experience. I ended up selling my old phone on Ebay for a few bucks to someone who did want to unlock it.

Old phones get sent to third world countries. Where they unlock them and re-use.

There is also the principle of first sale at work here. You *own* the book you bought and can sell it and your license to its copyright at any time, to anyone. You can also scribble in it at any time.
I'm probably one of the biggest proponents of intellectual property there is, but this is a simple give away to big business.

No, they rather like the situation. They *do* recover their investment with a rather large profit. Though this has little (or nothing) to do with the situation. The issue is unlocking phones *AFTER* the contract is over. That is, the phone's costs, and profit, has already been recovered.

This decision dries that market up completely. In fact, this decision makes your suggestion that the wireless companies don't like the "subsidy" market model, ridiculous.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with the price of china in cuba.

Exactly. However, under this ruling you wouldn't have the right to unlock your, now paid for, phone and take it to another carrier, or sell it to someone who would.
You obviously haven't thought this through.

No you don't, Dumbie. Impossible.
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:02:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Hey, give it some time after you take your meds before you communicate here. It will help you make more sense.
On 1/31/2013 8:18 PM, Doug wrote:

At least the drugs he takes are prescribed by his doctor, you on the other hand are obviously smoking/snorting/injecting substances frowned upon by the legal system. ^_^
TDD

I have an ON and OFF switch on my cell. I don't need a key to unlock it.

Do they still have witch doctors in America?
On 2/1/2013 3:54 AM, harry wrote:

No, they all moved to Canaduh!
http://witchdoctor.ca /
On 2/1/2013 2:54 AM, harry wrote:

There are British doctors here too, the witch doctors are probably more numerous in The U.S. in places around The Gulf Coast from Florida to Louisiana not to mention outside The U.S. in The Caribbean Islands. ^_^
TDD

You would never know, Dumbie.

You can buy unlocked phones and you can unlock the locked phone you bought once the contract expires. The point of this rule is: you can't have your cake and eat it, too. If you want the convenience of an unlocked phone, pay full price. If you want to get a discount on the phone, buy it locked under contract and abide by the terms of the contract. Your choice.

Where in the contract does it say that the user can't unlock the phone after the two year contract expires? Examples please.....
All the contracts I've had simply require you to keep the service for a minimum of 2 years to get the discount on the phone purchase. And if you don't keep it two years, they don't have the govt fine you or put you in jail. They simply charge you the price difference between what you paid and what the phone would have otherwise cost.
On Jan 29, 12:40am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've had ATT and Verizon. Neither required or even offered to take my old phone. And they are not making money on the cell phones either. On most of the plans, you can get a nice phone for free or $50 with a two year contract. And they offer similar discounts off high-end phones. They make their real money on the monthly service.