(OT) Welcome back the Newspaper boy

Page 1 of 2
Back in the late 90's it appeared that the daily newspaper was a dying thing. People could go online and read the news on multiple sites. This was true, and I found myself going in that direction. There were web sites that had the same text and photos as the paper. Some even had the cartoons. For awhile, I continued to get the newspaper as well as reading it online. Somewhere around 2003, I decided that it did not make sense to pay for the newspaper, which I was not reading very often anymore. I cancelled it. For a few years I would read the news online, and felt that was all I needed. However, in the last few years I've been noticing more and more that the news media websites have become so cluttered with useless garbage and ads that I was spending hours trying to get the latest news, and often left their sites feeling aggravated.
These sites are no longer like a newspaper. They are a massive clutter of trash, with bits and pieces of the news scattered in between. How many damn videos are needed to address a news story anyhow? And why all the flash content that takes quite awhile to load, occasionally causes my browser to crash, and becomes very annoying more often than now, when things are bouncing around on the page and popups and other useless jink, not to mention that the pages are at least half advertising, and clicking on something that appears to be news, is really ads. Then too, how many goddamn facebook and twitter icons do they really need on each page.
I've had it with the internet media sites. I just returned to getting my daily newspaper, and am very pleased. I can sit back and relax while reading the news, weather and sports, and even enjoy a few cartoons, without being bombarded with trash and other annoyances. Sure the paper costs a few bucks each week, but I have to take into consideration that electricity to run the computer costs money too, not to mention having to constantly upgrade the computer and install new browsers and software just to keep up with all this useless garbage they flood their sites with. After all, time is money too, and even if the upgrades dont cost anything, it takes time to keep installing the software and learning to use it. Yet, in the end, who needs it. A newspaper is pretty simple. It's a text news story, and some photos to back up the text. Then there's some advetising, and that's it. Whatever happened to the simple websites that looked like a newspaper?
Then again, it dont stop there. The entire internet has become a massive pile of garbage. Websites that used to offer content, now are filled with trash. The newsgroups are dying fast, which means soon, we will only have that repulsive facebook and twitter to say what we want to say, and only a huge mass of garbage for websites.
Considering what I've spent for computers, software, electricity to run them, and many many hours of my time, the cost of a newspaper is cheap in comparison. And better yet, I can sit back and read the newspaper without it poping up and telling me my browser is outdated and I need to install another version of adobe flash, or finding bad page rendering, where the text is on top of a photo, etc.....
Maybe the old ways were better.......
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 04:34:34 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

And you don't need a Wi-Fi connection in the bathroom to read it.
I considered stopping it after the last price increase, but after complaining they made me a deal. I've read the paper version all of my life and prefer it.

OTOH, I carry my cell phone every day to work. Carrying a newspaper around looks rather odd. Oh, and no Wi-Fi, just 4G. ;-)

I gave up on local rags long ago. Most refused to stop littering my driveway.
On 11-22-2012 14:02, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

I warned them of a one-dollar handling fee. They didn't stop.
I sent them an invoice. They didn't stop.
I sent them an invoice with interest on the previous balance and typical dunning language. They stopped.
--
Wes Groleau

From the cowardice that shrinks from new truth,
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:08:06 -0500, Wes Groleau

Yep, unpaid circulation is still circulation. They can't afford to admit how bad their business really is. Their fault.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 04:34:34 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

If you only use the computer to read news I might at least consider your opinion, otherwise not. I do several things on mine and while it does require upkeep on occasion and can be a pain (sounds like my wife too), I prefer to read my news on the net. I only get a Sunday newspaper because of my wife but she is starting to read on the net too.

I use my computer for other stuff besides the news, but I'm only speaking of using the internet, not the computer itself.
I only use the internet to do email and occasionally look up a subject, for example, when I'm fixing my car and want to look up how to do the repair, or what type of fluid goes in the gear case, etc. Occasionally there may be another subject. Other than that, I read a few newsgroups, and bring up the local weather radar maps. That's it.
Back in the 90's I had fun on the internet. It's not fun anymore. It's downright aggravating most of the time, trying to find some useful content in a pile of rubbish. Even trying to do some research on a car repair or something like that is a huge struggle to find sites that actually have information, reather than those fake sites that try to lure a person there and are filled with nothing but ads, or want me to pay for the info, or register to read it. I refuse to pay, and refuse to register to read a damn article.
Af for social interaction with others, it seems that it's all about facebook these days, and that is nothing but a bunch of immature punks, while FB itself is monitoring everything we do and say. I wouldn't use FB even if they offerred to pay me for it.
As for upgrading, my oldest computer with Windows98 and my newest one with XP, both do everything else (non-internet) perfectly. I can watch movies, play music, edit photos, do accounting, type letters, and much more. It's just the internet stuff that keeps demanding upgrades.
Once usenet is dead, which wont be long, I'll probably cancel my internet service. I can get email and weather radar maps on my cellphone, and in the rare occasion that I need repair info for my car, I can go to a WIFI spot with my laptop. The internet overall is a dying thing except that horrid facebook.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:45:16 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I may not agree 100% but I see where you are coming from and admit you make valid points. Actually my daughter for other reasons does as you want... just uses her cell phone for internet tho she has a laptop and only uses it for internet when she comes to visit us. I find my cell phone a bit small and slow to use regularly for internet browsing even tho it's 4G and not that old. I guess for now, I'll stick with my internet service at home.

I do agree it's hard to read those small screens on cellphones. But for a weather radar map, they are ok. And for email, as long as the email is text only, they work fine. I cant read most other websites on a small screen though.
Most young people dont even use email anymore. Everything goes on Facebook. That thought scares me. Like I want everyone to know that I woke up with a stomach ache, or my wife had her menstral cycle today. Then again, most of what these kids post on there is meaningless anyhow. I was recently in a bar, and the crowd was mostly 21 to 30. All night they sat there testing each other and taking photos of each other and posting them on FB. WTF???? Why cant they just talk to each other in the bar? I did not stay long......
I dont understand this young generation, and in many ways, I dont want to. I still remember the early days of the internet, when people went to geocities and made a simple website to share about themselves or their business or hobby. I enjoyed that. Today there is no such thing, just the commercial sites and FB. It's sad what the internet has become!
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:47:32 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Now we more or less are 100% in agreement <grin>. I have 2 daughters in mid twenties and like you I can't always figure out their thinking. I've gotten to the point I just ask them what's new on FB. Like you said, everything is on FB even our extended family news.
I do miss the days of active usenet newsgroups but just accept it now. I guess it's because I felt like usenet was more personal and the web seems so impersonal. I'm probably just getting old, old in attitude or both.

I actually got quite angered at a good friend for doing so. If someone says something like "our dad fixed the dryer today", that's fine, or a friend says "I went camping with my buddy and we did......". That's ok too. But when they mention names, post photos, or talk personal stuff, that's where I get angry.

Usenet *WAS* more personal, and still can be on the few remaining active groups. I'm old myself, but it's not just me. The internet has changed and for the worse. In fact, much worse. Try to even get some clipart of a turkey for example. You'll waste an hour getting to sites that want you to pay for that piece of art, or sites that are worthless entirely but link to nearly any search word, and sites that want you to register just to download that picture, and that dont even address the extreme amount of advertising and the popups and other shit.
I only accept it because there is no other choice. However, these days, I spend about 70% less time on the internet than I did in the 90's. Back then it was fun to just look at websites, and download freeware to try out, and just chit chat on the newsgroups. These days most websites are more junk than value, so I only go on the web to research something, such as how to fix the brakes on my car. I've mostly given up downloading any kind of software because it's all half working demos, or what they call "free", which in the end is not (the download is free, the software is not). And most newsgroups are either dead or filled with people who either bash others, or use every newsgroup for politics, or other annoyances. Also, it seems there is no humor on the newsgroups anymore.
I remember when the CB radios were a big thing in the 70's, and everyone had fun on them. That died, just the way I think the internet soon will. Except the internet will continue in some ways, such as facebook, but will have no real value. People often tell me I should get a more updated computer, with a newer edition of Windows, etc. I ask them why. For all the other things I do on the computer (non-internet), even my 13 year old Windows 98 one still works fine. It's just the internet that keeps adding stuff that the older systems cant handle. But what are they adding that is of value? In my opinion, NOTHING. I'm perfectly happy (and prefer), the older simple text and photos ONLY sites. Pretty much like a newspaper or magaine. After all, why do we need all this flash content, and scripts, and moving animated stuff, just to post some information?
A good example is this: A local festival used to have a simple basic website. I could go on it, and in a few minutes I'd know who was performing, what date and time, and so on. Last year they made the entire site using flash junk. It would not load at all using Firefox, or another Mozilla based broswer. It only worked with IE, and my version of IE was too old to work properly. I spent almost 2 hours fighting with the samn site, and finally just called their office and asked them to recite the entire schedule for me on the phone. They were not pleased, and told me to go to their website. That's when I told them the whole story, and that it dont work right. This was the opening day for the event, and whoever created the thing, apparently tried to fix it, and crashed the whole site. I went to the event, and heard numerous people complaining that the website dont work......
I went to their office and asked them if they could please go back to the old website that they used to have. The guy said that the person who designs it, dont know how to make it like it used to be. That's when I wrote down my phone number and email address, and told them that I'd be happy to do their site next year, and it will be just like it used to be, and wont have any useless junk on it. Just the dates, schedule, and some photos. I am hoping they call me next summer.
On 11/19/2012 4:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I tried lining the bottom of the birdcage with my roommate's laptop but....... O_o
TDD
Thanks, one of my rare laughs.

I tried lining the bottom of the birdcage with my roommate's laptop but....... O_o
TDD
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:35:34 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Heck, you just didn't use enough laptops <g>.

Maybe an iPad is more suitable. When the bird poops on it, it will play an iTune.
On 11/20/2012 12:42 PM, Frank wrote:

Perhaps it could be programed to "Tweet" when that occurs? There must be an app for that? ^_^
TDD

Damn it! Now you got me started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzXM58qR1Es

http://jokideo.com/a-dell-rolling-in-the-deep /
http://www.viralviralvideos.com/2012/03/11/old-man-uses-ipad-as-cutting-board /
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:31:04 -0600, The Daring Dufas

...and post it on Twitter. At least it'll be good for something.
On 11/19/2012 5:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

+1,000,000
On 11/19/2012 4:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

One must learn to filter out the male bovine droppings from the truth. O_o
TDD