OT, We Had 5-8 Inches Of Rain Last Night

Page 2 of 3
On 4/8/2014 8:49 AM, dgk wrote:

There are a few things that man has done that could be contributing factors. In third world countries, rain forests are being cleared to open land up for cattle farming and cow farts contain a lot of green house gases. Pesticides that are very effective against termites have been banned which keep termites from eating "man made" wooden structures and the termites fart a lot of greenhouse gasses. Of course, 7 billion human beings are farting out a lot of greenhouse gasses. So it can be assumed that most farts are the fault of mankind and are one of the biggest contributors to global warming. ^_^
TDD

But to suggest the government doesn't skew their funding and they don't have vested interests is also a scam, since politicians are involved. There is nothing inherently pure about government money, either.
but what they conceal is vital."
On 4/8/2014 8:49 AM, dgk wrote:

I'm in the camp that there's nothing outside of of normal variability observed and I'm far from convinced the models have the ability to "prove" anything else.
The proponents are guilty of the same argument they complain of--that they're using very short-term data to claim evidence of longterm change.
By historical data, we're still coming out of the last ice age so it's not at all unlikely in my view that a period of warming could be expected and since all the initial hoopla began the last number of years have pretty much negated that trend, anyways.
That results have conclusively been shown to have been selectively chosen to produce desirable results in studies and that the proponents are also largely in favor of more governmental controls in general is also the political and bias inside the movement aside from the "pure" science issues.
I've previously likened it much as what I observed 20 and 30 yr ago while consulting for the "fusion in 20 years" camp at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab and Rochester Lab for Laser Energetics where despite the obvious difficulties it was a nearly religious belief in the program that had evolved simply by being so closely involved that any result that didn't fit or criticism was essentially overwhelmed by the momentum of the effort. As we now know, we're _still_ 20+ yr away and likely, imo, will be another 30 from now.
I expect in another 20 or 30 we'll discover this has all gone the way of the "nuclear winter" of the late 50s and 60s.
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:27:29 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

An even better comparison is the big hoopla in the 70's about the *cooling* trend. You had the "experts" in climate science warning that we could be entering a mini ice age. Time Magazine ran a cover story in 1977, "How to Survive the Coming Ice Age". Now the climate change camp will immediately claim that today we know so much more, better models, etc. But the same thing could have been said in 1977 compared to 1940, etc.
That said, my position from about 2000 on was that we should take simple cost effective steps to reduce carbon emissions, where practical and possible. A simple example would be better insulation for houses, higher efficiency furnaces, etc. Given that that we have apparently had some of the hottest years here over the past decade, I would normally say we should probably ratchet up trying to reduce CO2 more aggressively. But the thing for me that indicates we can still wait is that global warming has stopped for the last decade. We're still near the peak, hence still having some years that are among the hottest on record, but if you look at a 100 year chart, it's flattening out for the last 10 years and appears like it could roll over and go back down.
http://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/why-did-earth%E2%80%99s-surface-temperature-stop-rising-past-decade
Also, carbon emissions have steadily increased during that period, yet temperature has flattened out. If the temp curve breaks out on the upside from the 10 year consolidation, then I'd ratchet up the CO2 reduction program.
The problem with any aggressive response is that it's going to be costly. For example, we have plenty of cheap nat gas and replacing it with something else is going to be more costly. This is particularly bad since US industries, jobs, etc are at a disadvantage to places like China. If you put us at a further disadvantage, while China burns cheap coal and does what they want, the consequences to that are more predictable IMO, than global warming. So, I'd give it a few more years. I guess you can call me a global warming agnostic.

Be prepaired for a massive El Nino over the next 18-24 months if that bubble of very warm water in the south Pacific rises to the surface - which it most likely will. Hang onto your hats - and anything else that could blow away or blow down.
On 4/8/2014 11:27 AM, dpb wrote: ...

Meanwhile, a generation or two will have made their livings doing their work and some useful data will have been collected and some general advances in understanding global climatology will undoubtedly be of some longterm benefit. But, for the most part, it'll just turn out to have been an academic exercise of no real import.

Western NY had a slight rain on Monday, but nothing like that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/7/2014 2:32 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Actually, just noticed I reversed the Max High columns; the rest is correct.
> SW KS deltas Mid AL deltas > Max High 82 F 78 F > Min High 8 F 70 F 43 F 39 F > Max Low 46 F 56 F > Min Low -5 F 51 F 29 F 27 F > Max Day swing 58 F (24-82F) 38 F (39F-77F)

What avoided the "nuclear winter" was an avoidance of nuclear conflict.
What will be the cause of "climate change" going the way of "Nuclear Winter"??
On 4/8/2014 8:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How about avoiding giving elected officials any power to make decisions?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/8/2014 7:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That there likely really isn't any outside of general variation? If you look over a longer period of time (like 10s of K years instead less than a lifetime) it's pretty clear we've been in a remarkably and unusually quiescent stage for quite a while...maybe it's time for a change; maybe it isn't.

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 20:53:19 -0400, Stormin Mormon

The power of elected officials to make ANY change, muchless change to mother nature's temper, is extremely limited at best.
On 4/8/2014 9:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

In the US, our elected reps have been changing the laws, tax structure, the way people purchase medical care, and have enacted arbitrary and burdensome laws and penalties like photo enforced traffic lights, taxes and fees which are too numerous to mention. Due to all that change, the US economy is tragic.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Probably about .05" to .08" a few days ago in south central Nebraska. We are abnormally dry according to the U.S. Drought Monitor. Western Nebraska is in a stage of drought. The monitor is here if you're interested. http://tinyurl.com/ltov5dh I heard stories a few days ago about our government trucking salmon to their spawning grounds.
On 4/9/2014 6:30 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

I see the drought tongue sticking into Central Alabamastan and I think conditions have improved since a few years ago when reservoirs got low and there were some crop failures. I haven't heard anything in the news lately about any drought conditions in my area. ^_^
TDD
Dean Hoffman > wrote:

In North West Nebraska Panhandle we received .01" and we are very dry with the wind and dirt blowing every day.

Isn't it amazing that the guys who study climate aren't aware that this is just normal variation? You'd think that they might actually know what the normal variation would be. I think they do.
On 4/9/2014 9:52 AM, dgk wrote:

There are lies, damn lies, statistics then there is climate change junk science. ^_^
TDD
Per dgk:

I don't know squat about climate science, but I get the impression that Antarctic ice core samples contain actual air from periods hundreds of thousands of years ago up to relatively recently - and that these samples tell what the CO2 concentrations were at those times. Kind of like growth rings on a tree tell a story of the tree's life.
What the normal variation is, I have no clue.... but I would think that somebody qualified to interpret the data would know. But I do keep hearing that recent numbers are way, way out of line with anything seen before.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 4/12/2014 9:09 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/p526x296/10011478_620102384736633_2058592895_n.jpg
A good friend of mine posted this on Facebook today.