OT (Way off) When cars had style

Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.
For those of us that remember when they you could name every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new model year.............
This may bring back a few memories!!!!
Bob-tx
http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm
on 5/13/2009 5:17 PM (ET) Bob-tx wrote the following:

I agree wholeheartedly. I think all cars now are made from the same blueprints except for giving each a different grill.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

--

Yes, but you know what -- I haven\'t had a new car rust out at all like those
older ones did in just a couple of years.
Scott Olsen wrote:

car sitting in the Florida sun will be a pile of plastic and a few little clumps of Bondo :o)

Aerodynamics is king nowadays.
Besides, as long as the car moves me and my stuff from point A to point B, I hardly care what it looks like. It's a tool. It should be designed for function.
Cindy Hamilton
Much the same, here. Four wheels, and starts when I turn the key.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Besides, as long as the car moves me and my stuff from point A to point B, I hardly care what it looks like. It's a tool. It should be designed for function.
Function is more important than form, but when you can have both, why not? I guess Michelangelo and Rembrandt could have gotten their point across without all the detail too. Why bother with al the colors in clothing when natural is good enough. Paint would be cheaper if the only color was brown.

Aerodynamics is part of the function. It helps to minimize gas consumption. I realize that wasn't part of my original spec, but given how much I value utility that should go without saying.
You are talking to a woman who has two identical pairs of black shoes (oxfords), two navy blue suits, two gray suits, and two black suits. Usually worn with a white blouse.
Cindy Hamilton

Think I saw an oil leak under that Corvair. If not, then it's out of oil :-)
Bob-tx wrote:

Thanks for that. I enjoyed looking through them. Amazing how tastes differed in different cultures though becoming similar. Living on the other side of The Pond, the one photo I really appreciated was where Herbie sneaked into the picture ( 57 Mercury Turnpike)!
: Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old : codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into : might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.
: For those of us that remember when they you could name : every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new : model year.............
Nice.
The most beautiful cars I've ever seen were designed in the 1930s, and appeard ina fantastic show called Curves of Steel a couple of years ago. Some examples here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/24/sunday/main2849103.shtml
    -- Andy Barss
Bob-tx wrote:

a Buick ...Special? 1960? Navy blue, elegant. I could do 125 (as high as the speedometer went) and it was still accelerating. Can't believe I did that :o)
Bob-tx wrote:

YEAH! They had chrome...they had wing windows...they had windshields that weren't raked so much that you couldn't clean the inside.
Some had added benefits. My '51 Studebaker Starlight coupe had arm rests in the back that flipped open exposing the (enclosed) wheel well below. If one were so inclined, one could dump in a bunch of ice and a six pack or two.
dadiOH

Beauties. I always said if I win money old cars are going to be my hobby;-} My first car was a 1959 Chev., what is left of it is still behind my Dads. Metal dash, no seat belts,283 engine,go like the wind... Big car with lots of metal but I figure if you ever were in an accident you were toast. Good times.:-}