OT (Way off) Newsgroups readers

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:10:27 -0800, David Nebenzahl

I'll venture a guess. T-Bird is an e-mail client for the most part and not a true news reader, per se. I don't use, nor have ever used T-bird, but that is my understanding. I can be corrected if I'm wrong on this.
On 10/31/2010 7:33 PM Oren spake thus:

Well, no, Thunderbird *is* designed both as an email and a news client, so you're wrong there.
But I'm asking about *specific* complaints about Thunderbird as a newsreader.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Consider a MacBook Pro & run your old Windows machine as a VM (Virtual Machine via Fusion by VM Ware)
You'll be able to run your entire old WIndows machine (sans the old hardware) as a virtual machine. My PC died nearly two years ago but I cloned onto my new Mac before it bit the dust. I used to run it all the time but slow by slow I made the total shift to the Mac world.
Great software & was only ~ $60
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion /
I even have a VM (virtual machine) of ancient WIn 95 that I run very occasionally, like a few times per year.
Keep your old PC software running via a Windows VM on a Mac..... seems strange but it really works.
I even have a DOS Bellville washer program (from late 1990's) that I can still run. :)
Go Mac & "VM" your Windows troubles away.
cheers Bob
alt.home.repair:

Yes, Xnews works just fine in Windows 7, but you must install it to some location other then Program Files. The reason is that recent Windows security features prevent a program from writing user data in the program directory. If you install Xnews to some other location of your choosing, it works great. I use it daily.