OT (Way off) Newsgroups readers

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@peckerhead.net wrote:

I'll chime in here, as one who prefers the ancient Win95-era newsreader News Xpress from which this message is being posted. I've been trying to like Thunderbird and am losing the battle.
I can either read a given message in the third panel, or double-click the message and have it open in a new Thunderbird tab. That's nice.
What ain't nice is that to get rid of the latter tab, I have to CTRL-W, just as with a browser window, or close it by clicking the usual close "X" in the tab. That's fine for browsers, where tabs often are desired to remain for some period of time. It rapidly becomes a real PITA for viewing each newsgroup message. If ESC closed the message window I'd probably be a happy camper.
If this is a configuration option, or if I'm missing the Big Picture here, please say so.
Art
Arthur Shapiro wrote: ...

Why use a second window at all? Set up here w/ split window of headers in top, view in lower. No need for any window operations at all -- 'n' for next unread, 't' for next unread thread, 'k' to kill/quit watching thread, etc., etc., ...
If want to make a reply, then opens a window for that purpose, of course, but other than that, no.

Mainly cuz many of is are geezers with marginal eyesight and gimpy appendages. I use slrn for two reasons:
1) I can change from split to a single window and back in any mode, giving me full screen view of groups, threads, or articles, as I need. Plus, I can do it all from my keyboard without having to reach for that gotdamn mouse!
2) I'm in command line mode with gives me more area for big ol' geezer sized fonts. No borders, scroll bars, menus, or toolbars wasting valuble screen real estate.
I'd rather row through a dozen maximized windows via alt-tab than put up with all those microscopic tiled windows I gotta put on my geezer glasses to see.
nb

To lessen the probability of having to scroll - the second window is, obviously, "big". For people who bottom-post (!) and/or can't trim huge amounts of original text, the split window virtually ensures having to scroll to the bottom to see the new text. The separate window at least gives a better shot of seeing the interesting stuff without scrolling.
Art
Arthur Shapiro wrote:

People who regularly don't (bottom-post, that is) are almost always kill-filed... :)
'Page' and/or 'End' make quick work of that and keeping the thread window pretty small (there's no need for it, much, anyway, really) makes it pretty painless (certainly far better than a separate window, anyway).
$0.02, ymmv, etc., of course...
On 11/1/2010 10:33 AM Arthur Shapiro spake thus:

So this is your complaint with Thunderbird, correct? That you feel you have to open messages in a new window (not pane) and then have to close that window?
Not a totally invalid complaint; I understand your wanting a larger window. But you do realize that you can resize Thunderbird's panes to suit, don't you? Couldn't you just make the Tbird window tall (say the height of your desktop), then reduce the message header pane and make the message display pane as large as possible?
The only thing you might gain from a different newsreader would be the ability to move panes around within the application window; I'm not even sure which newsreaders allow you do do this. So it doesn't seem like that great an obstacle to your enjoying Thunderbird.
Of course, there may be other things you don't like about this program. I have several myself (see other postings in this thread). However, my annoyance is slight enough that it's pretty much swamped by my laziness when it comes to looking for a better news client ...
On 10/31/2010 5:13 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

I have WinXP and use Thunderbird for email and newsgroups with no problems. I have never used Outlook, and started out with Netscape back in ?....93?
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:13:35 -0500, "Bob-tx" <NOBSPAM

I like Agent. For one thing, it will run anywhere since you don't have to "install" it. You can run off a thumb drive and just take it all with you when you go.
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:59:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I just ZIP a file of the directory, and save as a backup. When needed in the future, un-zip it and run it from a short cut icon to exe file.. No install whatsoever.

I'm an OE junkie. I use "Windows Mail" too and it works fine. Better than most. From what I understand "Windows 7" has a program very similar to "Windows Mail". I don't know if it's "Live Mail" but I'd probably just use it. I've tried other newsreaders and I always drop out during the learning curve.
Jim

Windows Live Mail version 2010 is as good as OE. The new 2011 version sucks for newsgroups. I used system restore to get rid of it and revert back to the 2010 version.
MS does not seem to care about newsgroups at all. They removed the ability to have the . character define the old message when you reply. They only sow a thumbnail of photos, but they do offer a slide show for multiple photos, a potential benefit there.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message wrote

Windows Live Mail version 2010 is as good as OE. The new 2011 version sucks for newsgroups. I used system restore to get rid of it and revert back to the 2010 version.
MS does not seem to care about newsgroups at all. They removed the ability to have the . character define the old message when you reply. They only sow a thumbnail of photos, but they do offer a slide show for multiple photos, a potential benefit there.
I thought about using Restore to go back to the 2010 version, but from what I understand about restore, one will lose all the software that has been installed, plus all the W-7 updates, of which there are a bunch.
Bob-tx
alt.home.repair:

To get back to the previous version of Windows Live Mail (which is called WLM 2009, not 2010), all you have to do is uninstall the recent Windows 2011 from Control Panel, and re-install the old version, available from Micrsoft at:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyIDV883DE5-2024-4631-806E-757693072A1C
Your messages, accounts, folders, etc. should still all be intact.
"Bob-tx" wrote in message wrote

Windows Live Mail version 2010 is as good as OE. The new 2011 version sucks for newsgroups. I used system restore to get rid of it and revert back to the 2010 version.
MS does not seem to care about newsgroups at all. They removed the ability to have the . character define the old message when you reply. They only sow a thumbnail of photos, but they do offer a slide show for multiple photos, a potential benefit there.
I thought about using Restore to go back to the 2010 version, but from what I understand about restore, one will lose all the software that has been installed, plus all the W-7 updates, of which there are a bunch.
Bob-tx
Several people have said they like Tbird ng reader & wanted specifics on why I don't. 1. It is a royal pain to select specific NG. Apparently, their search doesn't work 2. File size is not indicated on the subject line so one doesn't know how big a file may be before downloading. 3. Generally clumsy and difficult to use. 4. That's enough, but there are other nits.
Bob-tx
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 19:06:49 -0500, "Bob-tx" <NOBSPAM

MS only likes venues they can control. Usenet, particularly the alt.bnaries groups, give the finger to corporate control.
On 11/1/2010 4:06 PM Bob-tx spake thus:

Not sure what you mean here. I have several newsgroups "subscribed" (meaning they show up in the list on the left-hand pane), and it's easy as pie to select a "specific NG": just click on it. Or do you mean something else?
And what "search" are you referring to? If you mean the search field to search messages in a newsgroup, then yes, it's broken as has been described elsewhere in this thread.

OK, valid complaint. (Since I never download from binary newsgroups this isn't on my list, but definitely a deficiency.)

Both of those are completely non-specific.
C'mon, vent. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Run Restore. Then run Windows update again, but be sure to have it set to manually choose what you want to install. Uncheck the Live crap and do the rest. You can hide the Live update and never bother with it again. I'm very happy to be back to the old version again.
alt.home.repair:

Unnecessary.
I don't know, but I wonder if you could load OE off an earlier operating software disk. Or, from the MS web site. Probably won't run on win 7, but it's a fun thought.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'm puzzled why you find Thunderbird's email functions fine but call it "not good at all" for newsgroups. The two are treated very similarly in Tbird.
What exactly don't you like about Thunderbird's newsgroup handling? I use it myself, realize it may not be the world's greatest newsreader, but think it's a hell of a lot better than anything Micro$oft has ever released.
I'm curious.