OT (Way off) Newsgroups readers

Page 1 of 3
I sure would appreciate a little advice from some of you more knowledgeable computer users than myself.
Recently, I moved to Windows 7. They no longer have Outlook Express - it is now 'Live mail', and in my opinion, it is a piece of junk, both for email and especially for newsgroups.
I went to 'Thunderbird' for email, but their Newsgroup reader is not good at all. Email is fine and will be better as I get used to using it.
Now, I want to go to X-News as a newsgroup reader. However, it does not list Windows 7 as one of the operating systems. Before I download and install it, I want to know if it will work with W-7.
Is anyone running Windows 7 and using x-news? I sure would appreciate any suggestions on a good news reader that is free.
Sorry for the OT, but I know we have some pretty heads up and intelligent people on here, and I need your help.
Thanks much,
Bob-tx
Use Google as your search engine. Pull down "groups," and go from there.
/paul W3FIS
deadgoose wrote:

Many block all input from Google Groups, the biggest reason is that it's a spam source.
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:43:50 -0700 (PDT), deadgoose

LOL! They OP wants a news reader....

Since Xnews works fine on Vista, I'm assuming (yes I know) it'll work fine on Win7. I intend to try when I get Win7.
--
Best regards
Han

Curious if it runs in XP mode on Vista? So it works..

Vista home basic. Just the naked exe works as is. At least on the newsservers I use, e.g. astraweb, ms, adobe, motzarella
--
Best regards
Han

The NNTP server makes no difference. OP needs the program to run on his OS (Win7). I bet it will run in XP mode.
OP -- try the install of X-News. If Win7 burps, and offers XP mode, run the install. Nothing left but to see. It won't harm your machine, but only rely on the install, itself. I'm thinking it will work in XP mode - I have old software that worked on Win7 when I selected run in XP mode.

Sorry you diudn't see the smiley that wasn't there <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

It probably does, but it's not necessary to do so.
Xnews works fine on Win7. X news is 32 bit but it'll work fine on 64 bit windows 7, like mine.
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:13:35 -0500, "Bob-tx" <NOBSPAM

Which install of Windows 7, 32 bit or 64 bit?
I crashed recently and finally put Win7 on, 32 bit (from Win2K)
X-News (based on the web site) is only supported on:
Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP.
You might try and see if X- News runs in XP mode.
If Win7 barfs, if may offer the option to run in XP mode. A favorite utility of mine would not go on Win7, but gave me the option for XP mode.
( for the best support is http://www.sevenforums.com/ )
On 10/31/2010 4:13 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

I have found Thunderbird to be an excellent news reader. What is your problem with it? Perhaps you have configured it the wrong way?
TDD

The problem with newsreaders is that you get used to a particular set of idiosyncracies. A different set just won't cut it. Similar with a nice well-used spouse ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/31/2010 6:22 PM, Han wrote:

Oh, damn, now I know who her ex is. I had no idea, she said the rubber chicken and the weed eater got to be boring after a while and she could no longer tolerate all the kinky sex.
TDD
That might explain a few of the posts, I lurk on alt.rubber.chicken sometimes. Sure has seemed that someone there is really off her feed a bit.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

.....said the child who top posts just to be an asshole.

Yes! TB does a couple of things I can't get used to.
Jim
On 10/31/2010 4:50 PM JimT spake thus:

Like what? Be specific, man.
I recently discovered, to my surprise actually, that Thunderbird doesn't know how to find messages by message ID. Kinda surprising, being as it's an open-source project written by geeks who supposedly want to follow all them RFCs and stuff.

Scratching my head too - TB works fine.