OT Warning -- How many have propane tanks in the garage?

Page 2 of 3

Gary Player. |

Totalitarianism State> wrote:

I think not for small quantities.
Many/most jurisdictions appear to use NFPA 58.
http://www.nfpa.org/faq.asp?categoryID4#22963
Q: What restrictions apply to the stoarge of propane cylinders in buildings?
A: The storage of propane in buildings is limited:
Buildings frequented by the public are limited to cylinders with a propane capacity of 1 pound. The total quantity stored is limited to 200 pounds of propane.
Buildings not frequented by the public are limited to a maximum quantity of 300 pounds of propane. The cylinder size is not restricted.
Thus the storage of a few 20/40 pound cylinders in a private residence seems essentially unregulated.
Of course, appartments and condos frequently have additional restrictions imposed by the governing authority and for very good reasons. Propane cylinders on the fifth floor balcony of a complex is probably asking for trouble.
Gary Player. |

Your worried about storing gasoline , grill propane or other flammables in your garage and yet park your cars ATV's and other GAS filled toys in it red hot after driving??? Jesh, ever wonder why a FIRE wall is required if garage is attached to your house??? Why even have a garage if you can't have flammables and your CAR in it???? LOL....

Yes. There's a big difference. I check my car (virtually) every single day.
When folks store propane tanks in the garage, they tend to go unchecked for very long periods.
In the case of the explosion that was the original topic of this thread, a homeowner had stored several propane tanks in his garage but not used/inspected them for a period of some years I think. That is when failure of valves and/or hoses can arise, even corrosion of the tank itself.
One also has to balance practical considerations with the quest for safety. Failing to park ones car in the garage can, at least to some extent, defeat the purpose of having a garage. It would be like owning a very nice gourmet kitchen but being scared to cook any actual food in it due to the fire risk.
For most folks it's probably not that ardous to find a safer storage location outside of the home.
As an aside, if was to store any gasoline/propane powered machine (e.g. gasoline powered lawn mover) in my garage for an extended period (like the winter) I would DEFINITELY drain the gas tank. This for safety and other reasons.
Gary Player. |

Probably not. But I'd invest some time cleaning and oiling the thing before the winter storage. Draining the fuel, flushing the tank, lines, and filter is perfectly normal preventative maintenance that will only add a couple more minutes to the job.
It means I'll start the new season with a properly stored and maintained mower and with fresh versus stale fuel.
Of course, you're welcome to toss your wet, mud-covered, fully-fueled mower in the garage. I doubt it will explode. But the chances are it won't start (easily) next spring either!
Gary Player. |

Gary Player. |

wrote:> You're supposed to change the oil in lawnmowers?

You must have a postage stamp sized property if you can mow the lawn in less than two hours. Those of us with sizable yards can go through 50 hours pretty fast.

??? I have approximately 2 acres minus the building footprints (small house, 2 car garage, and two small outbuildings. Ijust mowed 1/2 of it yesterday in far less than 1 hour.
Harry K

If I had to spend more than two hours, I'd let it go to hay or whatever comes up naturally. Some people get their jollies cutting the lawn, but there is more to life than a big green pasture.

I have a big yard and got tired of cutting all of it so I quit cutting all but about a 1/4 acre the house is on. The neihbors srated complaining so I seeded the "wild area" in wild flowers.
I have a 20 year old lawn mower that I only change the oil in once a year sometimes every other year. I just set it out on the curb less the engine, it still works good but the rest of it is worn out,
Jimmie
wrote in message

Spouse mowes the "lawn (~10x25 ft) using a nicely functioning push mower.
Rest of yard is beautiful.
--
Best regards
Han
wrote in message

I mow about an acre or so of about 2 1/2 acres that we own with 2 push mowers...Good exercise for us...Takes us about 2 hours or so including trimming.....Helps to keep the bugs down...Here in Maine we have bumper crops of Blackflies and Mosquitos....
benick wrote:

I'd love to let the back 1/3 of my yard go wild, seeing as how it is an easement and I don't even own it. But like most subdivided areas, code says if it is over 6" and the neighbors bitch, the PTB will mow it for me, and bill me at an exorbitant rate. Even in non-subdivided areas, code usually requires the part up by the road be kept mowed, AIUI. I also suffer from allergies, so I really can't live anywhere the grasses and other noxious weeds spend most of the summer in seed-throwing condition.
My lot is roughly 100x300, the back 100 feet being an easement into the graveyard that the previous owner and several neighbors negotiated. About 2/3 of an acre, including the house and shed footprints. If it was flat and bare, I could mow it in an hour. But it is so chopped up, and the front yard so sloped, it takes 2 or 3 hours most of the time. If I do it all in one shot (21" mulching push mower), my ass is very tired, so I usually split it over 2 nights. And I have to take the allergy meds and jump right into the shower afterward. I've considered a riding mower, but I would still have to do a lot of it with the push mower, and man a decent rider is expensive. Not to mention my shed would be awful crowded...
-- aem sends...
-snip-

Now I use a push mower because I need the exercise. . .but a few years back I couldn't, so I got a $50 rider & planned my landscape so I never had to trim. Bushes, mulched areas & flower beds rounded all the corners to a point where the rider could do them. [and believe me, this was no zero-radius rider<g>]
Jim
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:00:12 GMT, against all advice, something

You need an Ambitious Teenager.
--

Real men don\'t text.

Steve Daniels wrote:

Missed my shot at having any of those of my own, and they just grow up and move away anyway. Doesn't appear to be any freelance ones around here- everyone either does their own, or pays a lawn service.
-- aem sends...

minutes
changed
less
A typical tract house in South California usually has a lot of only 7000 sq/ft, and lately they are making them a lot smaller. My last house was on 3/4 acre and had a pretty big front lawn but it still only took 15-20 minutes to mow it. Right now I have 20 acres and no lawn but I do have to mow weeds a few times a year. But that doesn't really count.

I have about 9,000 square feet to mow. It takes about an hour (with 21-inch 5.5 HP mower).
Also, I change the oil in it once a year.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com