OT Warning -- How many have propane tanks in the garage?

A few days ago a home exploded not far from where I live.

I just read the result of the investigations into that incident:

FREMONT ? A 65-year-old Fremont man remained in a San Jose hospital Monday after suffering second-degree burns to his face and arms when his family's Warm Springs home exploded and burned over the weekend.

As Charles Stacker Sr. lay sedated in an intensive care unit at Valley Medical Center, Fremont fire investigators ? with the help of agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ? determined that the Saturday night explosion was caused by an unlikely ignition source ? static electricity from Stacker's body.

According to investigators, a leaking propane tank had filled the garage of the Stacker home on Camphor Avenue with gas that was ignited when Stacker entered the garage to check on a hissing noise.

Malcolm Hoar

And houses explode from gas leaks, bad wiring can cause a fire, and you can get hit by a car crossing the street. I keep my tank in the house. It must of been a crapy old rusted tank to leak.

Reply to
ransley

on 4/22/2009 1:51 PM (ET) Malcolm Hoar wrote the following:

None in my house. The propane tanks stay hooked up to my barbecue grill in the yard, or stored in the cabinet under the grill. That is all year round, including hot Summers and below freezing Winters. I take out the tank stored under the grill when using the grill to prevent overheating from the lit grill. No fuel is stored anywhere in my house, including the garage, which is too full to get a car in there.

Reply to
willshak

Yup, shit happens.

Probably not wise. Many fire marshals suggest that BBQ propane tanks be stored outside, preferably on a concrete slab, away from ignition sources and combustible materials.

Most places that sell tanks and refills seem to do the same, with a locked (and grounded) cage for protection. I assume that's required by one or more regulations.

It might have been the valve or hose -- they typically fail before the tank casing. Or maybe it was stored in a damp area resulting in accelerated corrosion.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

My bet, arc from the light switch. Most fire codes these days say propane tanks have to be 10' from the house, even if they are buried

Reply to
gfretwell

Or he hit the remote or pushbutton which started the door operator.

Reply to
George

None, keeping a propane tank inside is just asking for trouble.

Reply to
George

The NFPA calls for 10' for tanks over 125gallons [and under

2001gallons]. My 100gallon tank is adjacent to the house and meets all codes.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I think these were small (20 pound?) BBQ tanks.

I don't believe those codes would apply here although I suspect there are various regulations applicable to the sale and transport of even small tanks.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Heck, it should be "ESPECIALLY" if they are buried. Gas has a funny way of traveling underground and entering basements.

I'm not sure just how big a 125 gallon tank is but I suspect it's the one that's about 5' high and a little more that 3' in diameter. I have seen BANKS of them put right outside of restaurants and two put next to a home.

Maybe they use the BANKS just so they can keep them closer in. Once the fuel truck comes in it's only a little more trouble to fill several tanks one after the other.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Hmmm, Souns like you are a fool as well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nope...could easily be a valve that failed...happens all the time.

Or the temperature rises and they vent.

I have known of two houses that have exploded because of propane tanks..both new ones recently purchased.

Propane is heavier than air and will pool in the lower areas.

Any ignition source....*BOOM*.

Anyone who keeps a propane tank inside is a fool.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

I recall getting homeowners insurance at one time where there was a clause in the policy that stated that you could not keep gasoline in the house, and wondered about where people would keep fuel for a lawnmower. I don't recall anything being mentioned about propane.

Reply to
SMS

How about your camp gear? Lantern? Stove? I had an almost full quart butane canister leak down after I removed it from the lantern. Then there are the hand torch small tanks that could do the same. I never have had one of those leak though.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Sorry, I don't go camping. I did forget one thing though. I do keep my fueled up snow blower equipped tractor in my attached garage in the Winter, only because I can't keep it in the unheated detached shed. The throttle and choke cables freeze up and it can't be started. I have to push it out into the snow and try to warm up the cables with a small propane torch, which, by the way, is also kept in the attached garage all year.

Reply to
willshak

Out of interest, I briefly perused a number of propane storage recommendations. Quantities of 1 pound and less are not really viewed a significant hazard, in the house or garage.

There's no doubt that the 20 and 40 pound cylinders should be stored outside.

The small propane (or butane) torches, camping stoves etc. are probably quite safe PROVIDED they're checked from time to time and in sound condition.

I did also audit my garage for other hazards -- a useful exercise I think. I found:

  • Mineral spirits (metal can)
  • Denatured alcohol (metal can)
  • Insecticdes

The quantities are not sufficient to represent a signifant risk I think. All are stored on high shelves since I have kids and don't want them messing with those items.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

After you've seen the aftermath of a house explosion from a NG leak, you get religion and keep the propane tanks outdoors. A house in my neighborhood blew up because of NG, killed an elderly couple instantly (dryer fitting was leaking) at 5AM when they woke up. The explosion and concussion was heard 2 miles away, house was leveled. My propane stays attached to the grill all year with valve off, never had a problem running the grill, see no reason whatsoever to bring the tank indoors.

Reply to
RickH

Nope...could easily be a valve that failed...happens all the time.

Or the temperature rises and they vent.

I have known of two houses that have exploded because of propane tanks..both new ones recently purchased.

Propane is heavier than air and will pool in the lower areas.

Any ignition source....*BOOM*.

Anyone who keeps a propane tank inside is a fool.

TMT

This can't ever happen to me because the government made me buy all new tanks with Overfill Protection Valves. Nothing can go wrong now.

Reply to
Ulysses

I have. I don't take them off the torch any more untill they are empty.

Reply to
clare

ya, i wonder where they expect you to park your car? Seems it's a big fuel container also to me.

Reply to
Steve Barker