A local bar had a 5 gallon plastic pail outside the door. It had about 3
inches of sand in the bottom. Put there to snuff out butts. No one ever
emptied it. One night it was right to the top with butts, when it
started on fire. So I tell the bartender, and she hands me a pitcher
full of ice. I said I need water not ice. She said "the ice will cool
down the fire". I was not gonna argue, I ran out back tossed the ice on
it, and told another guy to get some water. A pitcher of ice and
another one of water killed the flames, but it still smoldered. Then
another bartender got a whole mop pail full of water and killed the
fire. The pail was melted, and it charred some paint on the wood door
frame, but it could have been much worse.
I later told that bartender (a young woman), that water is better than
ice for a fire. While some drunk guy insisted whisky would be better
yet..... I just laughed, and said "you'd drink it before you got to the
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.