OT: Walmart LED Sale!

Page 1 of 2
60 W equivalent, non-dimmable, $2.44 (bought 4 and no problems...instant-on)
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 1:00:15 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:

"GreatValue" branded.

Do they have "cool white" or "daylight"? I don't like the "warm white".
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 11:54:43 PM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:

"cool white" (˘◡°)_/¯
On 10/25/2015 11:55 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

I don't either. It looks like dirty yellow.
--
60 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/26/2015 10:34 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one. I recently replaced a fixture that came with a warm white tube and it's yellow. My eye doctor says I'm starting to develop cataracts and my world will start getting more yellow as the years go by. I turned that damn thing on and thought the process had drastically accelerated. I have to go back to Home Depot and find the 'real bright white' replacement.
On 10/26/2015 10:03 PM, rbowman wrote:

I searched for "cataracts carbohydrates" (without quotes) and Dr Google returned:
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DietNutrition/3488
On 10/20/2015 2:00 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Cheapest I've seen them. I bought a couple of spares when they were $4 at Lowes. My oldest LEDs are about going on 1 years now and I'm very happy with them.

I just paid $12 (on sale) for a 100W equivalent. That's not exactly cheap, but 60W is not bright enough, and the fixture I am putting the bulb is left ON at least 12 hours per day, so I know it will save on the electric bill. I'm hoping that in the near future the 100W equivalent bulbs will get more affordable.
One noticable thing about the 100W equivalent bulbs is their weight. They are quite heavy, and considerably larger than standard bulbs. I'm assuming they have a much larger heat sink inside to account for their weight. As far as their size, it barely fit in the fixture!

One problem with LED's is getting the light where you need it to go. If the light goes mostly out the end and you need it out the side, a different style lamp makes all the difference at lower wattage. The Philips disc shaped bulbs may work better in those instances.

to use a dual lamp adapter and plug two 60Watters into one socket. The $2.50 adapter plus two $1 dollar store 60W LEDs is still cheaper than one 100W LED. And you get 20% more light and better dispersion. This won't work if it has to fit inside some fixture.

This is what I did in the basement with two early, dim CFLs.

You know a place to get dollar store 60W LEDs for a dollar? I thought 2.44 was the cheapest.

There's a lot of heat to dissipate on a 100W equivalent. LEDs trade a high-current semiconductor junction for a white-hot filament.
Look at the cooling systems on some LED vehicle headlights. Some have active cooling (fans), and some have pretty unique heat sinks, see: <
http://b.cdnbrm.com/images/products/rell/lights/putco_nite_lux_led_headlight_bulb_conversion_kits_back.jpg

I bought several Phillips 800 lumen bulbs from Home Depot at 2 for $4.95. Been very happy with them. Also bought a couple of the Great Value 800 lumen bulbs at Walmart and they are fine.
--
Mr.E

I went overboard on those Phillips and bought 40 bulbs. Gave 20 to my son. By the time I use them all they'll cost a nickel.
On 10/20/2015 2:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Our local Menards has 60 W for $1.97, part of the cost is borne by the local utility, Com Ed.
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 9:06:42 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Did you mean Con Ed?
Is their motto still "Dig We Must"?
On 10/20/2015 09:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I have a bright idea! We need an ObamaBulb program. Free bulbs for everyone. Send the bill to the taxpayers.
And Obama said, "Let there be light."
Democrat posted for all of us...

My wife went to the senior center years ago and the utility were handing out free CFL's. They gave her one at first. Then they asked her if there was more than one person in the house, she then got 8! Supported by DOE and the local utility.
--
Tekkie

I think what you'll find is that there is an "energy efficiency" surcharge on the bills in your area that is used to pay for those "free" CFLs. Basically a tax on everyone that never goes away.