OT: Walmart facing competition!

Page 4 of 4
George wrote:

Bet he has no clue what "gravitas" means.
Lou

You put that on 'taters

Purty good with biscuits, too.
Joe

Maybe so...How long did you hunt on Wikipedia for that word??? Do you pick one word everyday and try to use it to impress someone or to try to convince everyone that your the smartest person in the room??? Why , I bet your a legend in your own mind even...That said...You gotta admitt the "fascinated one" was more than a little over the top in bashing Walmart which begs one to wonder why??? So I asked...Perhaps , instead it's WMDS (Walmart Derangement Syndrome)..Sorta like BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome)..LOL...The sales figures speak for themselves...Walmart is the ONLY major retailer making money...No rebuttal needed....
benick wrote:

Seems you only know how to respond by issuing personal attacks. For an educational experience look up an "ad hominem attack" and see how you have invalidated any point you are trying to make. Typically if you want to make a counter point you present a rebuttal. Name calling is just school yard behavior.
.That said...You gotta admitt

What does hominy have to do with it?
--
All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain\'t seen nothin\' yet!
Just wait. You\'ll be cryin\' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama

So I guess it's trying to impress everyone , huh?? All while suffering from WMDS....Where did I call anyone names??? I mean , it's not as if I called you an arrogant elitist ass or anything , ya know??? But if the shoe fits , by all means , put it on and wear it with pride...LOL...

:
: :>>> HeyBub wrote: :>>>> "German discount grocer Aldi plans to open at least 75 stores in the :>>>> United States in the coming year, hoping to draw traditional Wal-Mart :>>>> shoppers to even cheaper deals during the economic downturn, The Wall :>>>> Street Journal reported on Tuesday." :>>>> :>>>> Prices will be up to 20% less than Walmart! :>>>> :>>>> With pic of graffiti-covered Aldi store: :>>>> http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090113-16723.html :>>>> :>>>> Original Wall Street Journal article :>>>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123180518793975423.html?mod=googlenews_wsj :>>>> :>>>> :>>> I am always fascinated who people think wally is their buddy. We buy :>>> most of our groceries at a very large family owned store. The prices are :>>> quite competitive and they actually have an in store meat department and :>>> none of the meat is that adulterated walmart crap. They also make good :>>> quality sausage (some also smoked on site) that isn't much different in :>>> price from that Hillshire junk wally sells. :>> :>> Doesn't take much to fascinate ya , huh??? What did you get fired from :>> Walmart or banned for shoplifting?????? :> :> You can't offer anything meaningful or any form of rebuttal so you went :> for the personal attack. That really gives gravitas to you. : :Maybe so...How long did you hunt on Wikipedia for that word??? Do you pick :one word everyday and try to use it to impress someone or to try to convince :everyone that your the smartest person in the room??? Why , I bet your a :legend in your own mind even...That said...You gotta admitt the "fascinated :one" was more than a little over the top in bashing Walmart which begs one :to wonder why??? So I asked...Perhaps , instead it's WMDS (Walmart :Derangement Syndrome)..Sorta like BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome)..LOL...The :sales figures speak for themselves...Walmart is the ONLY major retailer :making money...No rebuttal needed....
They're not only making money, they're improving their profit in this economy.

I'm an occasional Aldi shopper; I appreciate how little I spend there. I don't mind the limited selection (1,300 regular items) as that makes shopping there a quick trip and greatly reduces impulse buying. The canned stuff is perfectly fine for cooking with, like the diced tomatoes, the broth, the beans. Cheese is cheap. I don't buy their frozen crap, though. I bring my own bags or use their boxes, and I usually have enough cash on me for my small total bill.
But closer to my home is a similarly designed local grocery with three locations: limited hours, bags cost $.10 each, carts are available free, credit cards are accepted, and the selection is better with the same pricing. They've got a huge Goya section for the Puerto Rican community and a huge Cento section for the Italian community, and I like all that selection. The beef selection is limited (beef is expensive in general), but the pork and chicken options are almost endless and perfect for the price point. When they opened, the special was pork shoulder butt for $.69 a lb. Plus they carry a few name brands at much lower prices than the local mega-grocery. Produce is very good, unlike at Aldi. This store seems to be trying to tap into the potential Aldi customer base while offering a shopping experience tailored to the local community at far better prices than the local mega-grocery. I go there almost exclusively now and just hit BJ's and the other grocery for stuff this store doesn't have.
HeyBub wrote:

It's a good time for them to expand, with all the empty commercial real estate available. They could start with the 149 empty Mervyn's stores, the Rite Aid stores that are beginning to close, or some of the empty supermarket spaces that companies like Albertson's abandoned and that have been empty for years.

Oh, you mean the mold store?
Back in my less affluent days I tried shopping at Aldi to stretch my dollar. Most of the food I bought there would turn to mold within a day or two. The day I found moldy food in the freezer section, was the last day I bought anything in there.
that is just pure bullshit.
--
All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain\'t seen nothin\' yet!
Just wait. You\'ll be cryin\' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama

Maybe the rest of it was:
    Most of the food I bought there would turn to mold within a     day or two before I got to take it out of the car and into the frig.