OT: Walmart facing competition!

Page 2 of 4

There are two around me Ed. There are super Walmarts all around them. The Aldi's thrive.
They are NOT a full supermarket. Their website even states this and says you should go there first on your regular grocery shopping trip then go to the grocery store. I've been totally satisfied with what I get there. They also offer a 2x quality refund.
They do surprising things to cut costs. Your stuff is run across the checkout scanner and just piled in your cart. When done, you move off to a long wall counter to do your own packing.
No credit cards. Debit and cash.
Don't get nervous the first time you go to get a cart outside and find you have to stick a quarter in to get it released from the bunch. The quarter come out when you return the cart by reconnecting it. You don't find carts laying around the parking lot to be hustled by employees. Oh, and if you unload your cart in the car and start to return it for your quarter, someone who is about to enter the store from the lot may come to you, give you a quarter and take your cart.
Lastly, no Cheerios by brand.

We have alot of aldi here, they are no competition to walmart, you wont find much of anything at aldi. For bulk cheap off name stuff aldi is ok, here what they sell is not usualy what I want. Aldi is to limited in what it offers, Last time I went it was cash only.

Our town has two Aldi's stores now, both within spitting distance of Walmart. Their selection is limited to their own brands mostly, and the quality is as good as the majors. Their retail model is to keep prices low by keeping overhead low, and they have been very successful at that. It costs a quarter to rent the shopping cart, and the upside of that is that you don't find their carts in bad repair or scattered all over town. They have only fairly recently used bar code readers. Before that, they were able to find cashiers who could commit to memory the price everything in the store. Said cashiers could actually check out a customer faster than the reader system. It was amazing to observe. Aldi's is as popular with institutional buyers as Sam's is, and it is not at all unusual to see a $200 cartload head out the door. A high percentage of the clientele may be fixed income folks from my observations of their shoppers. With the economy heading ever downward any expansion they undertake is quite likely to succeed. If you don;t need the frills, why spend the money? Joe
You failed to mention that you get the quarter back when you park the cart.

all over town. They have only fairly recently used bar code readers. Before that, they were able to find cashiers who could commit to memory the price everything in the store. Said cashiers could actually check out a customer faster than the reader system. It was amazing to observe. Aldi's is as popular with institutional buyers as Sam's is, and it is not at all unusual to see a $200 cartload head out the door. A high percentage of the clientele may be fixed income folks from my observations of their shoppers. With the economy heading ever downward any expansion they undertake is quite likely to succeed. If you don;t need the frills, why spend the money?
Joe
Steve Barker wrote:

This is universal in the UK - but it's a one-pound deposit (largest coin in circulation).
They've got clever little chains that lock the carts together. Put in a one-pound coin and the lock opens. When you re-lock the cart back to it's neighbor, you get your coin back.
:Steve Barker wrote: :> You failed to mention that you get the quarter back when you park the :> cart.: :This is universal in the UK - but it's a one-pound deposit (largest coin in :circulation). : :They've got clever little chains that lock the carts together. Put in a :one-pound coin and the lock opens. When you re-lock the cart back to it's :neighbor, you get your coin back.
Clever, but the largest coin in general circulation in the USA is a quarter. I suppose even a quarter is some deterent to cart theft here, which has become a major problem over the last decade or so.

The government has been trying to get us to use the $1 coin and will try again. Perhaps they will conspire with the supermarkets to force us to carry some so we can get carts.
:
:> Clever, but the largest coin in general circulation in the USA is a :> quarter. I suppose even a quarter is some deterent to cart theft here, :> which has become a major problem over the last decade or so.:> : :The government has been trying to get us to use the $1 coin and will try :again. Perhaps they will conspire with the supermarkets to force us to carry :some so we can get carts. : Seems to me there used to be a $0.50 cent coin. What ever happened to that? The one dollar coins are kind of big and heavy, seems to me.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

The half dollars are far larger and heavier than current $1 coins, that is probably why they are no longer current and never had much favor. If you carry your change in your pocket, a couple of those makes your pants sag.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
wrote in message

So, money makes a guys pants sag..kids make a woman's ass sag is the conclusion I get.

It is not u ncommon in Europe to see men with a change purse of sorts. The smallest paper Euro is the E5. I never found it to be unwieldy though once you get used to it. Same with the different sized bills. Makes sorting them in the billfoald simple.
wrote Re Re: OT: Walmart facing competition!:

No surprise there.
On 1/17/2009 11:11 AM snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net spake thus:

No; the problem with the $1 coin is that the genius who designed it made it almost the same size and style (milled edges, etc.) as the quarter. I *hate* those coins.
--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:25:18 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

People always say this, but I don't get the argument. ALL paper money is the same size and shape. That problem is solved by actually looking at your money when you spend it. Same solution applies to coins.

There is a lawsuit by people with sight disabilities for exactly that reason. The Euro coins and bills are different sizes and much easier to tell apart by feel. The smallest Euro bill is the 5 too.
About 40+ years ago I worked as a delivery boy in a grocery store. One of our blind customers kept bills in order by denomination, cut could easily be swindled by anyone. They were a really nice old couple and I'd put the groceries away for them, each item in a special spot so they could tell the corn from the peas.
I hope your eyesight continues to be good so you never have to "get it".
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

yup, I agree with your post. The coins in the UK are roughly the same as the Euro coins and easy to distinguish. I have found the US coins and notes a problem. A dollar bill seems like a waste of time these days and should be a coin, though I appreciate the historical desire to hang on to the bill. The notes in particular puzzled me in that they are so similar. Don't understand the reason for that.
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:27:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Irrelevant to the original point of people not liking the dollar coin. A coin could have braille more easily imprinted on it.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Being the wrong side of 50 myself, my eyes are starting to go south, at least for close work in dim light. And of course there are those range gaps between no glasses, reading glasses, and normal glasses. Like most aspects of middle age, it sneaks up on you. But I have it good compared to my 80-something year old father- essentially blind in one eye due to a botched glaucoma operation, and not much left of the other. Every visit down there, I have to invent some new adaptive technology for him. He is finally starting to realize he should not be driving any more. At least he sticks to quiet streets and off hours for his errands.
-- aem sends...
(a snip)

I'm also the wrong side of 50, just the right side of 60. I'm sorry to hear about your father's problems with Glaucoma. I also suffer from this and have had laser treatment. I hesitate to ask in a way. I might gain from his loss. I would seriously appreciate knowing what the botch was so that I could avoid it.
Many thanks for sharing the information with us.
Clot wrote:

could even be misremembering glaucoma for something else. He has spent 50+ years at a drafting board, and he needed both eyes done. Good thing SOP is to only do one at a time. Anyway, he didn't follow a proper diet until the last decade or so, and thus had mild diabetes as a complicating factor. After the first op actually made that eye worse, he declined to proceed with the second one, and went to a different doc for some other kind of treatment. I only see him in person a couple weeks a year, and he doesn't like to dwell on his medical problems (he hates to worry his kids), so I don't press the issue. A busted hip and other serious medical problems have made the eyes no more than a minor annoyance to him.I fix his computer, catch up the yard chores and household repairs, and just in general try to make whatever time he has left as non-irritating as possible. Last month I made him an all-terrain walker for outdoor use, with plastic 7" lawnmower wheels on all 4 corners. Thank heavens that town still has an old-timey hardware shop with oddball bolts and bushings and such.
His problems, along with some eye problems I had as a kid, have given me what you might call enhanced paranoia about protecting my eyesight.
-- aem sends...