OT: 'wall eyed uncles and yard cousins'

a great piece of prose on the 'ricin' incident- http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-tupelo-arrest-20130428,0,408315.story
I think I understand what he's saying with; xxxxxxxx "Tupelo is a kaleidoscope," said sociologist Mark Franks, who grew up in nearby Booneville. There are true geniuses walking the streets of Tupelo, he said, and incredibly wealthy, generous people. But also, "every wall-eyed uncle and 'yard cousin' — just referencing the local pejorative — makes it into Tupelo, Miss. It creates a peculiar culture." xxxxxxxx
Is that a sociology term or a Mississippi one?<g>
Any suthrons care to translate?
Jim