OT: Voices from OWS

Page 2 of 2
dgk wrote:

Corporations didn't pass a 35% corporate income tax, second largest in the world. That high tax contributed to the decision to move jobs to a foreign subsidiary where there's a much more friendly tax structure.
Corporations didn't make the rules, and, in my view, it's not fair to criticize corporations for playing by them.
As for them spending all they want on an election because they're chartered in some US state, think of it as a way of getting that foreign money back into the US economy. After all, an "Elect Dudley Dooright" commercial doesn't work too well on Ukranian television.

There were so many things that have driven corporations to move jobs that the corporate income tax would rank as one of the lowest. Just consider that for the cost of a minimum wage employee in the US with little more than basic benefits a corporation can hire two experienced engineers or systems people in India or China. And it's not a slave wage to them, they are making a wage that is the equilivent in standard of living to a middle class person in the states. This will change over time as it has changed with Japan but in the mean time, the corporations benefit by being able to produce and sell products in a very competitive market while at the same time creating new markets for their products.

And if you penalize them, they will either leave or be put out of business by others.

GREAT POINT! I like it.

As you mention in your opening statement, apparently without a clue as to what it ment, most large corporations are multinational in scope. They are not trying to screw America by being interested in their bottom line, they are trying to survive in a world full of competition. They can either move the jobs where they can obtain the best return on every dollar spent in production or see their corportion pushed aside by others who will. They can also take the long term view that by moving jobs overseas and to other developing countries they are in fact producing consumers that will buy their products in the future. The time when any company can ignore 6.5 billion people for the 300 million (buy at the cheapest price) US consumers has long since past. What WE, the American public must do is realize that in order to survive in a global economy we must start to find a world market for what we have to offer and we must learn to compete in that world market...or...get a job at McDonalds.
It was apparent that the public wanted change when they elected Obama, the only real problem is they don't know what change is and don't seem to recognize that the change is already here and they must learn to adapt to it or get left behind.

Not when the situation is that the TWO biggest liars get even more money and the small players continue to be left in the lurch with their message downed out by the big money guys. They ONLY people who are going to get the big money are people who support the interests of that big money. Any candidate who truly wants to be a representative of the "common man" is left standing at the gate because if you represent the common man none of the people who can give you big money are going to do so, it's not in their interests. As long as the system revolves around BIG MONEY we are going to keep getting shit for representatives.
To go back to your

We aren't really getting "more" speech in any meaningful way, we are just getting the same old crap in larger quantities. To get MORE speech in terms of viewpoints we need to get big money OUT of the picture so there is a playing feed dominated by competing ideas, not a playing field dominated by just those people who can contribute big money on either side.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Without money the IS no playing field.
What would you have, volunteers drawing yard signs with poster board and crayons? If so, did the crayons appear by magic? Are volunteers to stuff hand-written missives in the daily paper before it's delivered? Do legions of volunteers call in to radio talk programs as a substitute for a paid commercial? Are you going to have a crew to "tag" your candidate's name on a bus or taxi because you can't afford the traveling sign? And how do you propose to remind 75,000 of your identified voters to go to the polls on election day? By clairvoyance? (Imagine what it costs to install 1,000 telephone lines.)
One 30-second TV commercial in an urban market can reach 100,000 people. It would take 10,000 people to do that and there probably aren't 10,000 highly-motivated supporters willing to make ten telephone calls in that same city.
Unless you've worked at a fairly high-level in a political campaign or run for political office (I have), you probably have no conception of the logistics and expenses involved.