OT Virus Protection

Page 4 of 5
wrote in

Sorry Peter, I was reading too fast, and not letting my brain catch up. Ask my boss and coworkers how often I do that (don't ask my wife).
That was an attempt at humor. I will consider re-doing what it says at http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm
--
Best regards
Han

Almost all ISPs offer virus protection. Log on to your ISP and download one free.
On Fri, 01 May 2009 23:33:15 -0400, Lotus wrote:

None
Happily using Linux for many years. Quite happy with how much faster the system works without the overhead of an anti-virus app running in the background.

AVG works pretty well. I ran it for quite a few years. I recently switched to avast! which I like a little more.
I also run the Ashampoo firewall.
I do not like the Norton or McAfee products at all and I see no reason to spend money on AV products when there are several excellent freeware programs to choose from.
On Sat, 02 May 2009 19:18:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

I use avgfree, and they changed it so that I was to choose a 2 hour period during which it would upgrade the definitions. I did that and all was fine until my schedule changed and I was never on the computer during those two hours. I had assumed it would do it when I logged on if the computer was off during the scheduled time, but it didn't.
I changed the time period and all was well.
I tried free AVG but found that it slowed down my system. Free Avast has a small footprint, does not affect speed of my system and has caught several viruses before they got into the system.
I also use Acronis True Image once a month. If my computer gets infected. or something else goes wrong with the OS, I just restore the previous image and my troubles are over. Would not live without it.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Absolute worst "stay away from them" av program is CA (Computer Associates)! Everything seemed ok until time for renewal and I received constant nagging reminders. I notified them I would not renew and the next day (last day before subscription ended) I got a nasty virus that presented a countdown clock that shut my computer down 20 seconds after bootup. After fighting the virus for days without sucess I had to reformat the hard drive. (Hard to troubleshoot a problem in 20 seconds) There is no doubt in my mind that they purposely induced the virus in retaliation for not renewing, especially since their av program was still in service for one last day. KC

Freeware Comodo.
I used the AVG free version, was happy, then bought the AVG commercial version.
re apparent speed;
My DELL computer came with WINDOWS XP. Each download upgrade from Microsoft causes my system to run slower and slower.
???
( yeah... I've cleaned the registry, scanned for widgets, etc )

Give it a 3 finger salute and see what is running. You can probably eliminate about 3/4 of what is there if you have collected all the tool bars, quick launch boxes and other crap installers default to loading. A quick way to kill most of this is MSCONFIG Once I know I really don't want it, I go kill it in the registry "run" box (a few possible locations).
On Tue, 05 May 2009 23:54:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

A comment about MSCONFIG
"Do not use "msconfig" to disable services, type "services.msc" in the Run box instead!"
Why?
"Why can't I use msconfig to change my services? The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console (services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is disabling the service.
The "Disable All" button also scares me. It should not even be there as no reason exists to justify disabling "everything."
Not "allowing" people to use msconfig reduces the flames and technical support questions in my inbox "
http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm

If your system is broke you can always "enable all".
I suppose you never let your people use regedit ;-)
On Wed, 06 May 2009 14:38:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It is regedt32.exe I worry about (G)
<RJ> wrote:

Unless you have something running in background, sounds like you have been zombied. If you can't find it, time to spool off your data, nuke and reload. There is a lot of crap on this machine, and it rarely gets over 20%.
Did you ever have AOL on your machine? Even if you 'deinstall' it, it leaves a ton of crap behind, and slows even a fast PC to a crawl.
-- aem sends...

If you ever loaded 9 that is certainly true. I am still running 7 and it is not really that bad. I still went into the registry and blew away some of the AOL crap. You should be able to run without much more than WAOL.EXE when you are actually running AOL. If you ever loaded a full boat load of 9 you got McAfee and a bunch of other things that never really go away unless you go blow them away. That is worse than the viruses it is supposed to prevent
<RJ> wrote:

1. ALL registry cleaners are snake-oil. They will NEVER improve performance. They will, however, substantially risk incapacitating your machine.
2. Book up in Safe Mode with networking. Is your machine still sluggish? If so, then something else is being loaded at boot time that's the culprit.
3. Download "Process Explorer" from
www.sysinternals.com
and discover exactly what is taking up so much CPU time. It could be something as simple as XP's indexing service (turn it off) or as malovelent as a trojan sending out 100,000 penis enlargement emails.
I've got Free Window Registry Repair from www.download.com and very pleased with it. I can tell a difference in operating speed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You are probably experiencing the "Placebo Effect." Microsoft provides a "registry cleaner" but analysis shows that the one provided by Microsoft doesn't really DO anything other than compact some space. It's use, however, has made millions of people feel better, so I guess that's a benefit...
Many people think that removing detritus from the registry will improve performance. It won't - the registry is not searched sequentially. Whether the registry is 100K or 50MB, is functionally irrelevant.
At least once a week some poor soul ventures in to the microsoft.xp newsgroup with a plaintive plea for assistance in recovering from a registry cleaner that mashed his registry into an unrecognizable and unusable lump.
Usually there's nothing for it but to give up computing and sell earth-shoes for a living.
You are probably a depressed person with a weak personality. After your boring job, you come home to your computer, and try to depress others with your slightly scholarly writing. The only lasting cure is to join the Mormons.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Surely you're not suggesting that depression is a prerequisite for becoming a Mormon?
As for a boring job, no, I own a software company. We write inventory control software.
As to Mormons, I like them. They are sober, hard-working, intelligent, honest to a fault, and family oriented. The CIA loves to hire them because they have not only upstanding behavior but many already possess foreign language skills from their tenure as missionaries.
Their only quirk, as far as I can tell, is that they think they're Jewish and want all Jews to become Mormons.