OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

None. Thats why i said wrap it in aluminum if you are really worried about it so it makes you feel better.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Wrapping a flash drive (in safe deposit box) in aluminum foil only helps if you put the shiny side out, several layers of chewing gum wrappers can help, but thick foil from a restaurant supply is excellent.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm not sure where this is going, or what that meant. I always used aluminum foil to short out pins, from static electricity. Aluminum foil will shield electrostatic component of EMP, but not the magnetic component. Mostly you need steel, iron, or mumetal for magnetic flux. There's your steel safe.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Thinking a USB flash drive you can't easily short pins. Should be ok to insulate. Wonder if they sell shorting plugs.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

And I do the same thing by downloading torrent files . There are very few artists/albums that aren't available .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Does that unit have onboard storage for your files or do you have to have other storage media for it ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 07:13:24 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote in

How about just store them in a metal box?

Reply to
CRNG

You can buy one that comes with an internal hard drive. I recommend buying the one I linked to instead. All versions will connect to your LAN. They connect wired and/or wireless. Having external storage is more flexible.

The version that comes with it's own hard drive depends on your network connection to transfer files from the computer to the player. All players will read directly off of all shared drives on the network. Since the network connection is slower, if you want storage for the unit, it is best to buy an external hard drive and transfer files to the drive with your USB connection. Having an external drive also gives you the option of transferring files to another computer using USB instead of a network connection.

It comes with two USB ports that will connect with all type USB storage devices.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

The Samsung smart TV we just bought does not really have any internal user storage. The internal storage is just for apps. You do have 3 USB ports and it will take just about any USB drive or memory stick. The network connection is pretty funky and does not act like a normal PC file sharing connection. You can enable sharing in Media player and share the library tho. I found it easier to simply "sneaker net" the files over on an external drive. The Samsung player is not really that user friendly tho. I suppose if you always watch a movie from beginning to end and want to remember your place it is good but if you stop in the middle for some reason, it stays stuck there, resuming from that point and I have not found an easy way to just start a movie over. It also automatically starts the next movie on the drive when the last one is over. There may be some configuration options but I have not seen them.

Reply to
gfretwell

Condition and rarity drive the prices. Most shops won't even take records with visible damage (scratches, excessive dust), or records that were very popular (_Rumors_, for example).

Test pressings, MFSL pressings, certain imports, recalled issues such as Lynyrd Skynyrds _Street Survivors_ or the Beatles _Revolver_ are quite desirable with collectors.

Promo's[*] can be hit-n-miss, depending on the artist/condition (many collectors prefer promos as they often were from the first pressing using a new master disc, thus had better audio quality).

Under a buck a pop for a clean example of a common LP is about right, with the price going up based on rarity and condition.

Those who protected both the disc (ricepaper sleeves) and the cover (plastic sleaves) will get higher valuations.

Certain gatefold covers (e.g. Jethro Tull's _Stand Up_) from the first run have higher value in good condition; although one should check for leafage in the fold :-)

Cutouts generally have less value than the same album without the cutout (a cutout was an album remaindered in a bargain bin, usually a corner of the cover was cut, or had a hole punched).

[*] Stamped "not for sale, promotional use only"
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks Scott for the info. Saved me wasting my time. Gonna trash the lot.

(Time delay in replying, due to a nice trip to Cancun.)

Reply to
Dan Espen