OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

Page 7 of 7
On Saturday, December 20, 2014 7:09:47 PM UTC-7, Tony Hwang wrote:

They are quite adequate. The ION that Radio Shack tells works okay IMO. I have used mine for years and the price has gone down considerably as well. The important thing is to convert from reasonably clean and undamaged LPs. I have done hundreds so far and have about 300 LPs waiting for when I allocate some time.
There are lots of FREE programs around for editing, and nearly all computers today come with burning software.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:02:25 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I clung to my 8 tracks until the last player finally bit the dust in 1999 and I had a Beta machine well into the 80s. After a while I figured out newer technology is sometimes better. Ignorant is clinging to a technology that was obsolete 30 years ago. I imagine you still like tube amps and you can hear the oxygen in your speaker cables.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote "Ignorant is clinging to a technology that was obsolete 30 years ago. "
I used to think like you - thank God I no longer do.

I will mention it again. Have you heard about the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3 groups? You can get very good rips of virtually any older song in seconds instead of spending hours trying to rip them. If you already own the record, you are not even stealing anything. You bought it.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Now you've descended to name calling.
Wrong _and_ nasty. Nice combination.
If I was using a cloud backup, like for example a Google drive, my collection would be indestructible. Unlike any physical collection of CDs or vinyl.
--
Dan Espen

net cop:
I got "nasty" because I'm frustrated by this notion of discarding a physical collection for files or cloud servers. Even if I did have a remote server, I'd still keep my physical collection.
Common sense.
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 11:49:21 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When you get my age you stop "collecting" and start getting rid of the useless shit you have been lugging around for 40 years. If I can get a 5 drawer filing cabinet worth of records on a thumb drive that fits in my pocket, I will. I wish I knew you a few years ago, I would have sent you 300 albums, CDs and a big stack of cassettes. I think my neighbor still has a hundred or two.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: "I wish I knew you a few years ago, I would have sen t you 300 albums, CDs and a big stack of cassettes. "
That's very kind - and I would have gladly helped out with the shipping, LO L!
And even approaching your age I will likewise start paring down the clutter in my abode - but it will not include a lot of music media. My parents n ever got the chance to take a load off all the Disneyana(plates, figurines, dolls, wind-ups) that filled their house from floor to wall to ceiling, :( We ended up doing a fire sale just to get rid of most of it. Fortunat ely most of my music occupies 6 sq ft of floor space in one room, and a cou ple boxes of vinyl in the cellar.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And I do the same thing by downloading torrent files . There are very few artists/albums that aren't available .
--
Snag

Condition and rarity drive the prices. Most shops won't even take records with visible damage (scratches, excessive dust), or records that were very popular (_Rumors_, for example).
Test pressings, MFSL pressings, certain imports, recalled issues such as Lynyrd Skynyrds _Street Survivors_ or the Beatles _Revolver_ are quite desirable with collectors.
Promo's[*] can be hit-n-miss, depending on the artist/condition (many collectors prefer promos as they often were from the first pressing using a new master disc, thus had better audio quality).
Under a buck a pop for a clean example of a common LP is about right, with the price going up based on rarity and condition.
Those who protected both the disc (ricepaper sleeves) and the cover (plastic sleaves) will get higher valuations.
Certain gatefold covers (e.g. Jethro Tull's _Stand Up_) from the first run have higher value in good condition; although one should check for leafage in the fold :-)
Cutouts generally have less value than the same album without the cutout (a cutout was an album remaindered in a bargain bin, usually a corner of the cover was cut, or had a hole punched).
[*] Stamped "not for sale, promotional use only"
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

Thanks Scott for the info. Saved me wasting my time. Gonna trash the lot.
(Time delay in replying, due to a nice trip to Cancun.)
--
Dan Espen