OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

Page 5 of 7

If you are typing here, you have an MP3 player. I am an old geezer, damned near 70 and I was sold on MP3 by 1999. My players were a;; PCs until fairly recently. Any old PC (75 mz or faster) will play MP3s and it plugs right into whatever amp you have. It started because I wanted a jukebox and I found a PC program that does that for me.
This is the interface for my first MP3 PC.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/judybar.jpg
Once I got started, I never wanted to touch another little bit of plastic again. I can carry thousands of songs on a thumb drive and play them just about anywhere.
And remember: There are very few "mp3 only players" in existence. 90% of all digital players will play mp3, wav, flac, aac(Apple), etc.
So if you have the space on your player(32GB or more), you can store higher quality than mp3 lossy of quite a few tracks.
On 12/19/2014 10:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Have zero interest in carrying stuff around with me...

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:03:08 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Probably older than you.
Dec snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
"On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:03:08 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Probably older than you. "
Figures - bunch of Arpers drawn into the leading edge trends. I'm *only* 45 but tech-wise very conservative. Yes, I rip to digital, but I keep physical versions of evvvvverything! (digital downloads, my CDs, records, you name it.)
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:18:01 -0500, Seymore4Head

You boys don't know about the "alt.binaries.sounds.mp3" groups? If it is on vinyl, it is probably out there in a decade group and you usually even get remastered CD recordings unless it is really an obscure song from the 40s or 50s.. Most of the top 40 was remastered onto a CD sometime along the way and gets posted

It may or may not be beneficial to clean the records with soap & water. I always used a bit of dish detergent and a shaving brush.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yet you want hundreds of vinyl records ... strange. By "carry around" I am talking about going on vacation or playing music in my car. I don't carry a MP3 player around ... or a phone but you can keep thousands of songs in your phone if you do.
The point is, once you embrace the idea of storing your music digitally, you will wonder why you clung to plastic so long. Just be sure you have backups of your backups. If you really need bits of plastic for your security, you can burn a thousand songs on a DVD and it will play on most car players these days.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:
Hard-drives fail. Thumbdrives are succeptible to EMP(look it up!)
CDs & vinyl are immune to these influences.
But you're a futurist, so, I'm just talking to walls here.

Yeah, I like 'em...have collection going back to original swing-era stuff of the folks on 78s as well as what have collected myself. I've digital recordings of the same albums in some cases and as noted above, I really do think the vinyl has a more pleasing sound when I'm actually listening.
Ever heard the DePaur Infantry Chorus?
If it's just background noise for trips, etc., then whatever is on is ok or likely I'll rather listen to a sporting event or even (gasp!) nothing. Watching the scenery and commenting thereupon is sufficient entertainment for me for most all the time if driving...after 16 hour days in fields seeing only from one end of a mile row to the other, it doesn't take much variation to be adequate. :)

See above; it's not security, it's lack of interest in the portability as being of any value to me and that I like the actual vinyl sound far better if/when I am listening...
But, that's me...
Meanie,
You're almost ready. Get Audacity. Once you've made your recording Use Audacity to deal with the clicks on the recording. It has functions to do that.under "Effects". Time to wash your records. Fill the kitchen sink with sudsy, cool dish water. Avoid getting the record labels wet and wash the records, gently. I like DadiO's suggestion of a shaving brush. I use an old dust removal brush for phono records. Once the records are washed fill the sink with clean, cool water and rinse. Use the brush again. Rinse again. Now arrange some way to let them air dry while standing on edge. I put newspaper near a wall and lean the records against the wall. Stay away from heating vents. Do not trust the dog or cat. Let them dry for a day. Play the record. Don't be surprised if a lot of crap builds up on the stylus. Clean the stylus with the stylus brush that I forgot to mention. $5-10 and you will need this. Once you've cleaned the glop out of the record's tracks let the record dry for another day. Ta Da, you are ready to record to the computer.
Dave M.
Per dpb:

When I was carrying a Palm Pilot, a cell phone, and an MP3 player I wasn't exactly in love with a pocket full of 3 devices.
But now all 3 functions have merged into a single device that I would be carrying anyway: cell phone.
I've heard people who sound like they know say that within 5 years somebody without an internet-connected cell phone will be among the disadvantaged - in terms of both social relationships and employment opportunities.
--
Pete Cresswell

Peter Cresswell:
Want a job? Get an address, a bus or car, print out a resume, and walk in the front door.
On 12/20/2014 9:36 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

The cell phone stays where I know where it is--on the buffet in the dining room unless I specifically want it with me--which is rarely except if leaving town. And, it's not 'net enabled (altho it would be nice on the rare occasion if it did have the camera but I'll wait until the batteries on this one finally fail before bothering to upgrade as it just isn't that important to me).
I spent nearly 40 yr on call/needing to be in constant availability and I'll be d---d if I'm going to continue that after having retired from the consulting gig. There's _nothing_ that important that I've got to know about it _now_...
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 07:38:30 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That is why I said backup your backup. Maybe even send it to a cloud service. I have all of my music on every PC I own so it would take quite a disaster to lose them all and that would probably take out any plastic media I have too. I could toss a couple thumb drives in my safe deposit box if I was that worried but that is not likely with your records.
If you want to keep your vinyl as another backup, great but the more you handle them, the better chance you damage them.
You can play, copy or save digital data forever without it changing.
Yes thumbdrive in the band saftey deposit box is a VERY GoOd idea.. Wrap it in aluminum foil if you are really worried about EMP, All your pics and music and important docs should be backed up OFF SITE.
Mark

How much EMP will make it into a safe deposit tin, inside a metal bank safe? You think a wrap of tinfoil will add much protection, in addition to the 430,239,438,343 tons of rebar and hard plate?
None. Thats why i said wrap it in aluminum if you are really worried about it so it makes you feel better.
Mark

Wrapping a flash drive (in safe deposit box) in aluminum foil only helps if you put the shiny side out, several layers of chewing gum wrappers can help, but thick foil from a restaurant supply is excellent.

I'm not sure where this is going, or what that meant. I always used aluminum foil to short out pins, from static electricity. Aluminum foil will shield electrostatic component of EMP, but not the magnetic component. Mostly you need steel, iron, or mumetal for magnetic flux. There's your steel safe.
Greg