OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

Page 3 of 7
| Still can't bring myself to pitch the albums, but | I probably will.
These days they're like antiques. Some of them can fetch a good price.
I saved this info for when I have time for doing this. This is not from me but just info I had collected.
If you want to do it right, I can suggest a decent setup.
Get a good Technics turntable. The SL-1200 series is a good unit and easy to find. You can usually get one at a pawn shop for around $150. It is almost impossible to destroy one. DJs beat them up and they just keep going. The RCA cables are prone to failure if the table has been used by a DJ. If you are good at soldering, they are not too bad to replace.
A good cartridge to start would be a Shure M44-7 for 45s and mono LPs. Get a N44E stylus, that would be good for the stereo LPs.
For a good preamp/USB interface, the ART V2 USB Phono Plus performs well. About $70 from amazon. Your computer will see the interface as an additional sound card.
Total Recorder from HighCriteria is a great program for recording.
If you want to do it wrong, then buy a USB turntable. You'll get what you pay for...
--
Fake email in case you were wondering. So much spam. Real woodart AT
email-com I am sure you can convert that.
On 12/18/2014 8:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@handyman.com wrote:

original cartridge/stylus (I think) which is an Audio Technica DR400E. I'm sure I'd benefit from a new one so I'll consider your advice. Though, correct me.....the cartridge is one component and the stylus is another? I Google searched M44-7 and photos display a cartridge and stylus. Just want to make sure.
Thanks
Dan Espen wrote:

Don't EVER pitch the original vinyl !!! There is a "warmth" to vinyl that digital recordings will NEVER equal . One thing I wish for is the space to set up my component stereo system again . Probaly ain't gonna happen until I can no longer appreciate the sound , but a guy can hope ... damn , I'm gonna need some speakers , I gave my best set to the oldest son years ago for his stereo system . Not to worry , I have a wife that loves me and wants me to be happy .
--
Snag
That love knife has two edges ... and that is as it should be .
On 12/18/2014 9:27 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@handyman.com wrote:

Ya reckon a JVC JLB31 direct drive tt will work ? I'll have to look when I get my stuff up here to see if I have a pre-out on my main tuner/amp ... this tt tracks at less than a gram . When I bought this unit in the late 70's it was state of the art , and my wife was PISSED because I spent over 300 bucks for it . AFAIK the only better tt's were the linear tracking units , and they were way ouf of my reach .
--
Snag
Just DL'ed Audacity ...

Whatever you use, it has to work right. Older electronics can deteriorate. The cartridge and tracking is essential. I got bunches of stuff with belts, and they will go bad. The good, direct drive has no belts. Sometime you can get ground loops into the computer causing hum. Some of these USB interfaces may have isolation to prevent hum.
Point is, I got tons of equipment laying around. Some not used for years. I got to get out the stuff and listen with good speakers or headphone to make sure everything sounds right, before I would attempt transferring. The arm on the turntable can get sticky.
The best turntables are usually belt driven. if I were transferring, I would use a record clamp. I sold my old Thorens turntable many years ago for about $300. The SME arm was darn near $300 used. still got a dual, ar, and pioneer laying around, which I know would require work to get them going right.
Greg

Darn pretty setup, with SME and record clamp like this..
http://vinylnirvana.com/wp-content/uploads/0099.jpg
Greg

What is FLAC? Or is that a Linux thing? I've saved stuff to .WAV format to preserve the quality, but that eats up a lot of drive space.
These days the disk jockeys and even these "Internet Jukeboxes" play MP3, and the sound is good. I know MP3 can be saved at different resolutions. Does anyone know what they use for these commercial apps?
Personally, I still think a vinyl record has the BEST sound quality. Better than tape, or CD. But digitized music is just that, whereas vinyl is the actual RAW sound as it was played. Tape is also RAW, but casettes never could capture the full audio spectrum, whereas the old reel to reel had advantages due to faster speeds, which is why they used them to make original recordings in studios. I may be wrong, but I believe all modern studios record in digital format.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote: "Personally, I still think a vinyl record ha s the BEST sound quality. Better than tape, or CD. But digitized "
The difference you are hearing is likely the mastering(the final step of pr oduction, after the sessions and the mixing). CD/digital can tolerate much hotter & more dynamic range compressed levels than can LP. This in part h as spawned a resurgence in vinyl sales the last 5 years.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

FLAC is also known as "LOSSLESS" audio recording . .. About twice the storage space as MP3 and my old ears can't tell the differnce . It's for most OS'es . Runs in Windows , havwn't tried it in Ubuntu yet bnut I'm sure it's just MOTS .
--
Snag
Drunk , I'd either quit posting or quit posting ...
On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:06:21 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Disk space is so cheap these days that WAV is not that bad. I use MP3 at 320kbs and they sound as good as the playback equipment and room acoustics can support. I think that if you record in WAV it will be as good as the vinyl. If you want to try MP3 or FLAC, rip it from your WAV and compare them all. (vinyl vs MP3, FLAC and the WAV) on the same equipment.
I think a lot of this "quality" stuff is just something people read and repeat. Test it yourself and see.

she'll really care about the format difference. She'll be elated just to be able to hear them on her iPod.

My treatise on that subject is no longer available for download but the original version is available online at... http://www.shareup.com/dadioh/
Note that it was written 12 years ago and some/much of the software mentioned may no longer be available. However, the general procedure remains unchanged.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Meanie wrote:

Five , but you don't want any of them . I got the only good one .
--
Snag

On 12/19/2014 8:22 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Story of my life.

In a nutshell...
1. Hook turntable to preamp (a stereo is fine).
2. Hook pre-amp line out to computer line in
3. Play & record the vinyl.
At a minimum, you will spend one hour for each hour of music. If you want to do a good job, you will spend a minimum of 3-5 hours per hour of music.
4. For recording, Audacity is fine. I like the interface of Audiograbber better. http://www.audiograbber.org/
5. You may need to adjust the in volume so that the recording is not clipped http://www.shareup.com/dadioh/clipping.html
6. Record to wave format. It is highly probable that your recording will have unpleasant noise from scratches etc. in the vinyl. To remove them - to clean up the recording - you need to work on wave files; recording in that format means they do not need to be decompressed for cleaning.
7. Clean the recording. Any wave editor such as Goldwave or Audacity will serve. There are also specialized programs intended for that purpose. One of the best - but not easiest - is WaveRepair. http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/
8. It is easiest to record an entire vinyl side, clean it and then split into tracks. The easiest splitter I know of is CDWave. http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body wave.php
9. Encode the wave files to MP3. For your purpose, a bit rate of 128 or 160 would be entirely satisfactory. Those rates will give you around a 9-11X compression ratio and entirely listenable music. Use the LAME encoder; there are stand alone versions (cdEX, for example) or plugins such as the one offered at the Audiograbber site.
10. You may want to tweak the MP3s so that they have similar volumes. Here are two programs that are handy for that, MPTrim and MP3Gain. http://www.mptrim.com/ http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
11. If you want for your mother to be able to look at her player and tell who is playing what (if the player supports that function), you will need to write tags to the file. There are two versions of MP3 tags...ID3v1 and ID3v2. The latter allows for more fields and extensive info but are not recognized by all hardware. For your purpose, ID3v1 should be ample. Mp3Tag is a versatile tagger. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
For more info, see my dandies... http://www.shareup.com/dadioh/
--

dadiOH

Thank you much.