OT: Vintage License Plate records

Totally OT but there are a few smart people here.

I am trying to get information from a vintage 1959 photo.

I have no info about the people, but the car has a very clear license plate number from Wisconsin 1959

Though there is a reverse look-up service ...the on-line version from my Wisconsin does not do anything but recent.

Any ideas what I should try?

Reply to
philo

FOIA request to the state?

Reply to
Don Y

I'm thinking maybe I should just let it be a mystery...

some really great old photos though

Reply to
philo

What was the point of trying to get the info in the first place. Just curious...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Call the main public library in Milwaukee or Madison, or the DMV in Madison. But I think it's not likely they'll have it. There were city directories in some cities then that listed people by address, but I don't think anything listed people by license plate.

That leaves the DMV. Maybe if you pay them they'll go in the basement and look up the info. When I called the Cleveland Clinic, where my father died, I told them it was 1955 and they told me I could get his records if I filed the request, a death certificate, and a form showing I was his son. I forget how much it was going to cost.

I don't know how much information they would really be able to give me. Maybe just one page with the day he entered and the day he left. I might still do it but the desire waned. (He and two men he knew from the same small city 100 miles from Cleveland, within the span of two years, all had heart problems, all went to the Clinic, all were doing remarkably better, and all died suddenly. They obviously had some innovative treatment, and I was hoping to find out what it was and if they ever got it right, and if my father played even a small role in that. They probably weren't the only three. But even if the records are faily complete, I think I'd have trouble deducing what happened next with regard to research. Unless the doctor's name is there and he was famous or later successful. )

Reply to
Micky

he state?

I found an old box of photographic slides near the trash cans in my alley a number of years ago and am now going through them and many are quite interesting. My thoughts were that I should try to contact the person .

Since they were discarded he is probably dead now or since they were trash...obviously not important.

Reply to
philo

Years ago I go to the library and look up family history in those city directories.

Much to my surprise I found out that my great-grandfather had been married several times.

I am sure there are records somewhere but I probably am not going to bother. ...but who knows?

Reply to
philo

On 01/19/2016 3:00 PM, philo wrote: ...

Well, sometimes the originator thinks they're of no further interest but there are still family descendants who, if they knew of their existence or more directly that they were being destroyed might well appreciate having them...I was very disappointed to find folks had disposed of a great deal of "stuff" from grandparents' house when they were redoing it w/o being made aware of it. I'd at least like to have had the opportunity and there are a couple of particular items I definitely would have saved.

Alternatively, if you cannot find the original identity or family, many local historical societies, museums, etc., are interested also in at least seeing collections before they're destroyed. They're of less value if undocumented for these purposes, but I'd suggest at least contacting the local County Historical Society first; who knows, somebody there may recognize the family directly. That presumes that they are local, of course...if you're in AZ, WI folk aren't so likely to be known. :)

Reply to
dpb

They are from a community near Milwaukee (which is where I'm from) so I think there would be local interest.

I will probably show them to the art dealer in town who handles my wife's' art and my photography.

Reply to
philo

There used to be little advertising booklets here in Nebraska. The booklets would have people's names and license plate numbers. They might've had phone numbers and address too but I can't remember. They might've been called county directories.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman