OT: Venus Transiting Sun

Venus is transiting the Sun tomorrow, 6/5, at around 6:00 p.m. EDT. The next such transit is expected on December 11, 2117. Details and viewing instructions at:
http://www.transitofvenus.org /
Pavel314 wrote the following on 6/4/2012 11:23 AM (ET):

such transit is expected on December 11, 2117. Details and viewing instructions at:

I'm going to watch it with binoculars to make sure I see it all.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I hope you're up on your touch-typing.
and Good luck learning Braille.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote the following on 6/5/2012 9:13 AM (ET):

Swoosh!!!! :-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I'm getting shadows across my kitchen window from it.

I'm busy on the 5th, but I put it on my calendar for 2117. Luckily my calendar is clear on that day.
Thanks.
On 6/4/2012 3:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

such transit is expected on December 11, 2117. Details and viewing instructions at:

Me too. Also figure my cataracts will be bad enough by then so I can view it without eye damage.
The ground should be all the filter we'll need.
Oh, dear! That throws my horoscope all wrong. I'll have to stay home, and stay in bed. I hate it when that happens.
Pavel314 wrote:

such transit is expected on December 11, 2117. Details and viewing instructions at:

It should have started by now, but I don't think I see it -- unless it's at the very *top* of the sun, but I'm not sure I see anything there. I'm using #13 welding filter, which is marginal. I'm gonna try stacking a #10 and a #5 to get a darker image that might be sharper.
Bob
On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:35:10 PM UTC-4, zxcvbob wrote:

such transit is expected on December 11, 2117. Details and viewing instructions at:

At the start it was near the edge of the Sun, at the top about halfway between the 12:00 and 1:00 positions.
I just uncapped one side of my binocular and used it as a projector! Taped a piece of paper on a wall and got about a 5" diameter sun with some spots and venus on it.
Try Simple Green and a nylon scrubby to get the venus off.
I just uncapped one side of my binocular and used it as a projector! Taped a piece of paper on a wall and got about a 5" diameter sun with some spots and venus on it.
On Jun 7, 6:44am, snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote:

I tried that method and *thought* I saw Venus, but it turned out to be a spot on my lens. Seriously.
I knew that the shadow should have been at the top of the project sun image, but I had very visible spot at the bottom.
When I switched lenses, the spot was gone. By that time the sun was dipping behind some trees and I no longer had a clear view.
While I was disapointed that I missed Venus, it was still cool to see the shadows of the leaves in exquisite detail on the paper.

I tried that method and *thought* I saw Venus, but it turned out to be a spot on my lens. Seriously.
I knew that the shadow should have been at the top of the project sun image, but I had very visible spot at the bottom.
When I switched lenses, the spot was gone. By that time the sun was dipping behind some trees and I no longer had a clear view.
While I was disapointed that I missed Venus, it was still cool to see the shadows of the leaves in exquisite detail on the paper.
_________________
It was a great sky show and well worth the effort to find ways to see it in my view -- lots of chances to educate the kids and grandkids as well.
Most sky-show spectaculars are at night, of course, and are difficult or impossible to see because of light pollution which mostly comes from unshielded street lighting. I still don't understand why it makes sense to project and pay for light (and energy) directed into the sky when the objective is to light a street surface; but I know we that and our kids miss a lot of that sky spectacular because of the wasteful practice.
Tomsic

Back during mid through late March we were treated to seeing the moon, Jupiter and Venus all huddled together in the western sky, as shown here:
http://wordlesstech.com/2012/03/14/jupiter-and-venus-to-appear-side-by-side-video /
It was a pretty neat sight as the wife and I walked the dogs each night.
On Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:36:28 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Doesn't doing a projection like that reverse the image? Top to bottom and left to right?

I wondered if it might, but based on the position of the leaves (bottom of the sun) and a subsequent test with a spotlight and my finger, it doesn't appear to reverse the image.
As I thought about it later, I don't see how it could.
Let's make believe I'm looking at the image directly through the binoculars. If I saw a spot on the bottom of the sun, it would really be on the bottom since images viewed through binoculars are not upside down.
OK, so now let's put a piece of glass in between my eye and the binoculars. When viewed through the glass, the image would once again be correct.
Now, I should be able to look at the front of the glass (or piece of paper) and see the correct image projected upon it. The image can't be right side up on the back of the glass and upside down on the front.