OT: Vent: Car Repair Charge

Page 2 of 3
HeyBub wrote:

care to pay dealer labor rates and markup for the sake of fast turnover. I'm sure there are competent dealer mechanics, but I've had better luck with independents around here. Not a big deal to me if it sits in his back lot for 2-3 days while parts are tracked down. For elective surgery versus emergencies, I drive in with the patient the week before, so they can know what parts to order.
-- aem sends...

They do NOT attract the best mechanics. They get their mechanics right out of school. What you're paying for when you go to a dealer is the name on the large expensive sign in front of the large gleaming building on the enormous expensive lot of land.
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 16:49:24 -0500, AZ Nomad

Don't know about where you are, but the average dealer mechanic around here has been in the same dealership for 15 or more years.. Average mechanic is about 40.. Some of the BEST mechanics (Dealer -on today's cars), however, are in their early thirties, while the best mechanics, overall, are often approaching retirement (independents)

You're paying for an exhorbitant overhead and sending the mechanics to the manufacturers school constantly and for all the costly equipment, tools and test that a dealer maintains.

they are itemized.
As for the reset codes and test-drive - IF there was a code set they NEED to reset the codes and test drive to be sure there is no other problem with the transmission. The leaky line could have been the only cause of a set code, or there could have been other issues. It has nothing to do with the per hour charge. It could have to do with the flat rate system of charging - where each job is assigned a particular labour charge - or straight time, where you pay for the time spent. They then would have broken it down - so much time to epair the leaky line (or replace it) and so much time to reset the codes and test drive (diagnose).
Generally repairing a leaky line does NOT include time for a diagnostic.
You'd be yelling a lot louder if they did NOT reset the codes and test drive the car, and it failed a few miles down the road.

Which was -part of the repair-.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

But wait! There's more!
Next under shop supplies will be electricity and the grunt using it. Cost of running a shop ya know.

Oh, you mean that *pre-printed* 2.00 EPA / Waste Disposal fee?
I guess they charge you that whether they dispose of anything or not!

DerbyDad03 wrote:

The new business model for the United States. Spread the wealth, spread the debt. Charge everyone for complying with government regs.
TDD

That will happen whether you see it on your invoice or not. Either that or the shop you are patronizing will go out of business soon, either because they aren't complying with regs and eventually will be shut down, or they aren't covering their costs and will go bankrupt.
nate
The Daring Dufas wrote:

The old business model for the United States. Throw the old transmission fluid down the drain and let the next town downstream worry about it.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

for cheap they break stuff out that would have been included in the shop rate.

No, environmental fees tacked on to every hydrocarbon product, aerosol, oil filter, etc now MUST be shown as a separate line item at one stage or other in the sales cycle. In most cases it is when sold to the end user. Depends who is remitting the eco-fee. Also depends on the laws in the particular location you are doing business and varies from province to province and state to state.

Another sufferer of Walmart Derangement Syndrome(WDS) Sorts like the Bush Derangement Syndrome(BDS) in which everything is blamed on it or him...LOL...You should see somebody for that...It will eat you up inside...
I have pretty good luck at the Hyundia Dealership I take my wifes car to..They have been great....9.99 oil change and a gift card for a free car wash just across the street...Both the sale of the car and service including a free alignment cuz the tires were wearing..Not the car , it's the damn cowpaths we drive on here in the 3rd world hellhole known as The Peoples Republic of Maine...Finding an HONEST independent can be just as hard...Luckily I have a friend who has a shop that takes care of my 95 Chevy Silverado work truck....

Tell them you want your old "parts" and to pack their disposal fee.

In many cases now the fee is "upfront" - paid on purchace.
Well if you don't want to pay the charges, order a repair manual from your dealer and do these things yourself.
I did this years ago. Not because of the charges (which I had no problem with), but because I took my car in 3 times and they did not fix it right. So I decided to do this myself.
Took a bit of learning, but getting the manufacturer's repair manual was a BIG help! (Much more detailed than the books they sell in auto parts stores.)
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

This, this, and so much more this.
I really don't like working on cars, but there are some things I'll insist on doing myself rather than let a shop hork it up. And then when I really need a shop I generally take it to the shop that mostly does race-prep and works on street vehicles on the side, and pay through the nose for it.
nate

I've done, and still do, those repairs that I have the skills, ability and *tools* to do.
But I have a question - a real question 'cuz I'm not arguing with you.
If I had gone to the dealer and purchased the repair manual, I'll assume I could have replaced the hoses that had blown out. Maybe I could even have done it without the manual. For what it's worth, it's a 2005 Taurus.
My wife said the tranny started to slip on the way to the store and when she came out there was a huge puddle of tranny fluid in the parking lot, so my questions are these:
Would the manual have allowed me to read/reset the engine codes and determine if any damage had been done to the tranny itself? I don't have a lift or a tranny jack, so could I have done the repair and the tranny service on a pair of jack stands in my driveway? Would I have needed any special tools?
Would the manual have allowed me to read/reset the engine codes and determine if any damage had been done to the tranny itself? I don't have a lift or a tranny jack, so could I have done the repair and the tranny service on a pair of jack stands in my driveway? Would I have needed any special tools?
Not everyone understands mechanical diagrams and workings. If you do, great, but many rely on reputable mechanics. Fortunately, I do know many of the workings, but often choose to pay someone to crawl under the car. OTOH, the shop manual has saved me some bucks. Years ago, I took a car into the dealer to have the cruise control repaired. Paid $400 and was on my way but turns out, it was not repaired. Went home and looked at a shop manual. Next day, I went back and complained. They wanted to charge me an additional bunch of bucks for the new repair. I flipped the bill over, took my pen and drew a diagram of how the cruise control worked and why their first "repair" was useless and wrong. They fixed it and did not charge anything additional.
Rarely will I go to a dealer for anything as they tend to charge more than a good independent shop. The trouble is, finding a very good shop is difficult.