OT: Vent: Car Repair Charge

Page 1 of 3
Just venting...
My wife took her car to a tranny shop to get a leaky hose repaired.
As expected, the bill had the standard line item charges for parts and labor.
However, there was an additional line on the bill:
Reset Codes & Test Drive Vehicle - $45
Seems to me that all they are doing is keeping their per hour labor charge artifically low by charging extra for something they would do as part of the repair any way.
on 6/26/2009 9:10 AM (ET) DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

Did they also charge for the disposal of the old fluid? Mine did.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I agree.

and don't forget "shop supplies".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Shop Supplies is listed as a pre-printed line item, but there was no charge in this case. Maybe they used old rags or something. <g>

Shop Supplies is listed as a pre-printed line item, but there was no charge in this case. Maybe they used old rags or something. <g>
Last time my dealer had t hat charge, it was his last charge. IMO, that is a cost of doing business but they had an automatic 2% line item for it. When my bill used no supplies, it was there and I complained. In the end, I bought my next car elsewhere. GM (and their dealer) just pissed me off too much.
wrote in message

I called my Ford dealer about my Explorer, several years ago. I told the service rep that I needed a power steering pump because the old one was leaking and I needed a radiator fan because it was developing cracks where the blades met the hub.
When I got there at the appointed time, they had neither part on hand and I had to cool my heels while that got hold of them. If that wasn't bad enough,when I got the bill there was a $45 item for diagnosis. I interrupted the rep while he was with another customer and asked about as loudly as I could "What is that for? I told you what the problem was."
They took it off the bill and I have never been back.
Charlie

It takes 15 minutes. The section in the shop manual is one paragraph. $280 to $600/hr is robbery. The tool is part of their diagnostic equipment. If they perform tuneups then they've already recouped the cost a hundred times.

I have 2 keys, but only one that still works.
This isn't an isolated ripoff. I had a jeep missing the handle for the jack. That $3 piece of metal was $35 at the dealer. I replaced the whole jack with a hydraulic bottle jack for half that.
Just about everything dealers do are at least five times overpriced, from $400 tuneups (plugs, an air filter, fluid check and little else), to $80 oil changes ($4 worth of oil, a $3 filter, and ten minutes labor)

And probably $3 at a junkyard. Why would you even think about going to the dealer for that?

My time has some value. I'm not going to drive all over town looking for a compatible jack handle when I can drive 1/2 mile past the dealer to a car parts store and buy a bottle jack. It just isn't worth $200 of my time to acquire a part missing on a mechanical jack, especially when a complete hydraulic jack can be had for $20.
If the dealer had wanted $20 instead of $35 for the jack handle I still would have let him keep his precious hunk of metal. If they want it so bad, they can keep it. When they day comes when the dealer's holdings are sold at auction, I doubt they are is going to get 50 cents for that hunk of metal.
Doug Miller wrote:

Rueful chuckle. Around here, I have to go 40-some miles to find a yard that carries anything newer than late 90's. Apparently none of the local yards are big enough to have the front money to outbid the big yards one town over, with the insurance companies, or to buy wrecks at the auctions. They only have stuff the fancy yards don't want, or old crap locals sell to them directly. Probably wouldn't matter too much for a jack handle, but a definite PITA for other items. Small stuff ain't on their web sites, so you gotta go look, and most are open limited Saturday hours if at all.
Not at all like back home, with 2 large yards ten minutes in opposite directions from where I lived. -- aem sends...
on 6/26/2009 10:30 PM (ET) AZ Nomad wrote the following:

I went to the Nissan dealer parts dept. to buy 3 belts for my 97 PU 2.4 l.engine The guy said they only had one in stock and that one was $35. I left without it and bought the 3 Japanese made belts at AutoZone for $36.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Then you are going to the wrong dealers.

Yeah. The authorized dealers.
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:33:19 -0500, AZ Nomad

There ARE good ones.

They are the only ones and know that they can rip off the customer with impunity as their customers are afraid to go anywhere else.

<snip>
I guess you've never patronized a licensed plumber or electrician or a doctor or a hospital, etc.........

Doctors - no guarantee, and they bury their mistakes.
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:29:26 -0500, AZ Nomad

That's a load of bull. There are enough DEALERS around in most places that the bad ones get a bad name and everyone knows where the good ones are. If that fails, the good independents are busy and you can shoot a cannon through the bad dealer service departments and be in no danger of hitting anything.
Quite a few dealers NEVER see a car after it's off warranty (the bad ones). Some keep seing the vehicles for years after (the good ones)
wrote in message

They are not going to order parts until you've signed their service agreement.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

A part they don't have costs them virtually nothing. Dealerships love to trade parts. It usually works like this:
Dealer A gets a part from Dealer B's parts room. Both report the transaction to GMPD (General Motors Parts Distribution). GMPD credits Dealer B for the part, plus some small percent profit. GMPD sends a bill to Dealer A for the GMPD price for the part.
In other words, GMPD pays Dealer B to be an ancillary warehouse.
In a large city, much of the traffic on the roads is made up of dealership drivers moving parts around.
Parts move on overnight greyhound busses from a dealership in one town to a dealership in another.
There are over 400,000 individual parts in the GMPD catalog - nobody can stock them all. The largest GM dealership in my town (which has about twenty dealerships) has about 80,000 parts.
Hint: If you need work on your car, take it to the dealership with the largest parts room. This dealership attracts the best mechanics who want to fix your car as quickly as they can, roll it out, and get another patient. Mechanics don't like to cool their heels waiting for the driver to arrive with a needed part because it cuts into their commission.