OT, USS Enterprise Retired

USS Enterprise has been retired after 51 years of active service. A long career for an amazing boat. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Unless it trips and falls.....

Reply to
trader4

Yup, but submarines are "boats". Go figure.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Strictly speaking, a ship is a large boat.

Reply to
gonjah

Yup, pig boats.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Oren wrote in news:hvenb895uohtlk0o6dj53qddnbjmbm02d2@

4ax.com:

A ship is what has lifeboats.

Reply to
Han

No.

A boat is something that can go onto the deck of a ship.

The Royal Navy defines a ship as having two decks below the waterline.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was hoping to not have to do this:

gonjah

When I was in the Coast Guard, it was explained to me like this:

If it's small enough to be carried on a ship, it's a boat.

That definition is even used by the Navy, but it is also defined differently by the same service.

The following was stolen without permission from:

*** Begin Stolen Text ***

According to NAVEDTRA 14325, page AI-2, a boat is "A small craft capable of being carried aboard a ship." But hold on, in true navy fashion the same manual gives a different definition on page 7-5, where it says, "The term boat refers to a non-commissioned waterborne vessel that is not designated as a service craft.? And then on page AI-11: A ship is "Any large vessel capable of extended independent operation."

*** End Stolen Text ***
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Subs get called boats but are so large that they're unlikely to carried by something else. One of my favorite pictures is thr USS Cole being carried on the back of that Norwegian oil rig transport. So, all destroyers and smaller are now just boats.

Fake ID

Cruise ships routinely use their lifeboats when passengers are tendered ashore. I should be doing exactly that this time next week (grin)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

That picture is included in the document that I linked to...

DerbyDad03

Pretty much gets down to "I know one when I see one." Or, "I'll call it whatever the Chief says to call it." Shortly after I came aboard my ship I wanted to see the chain locker, which I knew was in the forecastle. I asked a boatswain mate "Where's the ladder to the forecastle?" He said "huh?" and I had to repeat it twice. Then he said, "You mean the foc'sle?" I never said forecastle again. And he was a bosun's mate, not a "boatswain." Obama got in trouble with "corpsman." Now let's say you're assigning 3 equi-distant positions to crew on a

100' tugboat. You tell one man to go forward or to the bow, one to go aft or to the stern. Where do you tell the 3rd man to go? I know what I would say, and I would expect a tugboat crew to understand. Can't be sure though, since I was never on a tugboat.
Reply to
Vic Smith

so whats enterprises future? get defuled band cut up for scrap?

in russia thats what they do to their largest nuke subs.....

the reactor portion gets towed floating away for permanent storage....

or will enterprise just be stored for possible future use?

Reply to
bob haller

Amidships, where they pile up all the midshipmen from the USNA?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Close enough. I would say "go midship." But shouldn't it be "midboat?" It's a boat. hehe.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I thought it was a spaceship.

Reply to
Smitty Two

e quoted text -

Well, since you used the words, "Go forward" and "Go aft" why not just tell him/her to go to the middle? ;-)

Actually, I believe that in nautical terms "midship" means the middle of a vessel, so it works for ships or boats.

Of course, we need to make sure we're talking about a nautical vessel not a container or a night club. ;-)

DerbyDad03

What do I win? (-:

I don't know why huge nuclear subs are called boats, but that's the way it is. The shipyard where I saw a number of them launched is called "The Electric Boat Division" so I guess it's official.

Almost every titanium sub I saw launched has been decommissioned and now they build them out of steel. Too bad, too, because the all titanium hulls were harder for the enemy to spot using magnetic detection techniques. But they were hell on wheels to weld without problems.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

William Shatner was going to attend the retirement ceremony, but had a change of plans.

Reply to
bud--