OT, USS Enterprise Retired

Page 1 of 2
USS Enterprise has been retired after 51 years of active service. A long career for an amazing boat. ^_^
TDD

Unless it trips and falls.....

Yup, but submarines are "boats". Go figure.
On 12/2/2012 4:28 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

Strictly speaking, a ship is a large boat.

No.
A boat is something that can go onto the deck of a ship.
The Royal Navy defines a ship as having two decks below the waterline.
On 12/2/2012 9:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was hoping to not have to do this:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/boat

When I was in the Coast Guard, it was explained to me like this:
If it's small enough to be carried on a ship, it's a boat.
That definition is even used by the Navy, but it is also defined differently by the same service.
The following was stolen without permission from:
http://www.nnapprentice.com/alumni/letter/Apprentice_SHIPS_VS_BOATS.pdf
*** Begin Stolen Text ***
According to NAVEDTRA 14325, page AI-2, a boat is "A small craft capable of being carried aboard a ship." But hold on, in true navy fashion the same manual gives a different definition on page 7-5, where it says, "The term boat refers to a non-commissioned waterborne vessel that is not designated as a service craft.” And then on page AI-11: A ship is "Any large vessel capable of extended independent operation."
*** End Stolen Text ***

Subs get called boats but are so large that they're unlikely to carried by something else. One of my favorite pictures is thr USS Cole being carried on the back of that Norwegian oil rig transport. So, all destroyers and smaller are now just boats.
On Dec 3, 3:32am, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

That picture is included in the document that I linked to...
http://www.nnapprentice.com/alumni/letter/Apprentice_SHIPS_VS_BOATS.pdf
so whats enterprises future? get defuled band cut up for scrap?
in russia thats what they do to their largest nuke subs.....
the reactor portion gets towed floating away for permanent storage....
or will enterprise just be stored for possible future use?
On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 03:52:12 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Pretty much gets down to "I know one when I see one." Or, "I'll call it whatever the Chief says to call it." Shortly after I came aboard my ship I wanted to see the chain locker, which I knew was in the forecastle. I asked a boatswain mate "Where's the ladder to the forecastle?" He said "huh?" and I had to repeat it twice. Then he said, "You mean the foc'sle?" I never said forecastle again. And he was a bosun's mate, not a "boatswain." Obama got in trouble with "corpsman." Now let's say you're assigning 3 equi-distant positions to crew on a 100' tugboat. You tell one man to go forward or to the bow, one to go aft or to the stern. Where do you tell the 3rd man to go? I know what I would say, and I would expect a tugboat crew to understand. Can't be sure though, since I was never on a tugboat.

Amidships, where they pile up all the midshipmen from the USNA?
-- Bobby G.

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:01:22 -0500, "Robert Green"

Close enough. I would say "go midship." But shouldn't it be "midboat?" It's a boat. hehe.
wrote in message

What do I win? (-:

I don't know why huge nuclear subs are called boats, but that's the way it is. The shipyard where I saw a number of them launched is called "The Electric Boat Division" so I guess it's official.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_Electric_Boat
Almost every titanium sub I saw launched has been decommissioned and now they build them out of steel. Too bad, too, because the all titanium hulls were harder for the enemy to spot using magnetic detection techniques. But they were hell on wheels to weld without problems.
-- Bobby G.

Well, since you used the words, "Go forward" and "Go aft" why not just tell him/her to go to the middle? ;-)
Actually, I believe that in nautical terms "midship" means the middle of a vessel, so it works for ships or boats.
Of course, we need to make sure we're talking about a nautical vessel not a container or a night club. ;-)
http://www.vesselsf.com /

A PT boat, was 55-80 feet long. Kinda big to fit on a ship.
Greg

You'd be amazed at the size of boat carried on some of the big ships.

Consider that a landing craft is in the same range of length (50-100 feet), and are not seagoing, there is no problem with loading and transporting them on bigger ships
Modern shipping containers are about 45' long. And ships have no problems transporting 100s of them at a time.
Zz Yzx wrote:

Yup, pig boats.

A ship is what has lifeboats.
--