OT: Used laptop to view Internet on TV

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:15:13 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

PCs are so cheap that you can usually get on for free if you don't have an old one laying around. Put a PC under your TV and just use it for entertainment (streamed content, music etc) Mine is on the network so I can send pictures from my digital camera to the TV or anything else I have on any of my PCs.. That is the slide show of the 21st century. Once you get a PC connected, you will be amazed what you can do with it. Get a blue tooth mouse and keyboard and you can run the PC from your easy chair, up to 30 feet away. We have already burned through just about all of House of Cards season 2 but there are still a lot of things out there we can watch. Even if you loaded up Amazon, Netflix, Hulu premium and a few other streaming services, it is still cheaper than cable/sattellite. I am just waiting for the other "cable" networks like Discovery and A&E to start streaming services or just having content producers going off on their own.
The big hole seems to be news channels like CNN but you can get 99% of their content from their web site. You just need to watch it like reading a magazine, selecting what you want to watch, instead of turning it on and letting it run, like TV.
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:28:15 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

ht on PC today. Means I have to sit in front of PC.

adget -- what was the name again? -- would enable receiving programs LIVE.

d add up to quite a bit, so I will explore the options suggested that (a) p lug into TV or (b) can direct TV in same room.

I didn't & don't watch the "regular" CNN, but there is an international CNN that has much more interesting stuff.
HB
On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:02:02 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

I just used CNN as a metaphor. All of the news outlets have all of their stuff on their web site, probably all of your local news too.
You are basically just web surfing on your TV but this isn't that 25" NTSC hog the Web TV folks suffered through. A modern flat screen is impressive as a PC monitor. That is why they have a VGA port
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:15:13 PM UTC-5, Higgs Boson wrote:

It's the live programming that's the problem. Whatever device you connect between the internet and TV, it's only going to play in real time whatever you can see on your PC in realtime. It doesn't solve the John Stewart problem you cited. I haven't looked, but I would suspect most of the premium cable content isn't available real time via PC, but you should know if you can watch what you want to watch real time on the PC. If you can then the options posed can work. If you can't then you're hosed.

..)

t on PC today. Means I have to sit in front of PC.

dget -- what was the name again? -- would enable receiving programs LIVE.

I think you're confusing things. The widget that plug into your TV just allows you to see on the TV what you can see now on your PC. So, using your example, if you can't see John Stewart live on your PC, only a day later, then that's how it's going to work with the widget on the TV too. Someone did post a link to what looked like a device that allows you to see the OTA channels live, if they have the service avalailable in your area. But aren't those the channels you said you can already receive for free with an antenna, but you don't like the content? In that case you're just going to pay to watch what you can get for free and don't like.

add up to quite a bit, so I will explore the options suggested that (a) pl ug into TV or (b) can direct TV in same room.

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 06:42:39 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

What is "live TV" Virtually everything on TV is taped and broadcast later anyway. I try not to watch anything in real time. Right now I have CNN on but I am using my DVR to delay it an hour so I can skip the commercials.
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:01:04 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sigh! This is getting hellishly complicated!
1 What I want: The same 10 or 12 (cable) channels I used to watch via Ver izon.
2. I want them OTA. I didn't know, as (one of you) asserts, that "virtuall y everything on TV is taped and broadcast later anyway". Anybody care to weigh in on this assertion? Might be relevant. I just do not know.
3. Quote: "Someone did post a link to what looked like a device that allow s you to see the OTA channels live, if they have the service avalailable in your area. But aren't those the channels you said you can already receive for free with an antenna, but you don't like the content." NO, NO, NO def initely NOT. Nothing to do with that local pink slime.
My understanding from the ads for this "Dongle" device is that it allows o ne to receive ALL OTA channels. Purportedly it serves the same function a s a laptop hooked into HDMI.
4. I would like to watch TV in bed or in my TV chair, not in front of my PC where I spend too damn much time anyway!
HB

You see, there is a "God". SHE made it possible for us to skip commercials ! But then the "Devil" got into our PCs with pop-ups, pop-ups, pop-ups -- sne aky beasts hard to get rid of. If I tell my system NO effing pop-ups,HIGH, period, it asks me every damn time whether I "allow" one. Then I go bac k to "medium" and it starts again.
Grrrrr!
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:16:11 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

Cable channels are going to be a mixed bag. Some, like the news channels have all of their content on the web. Things like History or Discovery will be cable only at this time although netflix and some of the other stream services will have a lot of the content on their site

Just about the only thing that is actually live is news and sports. Occasionally they have some special show that they do live but most was recorded a while ago. Cable channels tend to repeat everything several times a day. Jon Stewart plays at 11PM, repeated at 1AM and 730PM the next day. It actually records at around 6-7PM. It is on the web by the time the 1AM repeat goes up.

Can't you get all of the OTA channels with an antenna?

So hook a PC to your TV. People get hung up on the idea that a PC is something on a desk with a steno chair and a regular monitor. I have a half dozen PCs around here and the only one that is on a desk is the one the kids use when they are here.
This is a PC that runs off that Seeburg wall box in the tiki bar next to my pool
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/judybar.jpg
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:16:11 PM UTC-5, Higgs Boson wrote:

Are those channels available on a PC or just via cable/sat? If on PC, are they available realtime or just delayed by a day, year, etc? And if so is that OK? And if it's just 10 channels, why not list them? Did you go to their source and find out what it says about how they are available?

Well, that isn't going to happen, unless by OTA you include satellite. CBS NYC isn't going to be broadcasting the Comedy Channel so you can see John Stewart, History Channel, etc.
I didn't know, as (one of you) asserts, that "virtually everything on TV is taped and broadcast later anyway". Anybody care to weigh in on this assertion? Might be relevant. I just do not know.

IDK the percentage, but the vast majority of what you see on OTA is taped, probably 95%.

You've lost me. The device I was referring to let you view your local OTA broacast channels on a PC for a fee. So, how is it that those channels, displayed on your PC, are not the "pink slime" you're bitching about? It looks more and more like you want premium content that everyone is paying for, for free.

Yes, the same OTA channels that you could receive with an antenna in your locationand that you're bitching about as no good. Technically, if you have a reception problem with OTA, it would allow you to get something OTA via the PC that you can't get via antenna, but that doesn't appear to be your problem.
Purportedly it serves the same function as a laptop hooked into HDMI.

You're wandering here. Example: "I can't watch John Stewart realtime on my PC, I want a widget that lets me do that on my TV.
I think most of us are confused as to what it is that you really want to do.
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:02:29 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

NO, NO, NO definitely NOT. Nothing to do with that local pink slime.

You are right. I will try to summarize/clarify as follows:
I may have confused things by adopting the expression seen on this thread --"OTA channels". Still not sure just what that means. If it means the awful stuff I got by trying an interior antenna, no, I do NOT want that.
I DO want the channels I was getting on cable. Does that make me a horrible person, as suggested by (Quote) "It looks more and more like you want premium content that everyone is paying for, for free." If I can't get those channels any way EXCEPT through re-subscribing to cable, that ends my quest.
Re: PC to TV, I explained several times that stringing cables from PC in office to TV in bedroom would be cumbersome, possibly dangerous, and certainly expensive, as I'd have to splice cables to cover the distance.
So the recommendation to get another PC in the bedroom to run the TV has merit. In fact, I might be able to get one for not much more than the price of all those office-to-bedroom cables and attachments that I priced at Best Buy.
Last variable is whether I can get what I want with the "Dongle" that's been described earlier in this thread as "like a small computer".
Some of the programs I was getting and that I want were: NOVA, Frontline, National Geographic, History, BBC, CNN international, Turner Classic Movies, the Comedy Channel, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.
Hope this clarifies things.
HB
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:50:04 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

local affiliates).
There are plenty of other "cable" shows with web sites that stream their content.
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:50:04 PM UTC-5, Higgs Boson wrote:

OTA = Over the Air, ie what is broadcast locally in ASTC and picked up by your antenna, if you have one. It's like TV worked 50 years ago and yes, it's the stuff you got with an interior antenna, assuming you had good signal, so you could get the various channels. One difference though is that a given station, say CBS, will typically have more than one channel now, which they use to supply more content.

It depends on what those channels are. Most of them, you're only going to get realtime via cable or satelite. Some have some content that's available for free. But they make their money to run these businesses by charging the cable company, sat company for the programming and not giving it away for free, so I don't think you're going to get the mainstream realtime programming on the internet.

Why do you need the PC? Folks have suggested relatively inexpensive standalone devices that allow you to watch whatever you're viewing on the internet on your PC.

Bingo

And can you watch what you want from those channels on your PC right now? If not, then you have your answer. I suspect you'll find they have some stuff you can watch, but I highly doubt it's going to be the normal scheduled programming that you've been watching on cable.

I'm not disagreeing with you trader4, just continuing.
But the difference between 200 channels of nothing, and 25 channels of "nothing" is not so much. My wife's favorite thing to watch is weather, and now it's on more than 10% of the available channels (OTA). The drama show she used to watch on cable, she watches on her computer. Once you get the "dongle", then there are several ways to get YouTube and other stuff (through your DVD player or TV). After 18 months without cable bills, I highly-recommend it. Of course, I was never a big TV fan in the first place. And the Internet mostly-superceded whatever role TV had.

Is there software for the equivalent of a DVR that runs on a PC?
Per bud--:

Yes.
SageTV is what I use, but Google bought them out and killed the product.
Microsoft Media Center - although I have not used it.
MythTV runs under Linux. I dabbled in it, but had problems that were probably unique to me.... but I dropped it and went with Sage.
I haven't watched an entire commercial in at least five years.
--
Pete Cresswell

My TV tuner card was 20 bucks after rebate.
Higgs Boson wrote:

Do you live in an area served by this company?
https://www.aereo.com/
It works very well!
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
On 2/23/2014 1:16 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Now, I have another question: are these live programs being broadcast on one of the over-the-air networks such as ABC, CBS, or NBC, which were made available via cable to you by your cable provider, or are these programs broadcast only on paid cable networds such as HBO?
Obviously, if these are network tv shows, and if you're not too far away from the broadcasting towers, you can just add an antenna to your tv to pick them up for free. There are currently no live streaming applications for major US over-the-air television networks, with the exception of Aerio, which requires a monthly fee and is only provided in a few markets.
But if they're, say, shows on, say, HBO or Showtime, *and* you want to watch them in real time, you'll still need a cable subscription. Sorry. Or maybe you could find a friend or neighbor who has HBO and would sign up for HBO Go and let you access it that way.
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:37:19 PM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

This is hopeless. In a week long thread, the OP still hasn't made it clear WTF he's trying to do. The original post was about watching the "internet" on a TV. You can watch youtube on a TV for free, you can watch netflix, but you have to pay for that, you can watch some traditional cable channels that have some content, but from what i've seen it's not real time. But you sure as hell can't watch most of the cable channels on your PC at the same time they are broadcast to paying customers on all the cable networks.
Then it he says the OTA free broadcast channels are no good because of the content. So, WTF is it that he wants to do? Watch HBO or National Geopgraphic, realtime, for free? WTF?

Do you watch a lot of TV Graham? Just wondering! :)
--
Jax