OT: Used laptop to view Internet on TV

means not watching LIVE. Like I just caught Jon Stewart's show of last nig ht on PC today. Means I have to sit in front of PC.

that plugs right into the TV's HDMI, are right up my alley, because that g adget -- what was the name again? -- would enable receiving programs LIVE.

ning from PC one room to TV in another. All the cables and other shit woul d add up to quite a bit, so I will explore the options suggested that (a) p lug into TV or (b) can direct TV in same room.

I didn't & don't watch the "regular" CNN, but there is an international CNN that has much more interesting stuff.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I just used CNN as a metaphor. All of the news outlets have all of their stuff on their web site, probably all of your local news too.

You are basically just web surfing on your TV but this isn't that 25" NTSC hog the Web TV folks suffered through. A modern flat screen is impressive as a PC monitor. That is why they have a VGA port

Reply to
gfretwell

It's no more censorship than McAffee or Microsoft requiring you to have a license key to use their product and thereby limiting how many copies you can install. Is that censorhsip? If a company puts $100mil into making a movie, it seems perfectly reasonable that they can use HDMI or whatever technology they please, to limit your ability to copy, store, replay it, etc. to protect what they own. And if you don't like it, then you don't have to buy and/or watch it.

Yes, they could also call the tanks out into the streets. But if it gets to that it would seem to me that they'd be more interested in controlling the content of the CBS evening news as it's created, by having an actual censor sitting there, not using HDMI on it so you couldn't copy it, store it, etc.

Reply to
trader4

:

It's the live programming that's the problem. Whatever device you connect between the internet and TV, it's only going to play in real time whatever you can see on your PC in realtime. It doesn't solve the John Stewart problem you cited. I haven't looked, but I would suspect most of the premium cable content isn't available real time via PC, but you should know if you can watch what you want to watch real time on the PC. If you can then the options posed can work. If you can't then you're hosed.

10) channels out of about 500 that interest me.

ms on TV like I used to with cable.****

here all day in curlers and WATCH this stuff? (Snarky sexist stereotyping. ..)

means not watching LIVE. Like I just caught Jon Stewart's show of last nigh t on PC today. Means I have to sit in front of PC.

that plugs right into the TV's HDMI, are right up my alley, because that ga dget -- what was the name again? -- would enable receiving programs LIVE.

I think you're confusing things. The widget that plug into your TV just allows you to see on the TV what you can see now on your PC. So, using your example, if you can't see John Stewart live on your PC, only a day later, then that's how it's going to work with the widget on the TV too. Someone did post a link to what looked like a device that allows you to see the OTA channels live, if they have the service avalailable in your area. But aren't those the channels you said you can already receive for free with an antenna, but you don't like the content? In that case you're just going to pay to watch what you can get for free and don't like.

ing from PC one room to TV in another. All the cables and other shit would add up to quite a bit, so I will explore the options suggested that (a) pl ug into TV or (b) can direct TV in same room.

Reply to
trader4

McAfee does not have hardware built into my machine to enforce whatever limits they want to put on the content I try to run

This is a lot easier and cheaper than actually rolling tanks and it can be done very quietly. I just think HDMI is a scam and we are falling for it without even understanding what we are buying into.

Reply to
gfretwell

What is "live TV" Virtually everything on TV is taped and broadcast later anyway. I try not to watch anything in real time. Right now I have CNN on but I am using my DVR to delay it an hour so I can skip the commercials.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sigh! This is getting hellishly complicated!

1 What I want: The same 10 or 12 (cable) channels I used to watch via Ver izon.
  1. I want them OTA. I didn't know, as (one of you) asserts, that "virtuall y everything on TV is taped and broadcast later anyway". Anybody care to weigh in on this assertion? Might be relevant. I just do not know.
  2. Quote: "Someone did post a link to what looked like a device that allow s you to see the OTA channels live, if they have the service avalailable in your area. But aren't those the channels you said you can already receive for free with an antenna, but you don't like the content." NO, NO, NO def initely NOT. Nothing to do with that local pink slime.

My understanding from the ads for this "Dongle" device is that it allows o ne to receive ALL OTA channels. Purportedly it serves the same function a s a laptop hooked into HDMI.

  1. I would like to watch TV in bed or in my TV chair, not in front of my PC where I spend too damn much time anyway!

HB

You see, there is a "God". SHE made it possible for us to skip commercials ! But then the "Devil" got into our PCs with pop-ups, pop-ups, pop-ups -- sne aky beasts hard to get rid of. If I tell my system NO effing pop-ups,HIGH, period, it asks me every damn time whether I "allow" one. Then I go bac k to "medium" and it starts again.

Grrrrr!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

No, but neither is anyone forcing you to view HDMI protected content if you don't choose to do so. What about cable boxes? Nothing in them to control what you have the right to view, what you've paid for, etc?

The minute the govt tries to use HDMI to limit freedom of the press, it would be front page news. And it would do no good. A govt that wants that kind of control has to control the NEWS and if you're going to do that, you'd do it at the source, not after the fact with HDMI.

I see it as a legitimate way to limit people from copying vidoes that cost $100mil to make and distributing them everywhere, illegally.

Reply to
trader4

Cable channels are going to be a mixed bag. Some, like the news channels have all of their content on the web. Things like History or Discovery will be cable only at this time although netflix and some of the other stream services will have a lot of the content on their site

Just about the only thing that is actually live is news and sports. Occasionally they have some special show that they do live but most was recorded a while ago. Cable channels tend to repeat everything several times a day. Jon Stewart plays at 11PM, repeated at 1AM and

730PM the next day. It actually records at around 6-7PM. It is on the web by the time the 1AM repeat goes up.

Can't you get all of the OTA channels with an antenna?

So hook a PC to your TV. People get hung up on the idea that a PC is something on a desk with a steno chair and a regular monitor. I have a half dozen PCs around here and the only one that is on a desk is the one the kids use when they are here.

This is a PC that runs off that Seeburg wall box in the tiki bar next to my pool

gfretwell

Are those channels available on a PC or just via cable/sat? If on PC, are they available realtime or just delayed by a day, year, etc? And if so is that OK? And if it's just 10 channels, why not list them? Did you go to their source and find out what it says about how they are available?

Well, that isn't going to happen, unless by OTA you include satellite. CBS NYC isn't going to be broadcasting the Comedy Channel so you can see John Stewart, History Channel, etc.

I didn't know, as (one of you) asserts, that "virtually everything on TV is taped and broadcast later anyway". Anybody care to weigh in on this assertion? Might be relevant. I just do not know.

IDK the percentage, but the vast majority of what you see on OTA is taped, probably 95%.

You've lost me. The device I was referring to let you view your local OTA broacast channels on a PC for a fee. So, how is it that those channels, displayed on your PC, are not the "pink slime" you're bitching about? It looks more and more like you want premium content that everyone is paying for, for free.

Yes, the same OTA channels that you could receive with an antenna in your locationand that you're bitching about as no good. Technically, if you have a reception problem with OTA, it would allow you to get something OTA via the PC that you can't get via antenna, but that doesn't appear to be your problem.

Purportedly it serves the same function as a laptop hooked into HDMI.

You're wandering here. Example: "I can't watch John Stewart realtime on my PC, I want a widget that lets me do that on my TV.

I think most of us are confused as to what it is that you really want to do.

Reply to
trader4

Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Now, I have another question: are these live programs being broadcast on one of the over-the-air networks such as ABC, CBS, or NBC, which were made available via cable to you by your cable provider, or are these programs broadcast only on paid cable networds such as HBO?

Obviously, if these are network tv shows, and if you're not too far away from the broadcasting towers, you can just add an antenna to your tv to pick them up for free. There are currently no live streaming applications for major US over-the-air television networks, with the exception of Aerio, which requires a monthly fee and is only provided in a few markets.

But if they're, say, shows on, say, HBO or Showtime, *and* you want to watch them in real time, you'll still need a cable subscription. Sorry. Or maybe you could find a friend or neighbor who has HBO and would sign up for HBO Go and let you access it that way.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

This is hopeless. In a week long thread, the OP still hasn't made it clear WTF he's trying to do. The original post was about watching the "internet" on a TV. You can watch youtube on a TV for free, you can watch netflix, but you have to pay for that, you can watch some traditional cable channels that have some content, but from what i've seen it's not real time. But you sure as hell can't watch most of the cable channels on your PC at the same time they are broadcast to paying customers on all the cable networks.

Then it he says the OTA free broadcast channels are no good because of the content. So, WTF is it that he wants to do? Watch HBO or National Geopgraphic, realtime, for free? WTF?

Reply to
trader4

NO, NO, NO definitely NOT. Nothing to do with that local pink slime.

You are right. I will try to summarize/clarify as follows:

I may have confused things by adopting the expression seen on this thread --"OTA channels". Still not sure just what that means. If it means the awful stuff I got by trying an interior antenna, no, I do NOT want that.

I DO want the channels I was getting on cable. Does that make me a horrible person, as suggested by (Quote) "It looks more and more like you want premium content that everyone is paying for, for free." If I can't get those channels any way EXCEPT through re-subscribing to cable, that ends my quest.

Re: PC to TV, I explained several times that stringing cables from PC in office to TV in bedroom would be cumbersome, possibly dangerous, and certainly expensive, as I'd have to splice cables to cover the distance.

So the recommendation to get another PC in the bedroom to run the TV has merit. In fact, I might be able to get one for not much more than the price of all those office-to-bedroom cables and attachments that I priced at Best Buy.

Last variable is whether I can get what I want with the "Dongle" that's been described earlier in this thread as "like a small computer".

Some of the programs I was getting and that I want were: NOVA, Frontline, National Geographic, History, BBC, CNN international, Turner Classic Movies, the Comedy Channel, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.

Hope this clarifies things.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Most of the PBS stuff is free on their web site (either PBS.ORG or the local affiliates).

There are plenty of other "cable" shows with web sites that stream their content.

Reply to
gfretwell

OTA = Over the Air, ie what is broadcast locally in ASTC and picked up by your antenna, if you have one. It's like TV worked 50 years ago and yes, it's the stuff you got with an interior antenna, assuming you had good signal, so you could get the various channels. One difference though is that a given station, say CBS, will typically have more than one channel now, which they use to supply more content.

It depends on what those channels are. Most of them, you're only going to get realtime via cable or satelite. Some have some content that's available for free. But they make their money to run these businesses by charging the cable company, sat company for the programming and not giving it away for free, so I don't think you're going to get the mainstream realtime programming on the internet.

Why do you need the PC? Folks have suggested relatively inexpensive standalone devices that allow you to watch whatever you're viewing on the internet on your PC.

Bingo

And can you watch what you want from those channels on your PC right now? If not, then you have your answer. I suspect you'll find they have some stuff you can watch, but I highly doubt it's going to be the normal scheduled programming that you've been watching on cable.

Reply to
trader4

I'm not disagreeing with you trader4, just continuing.

But the difference between 200 channels of nothing, and 25 channels of "nothing" is not so much. My wife's favorite thing to watch is weather, and now it's on more than 10% of the available channels (OTA). The drama show she used to watch on cable, she watches on her computer. Once you get the "dongle", then there are several ways to get YouTube and other stuff (through your DVD player or TV). After 18 months without cable bills, I highly-recommend it. Of course, I was never a big TV fan in the first place. And the Internet mostly-superceded whatever role TV had.

Reply to
Bill

Is there software for the equivalent of a DVR that runs on a PC?

Reply to
bud--

Per bud--:

Yes.

SageTV is what I use, but Google bought them out and killed the product.

Microsoft Media Center - although I have not used it.

MythTV runs under Linux. I dabbled in it, but had problems that were probably unique to me.... but I dropped it and went with Sage.

I haven't watched an entire commercial in at least five years.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I use Windows Media Center to record stuff off of my TV tuner card. My TV tuner card was 20 bucks after rebate.

Reply to
Metspitzer