OT--USB turntable

Page 1 of 2
Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl collection onto a computer. A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each. As a technical weakling, I'm consulting y'all to see if anyone's tried this unit or has any ideas regarding what I should be looking for. It seems like an easy to use unit, but I don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks for any advice.
On 6/29/2009 8:37 PM Pdk Pdk spake thus:

I'd be skeptical. Sounds like it might be a real POS.
Why not just get a *real* turntable (there are still shitloads of them out there for sale) and run it through any inexpensive receiver? You'll get much better results that way.
(But no, I haven't actually tried these devices.)

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:51:38 -0700, David Nebenzahl

I agree I found a Dual on Ebay for $20 and it looked brand new. All I had to do was hook the cartridge output to the MIC IN on the sound card with an RCA to 1/8" phono adapter and I was ripping vinyl.
On 6/29/2009 10:17 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

Can't see how that could work well at all; microphone inputs aren't made for magnetic cartridges. RIAA equalization and all that, you know.

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:44:42 -0700, David Nebenzahl

I guess nobody told my PC. Once ripped into an MP3 and played in my car it sounded OK to my tin ear but I don't have those $200 oxygen free speaker cables and solid gold receptacles.
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:44:42 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Not perfect, but it works. Might need a pre-amp with a mag cartridge. Or use a cheap turntable with a Xtal cartridge.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not quite. You really need equalization. That's why you must run it through an RCIA preamp, or as another said, through a receiver (which has the RCIA equalizer). I'm sure there may be software with built in equalization to make it work directly, but I haven't seen it. I briefly checked Adobe Audition and didn't see it there.
Art Todesco wrote: (stuff omitted)

Oops, I meant RIAA. RCIA is from different life.

Adult convert to Catholicism, are you?
Doug Miller wrote:

Actually, a Catholic Church organist.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Can't imagine how that would work. The signal is very low level so it needs to be amplified and RIAA equalization needs to be performed.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hi, Phono input and line level mic. input is not equal! Maybe tht TB had El Cheapo piezo cartridge?

"Sounds like it might be a real POS"
Great words of wisdom from someone who states he hasn't tries either of the devices!!
I have the ION and got it for Christmas three yr. ago from my children. They have been around for a long time and the price hasn't changed much in that time ($150.00 range). The ION works well, but consider the fact that after you have copied all your vinyl you have a very expensive dust collector of the shelf. Mine is !!
Bill in Plano
On 6/30/2009 8:47 AM Bill Hall spake thus:

I admitted as much; what's your problem?

Well, then, if not a POS (I'll have to take your word for that), then still needlessly expen$ive, as real turntables can be had for less than $20 in many cases. (Especially if it becomes a dust collector as you say.)

Bill Hall wrote:

There should be lots of turntable on ebay and CraigsList. I sold, actually, gave away, a nice turntable for $10. I acquired a linear tracking Technics for free, but had to invest about $20 for a new cartridge/needle. I also acquired a very consumer mike mixer, which has an RIAA input for phone cartridge. I could also use my stereo receiver, however, I wanted something that I could use at the computer station for capture.
Bill Hall wrote:

    Well, looks like you might have a chance to sell it now if you'd like :-)
--
PB
"I suspect you\'re an arrogant little pissant who grew up in the

That won't get the music onto CD or MP3. However, there are software packages that allow you to pluf a standard turntable into a standard sound card to do the deed.
On 6/30/2009 7:49 PM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

It will if you plug the receiver into the sound card. That's how I've been doing it for years.

On Tue 30 Jun 2009 07:58:06p, David Nebenzahl told us...

I use a small phono preamp that provides RIAA curve equalization and output to the PC's sound card.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On 6/30/2009 9:09 PM Wayne Boatwright spake thus:

Right, same difference.
I wonder if you can even buy those little preamps anymore? Used to be able to get them even from Radio Shack (ugh).