OT UPS battery protection

The standard is a DB25 but there is a smaller variant, the DE9. A DB9 would be the same size as a DB25 and as many of these mini-D shell connectors as I've used, I've never seen a DB9. ;-)

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Will it automatically reconnect to a dial-up?

I tried hibernate during shutdown by using the shift key and 'hiberbate' button instead of 'shut down'. But that wasn't helpful because I still had to start everything up and reconnect to dial up as usual when I woke it up. I need to see if it will hibernate when all my usual software is running and I'm on line.

Reply to
KenK

Hibernate IS shutdown. The magic happens on restart.

Boot is an interactive process with the hardware that programs all those flip-flops to the states required for operation in the proper sequence.

Restart from hibernate reads the memory state back off the disk and reinstates it. I don't know the details, but there's surely something that attempts to get all the hardware back into the required states.

Problem with dialup is that you may not know the internal states of the modem or the phone system or the ISP at shutdown or restart. I'd put an icon on the desktop to restart the internet. There's probably a way to put it in the resume from hibernate process, but likely not worth the effort to learn all that.

That's why I gave up on hibernate years ago. Worked well when

16MB of ram was the norm. With a lot of ram, it can take nearly as long to read if back off the disk as to boot.

Measure the power consumption of your system in sleep mode. Mine's 10-watts. Doesn't take a huge battery to keep it alive for a prolonged power outage.

Reply to
mike

There is a big difference between "sleep" and "hibernate". Sleep is a low power operating state, with HDD and screen shut off and processor "idling" - Hibernate is system state saved, and system shut down - no processor activity.

Some systems support "wake on ring" or "boot on ring" to start the computer by calling the modem. Pretty dodgy from distant past memory.

Reply to
clare

I've always heard it called a DB9 and never a DE9.

N8N

Dial up? I don't believe I've ever connected it to a phone line.

First, don't use hibernate. Use sleep. Second, there is no way it'll maintain the connection when in either sleep or hibernate. It will at least have to redial.

Reply to
krw

No. Hibernate saves state to the disk before shutting down.

It also happens when going into hibernate. If you shut down the current state isn't saved so there is no way to restore.

Yes, but that state (and the system state) have to be saved before they can be restored.

Yes.

The phone system is the issue. You don't control Ma. ;-)

You don't want hibernate. Use sleep. A computer will reconnect to the Internet if you're using some "always on" system, like a cable modem, or DSL. It just takes my laptop longer than I'd like. My netbook reconnects almost immediately on waking up (from sleep mode).

That's why you use sleep instead of hibernate.

That sounds high but so what?

Right. I have mine set to wake up from sleep and go into hibernate if the batteries go too low.

Reply to
krw

Yes, but wake up on LAN seems to work fairly well.

Reply to
krw

You have always heard it called the wrong thing then. It is a DE-9 , but almost always called a DB-9.

There are atleast 5 of the D connectors. DA,DB,DC,DD,DE.

Almost every one does call them DB connectors even though it is wrong.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

What should a 2.8 GHZ quad-core desktop draw in sleep? It's 3W when OFF.

I've not had much success with that. With aging batteries and a battery gauge that seems ok down to 50% then drops instantly to 0. I've often had the thing shut down before completing the hibernate save.

Reply to
mike

OK, what is the 15 pin high density D connector used for VGA called????

Reply to
clare

Actually it depends on the manufacturer. Technically they are sub D connectors, and the hiigh density Sub D cunnectors are generally referred to as either HD or DH - most commonly HD. Some manufacturers call all sub D connectors as DB, 8, 15, 25, 37 or 50 pin standard density. Cannon invented the sub-d connector and the Cannon nomenclature is as you stated - but virtually every other producer uses the DB designation, rightly or wrongly.

Reply to
clare

3W. Tops! The CPU doesn't matter much. It's all but dead in any case.

There really isn't much difference.

What can I tell you? Crap sells too.

Reply to
krw

DE-15. It's size is "DE" and 15-pins.

Reply to
krw

They are wrong. The second letter is the size of the shell, with the number of pins following.

Wrongly. No surprise though, many connectors have messed up street names.

Reply to
krw

Street names? That gives me visions of over size baseball caps, bling, and home boys packing a nine. Pants on the ground.

Yo, man, slip me a sub D connecto fo dis serial po. Ma tow ain doin no UPS shut down. Know ahm sayin?

. Christop A. Yo Learn about Big J www.lds.o .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon