OT: U.S. Army’s new self-steering bullet comes with tiny fins that guide it to its target

This is too damn cool!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ready, fire, aim! U.S. Army’s new self-steering bullet comes with tiny fins that guide it to its target
By Katie Silver Last updated at 10:13 AM on 31st January 2012
A bullet that can steer itself has been developed by national security researchers for widespread use by the army. US military researchers have developed the technology that will see regular army soldiers shooting with the accuracy of snipers.
In fact the four-inch-long, dart-like bullet is so effective that it can hit a target, guided by a laser, two kilometers away.
It works through an optical sensor in the nose of the bullet which detects a laser beam on a target. The sensor then sends information to guidance and control electronics that uses an algorithm to calculate direction. The bullet then steers itself, via tiny fins, to the target.
The game-changing ammunition was designed by Sandia – the US government arm which develops science technologies to improve national security.
'This is intended for Private Snuffy, not for a highly trained Special Forces guy,' developer Red Jones told The Register. ‘We’re making it simple for everyone to use.’
Sandia is now seeking a private company partner to finish testing and produce the bullet:
‘We have a very promising technology to guide small projectiles that could be fully developed inexpensively and rapidly,’ said Jones who hunts in his spare time.
<pic> A tiny LED attached to a self-guided bullet at Sandia National Laboratories shows a bright path during a nighttime field test that proved the battery and electronics could survive the bullet's launch </pic>
Unlike most bullets which have grooves or rifling to enable them to spin and fly straight, the new design is smooth-bore. To enable a bullet to turn in flight toward a target and to simplify the design, the spin had to go, Jones said. Now it flies straight both because it is aerodynamically stable and the tiny fins enable it to fly without spin, just as a dart does, he said.
While engineering issues remain, computer modelling has shown the new design could prove very accurate. Using a computer simulation, an unguided bullet could miss a target one kilometer away by 9.8 yards whereas the guided bullet was only off by 8 inches. With regular gunpowder, the bullet can travel up to 2,400 feet per second. With customised gunpowder, researchers are sure this could be faster.
‘We’re confident in our science base and we’re confident the engineering-technology base is there to solve the problems,' Jones said.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2094256/Armys-new-self-steering-bullet-comes-tiny-fins-guide-target.html
On 2/1/2012 10:03 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2094256/Armys-new-self-steering-bullet-comes-tiny-fins-guide-target.html
wow! I might even be able to hit a target with those!
--
Jenn
(posting from Thunderbird)

Now if they just make it for Deer hunter, they it will go to less accidents, to go accidents at all...
--
Disallow: /
Hot-Text said this :

Unless it was intentionally aimed at a hunter...
On 2/1/2012 10:03 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2094256/Armys-new-self-steering-bullet-comes-tiny-fins-guide-target.html
Looks like one hell of an assassination weapon to me. o_O
TDD

Amazing how electronics could withstand the G forces. Yet another bloodsucker for the US taxpayer.
harryagain explained :

Given the high cost of the Excalibur, it will be a very expensive round indeed!
Eagle wrote:

Depends on how you measure "cost." In WWII, bombing raids were counted in sorties per target. Now they're counted in targets per sortie. That is, during WWII, it might take 10,000 bombs, carried by 400 aircraft over a period of weeks to put one factory out of business. Today, one bomber can leave Missouri, fly to Kosovo or Afghanistan, destroy 25 targets, and return to Missouri. One sortie, 25 targets.
Sure, each newer bomb costs $25,000 whereas each of the 10,000 cost a few hundred, but the effectiveness is quite economical.
On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:03:46 -0600, G. Morgan

Uh Oh...... These presidential candidates better watch out. They could be in Florida doing a campaign speech, which is live on tv. Some gun crazed nut could be in Alaska, aim the gun at his tv, and the bullet would travel all the way to Florida (via satellite) and take the life of the candidate.
That would really suck, because then they would have to get more (new) candidates, and all of us would have to listen to all the negative campaigning all over again.....
Either that, or we would all go to the polls in November and there would be no names on the ballots, and we'd have to run the country ourselves. What a shame that would be.... Can you just imagine the USA being run by a plumber, a farmer, an auto mechanic, a fireman, a fast food burger flipper, a nurse, a housewife, and an enemployed wino. Damn, just think of the horrors of EVERYONE having a job again, (except the wino), and having to face a country that is no longer owned and operated by only the most wealthy..... The horrors of it all!!!
G. Morgan formulated the question :

That would be lethal! I was wondering what the ballistics were for this bullet. This reminds me of the Army's new artillery round that guides itself to the intended target. It's called "Excalibur"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-lj5QvZYBo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2094256/Armys-new-self-steering-bullet-comes-tiny-fins-guide-target.html
Are they available to deer hunters?
Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

"TWO LEGED DEAR" O you did see one well there are plenty Like in NYC Detroit Los Angeles ETC.
Steve B wrote:

I need cases of them for the zombie apocalypse!
Check with www.cheaperthandirt.com soon for availability.
On 2/1/2012 11:03 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

Sounds like the smart bullet Gene Simmons fired in the Movie "Runaway"